LightBox Photography magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

emollientcolt

Aug 20, 2003
Punggol Drive
hi, i hear there is a photography magazine in town known as Lightbox.
Anyone knows where to get them? :D

NitroTech said:
advice: don't expect too much from the mag (IMO). :)

Hi NitroTech, just heard there is a topic on darkroom. just like to check it out. :)
Thanks for viewing and replying.

NitroTech said:
advice: don't expect too much from the mag (IMO). :)

so, what are u expecting from LOCAL photography magazine??

by the way, how MANY company dare to stand out and INVITE photographers to publish the mag and accept critique like "DON'T EXPECT MUCH"...

can't there be more POSITIVE feedback on how to improve than cold water all round...

imgine if u are the Chief editor, WHAT can u come out with??? can u take the "DON'T EXPECT MUCH"... comments???

i'm neither the editor nor the contributor, but at less support local market... $4.90 is not a killer inside a photographer's pocket right??

reignman77 said:
so, what are u expecting from LOCAL photography magazine??

by the way, how MANY company dare to stand out and INVITE photographers to publish the mag and accept critique like "DON'T EXPECT MUCH"...

can't there be more POSITIVE feedback on how to improve than cold water all round...

imgine if u are the Chief editor, WHAT can u come out with??? can u take the "DON'T EXPECT MUCH"... comments???

i'm neither the editor nor the contributor, but at less support local market... $4.90 is not a killer inside a photographer's pocket right??

Well, I did not say that it's a completely lousy mag. And it's encouraging to see a local photo mag being published.

It does have some good articles which did help me. And I think it's a pretty decent mag for beginners. But they need to do something about the grammar and spelling mistakes and probably the layout too. (all these comments are just my personal point of view. You can agree/disagree but you don't have to get so worked up)

If i was the chief editor....... well....... I guess if i can take the good comments then I must (note: MUST) be able to take the bad ones as well. Agree? Disagree? No need to get worked up again ok?

$4.90 is not a lot of money, I agree(i got my copy for free). But I will rather pay $49 for something i like rather then pay $0.49 for something i don't. (Agree/Disagree? No need to get worked up if you disagree).

Actually there two more mags, one you need to pay and the other is free. They are Grain & PhotoI. PhotoI is free.

NitroTech said:
Well, I did not say that it's a completely lousy mag. And it's encouraging to see a local photo mag being published.

It does have some good articles which did help me. And I think it's a pretty decent mag for beginners. But they need to do something about the grammar and spelling mistakes and probably the layout too. (all these comments are just my personal point of view. You can agree/disagree but you don't have to get so worked up)

If i was the chief editor....... well....... I guess if i can take the good comments then I must (note: MUST) be able to take the bad ones as well. Agree? Disagree? No need to get worked up again ok?

$4.90 is not a lot of money, I agree(i got my copy for free). But I will rather pay $49 for something i like rather then pay $0.49 for something i don't. (Agree/Disagree? No need to get worked up if you disagree).

at less i know that this mag is targeting average and ameture photographers IN S'pore. t

he sentence of "DON'T EXPECT MUCH" just because its doesn't help u... your english is too "POWERFUL" which may cost u.....

at less i know, u won't have the chance to be a chief eidito is not, u should know that the sentence u make may cause u a legal case with the company....

Actually we have a lot of very good local magazines. Take for example automobile enthusiast magazines. There are 4 major ones: Torque, Motoring, Car Singapore, and Wheels Asia. I think these are all very good and I subscribe to 2 of them. I think if Lightbox can be as good as any of the car magazines cited above then I think it's good enough. As good in the areas of editorial quality, image reproduction quality, etc.

To a good year ahead for all our Singapore photo magazines.

:cheergal:

Aahh, I've seen Lightbox and found out that some of the pics there have a lot of spots, check out those travel pics, maybe they scan without "ICE". :D

reignman77 said:
at less i know that this mag is targeting average and ameture photographers IN S'pore. t

he sentence of "DON'T EXPECT MUCH" just because its doesn't help u... your english is too "POWERFUL" which may cost u.....

at less i know, u won't have the chance to be a chief eidito is not, u should know that the sentence u make may cause u a legal case with the company....

Firstly I apologize if I have stepped on your toes. Was just giving my personal point of view.

Secondly, you mean I am not entitled to my own views/comments such that a legal case can be taken against me? For example, if I go to a restaurant and have a meal and after which the manager ask for my comments and I tell him that food did not meet my expectations, that he can take a legal case against me? Or If I choose Nikon over Canon because I feel that Canon is not as good as Nikon(just an example, no flames here from Canon users please) that I can have a legal case taken against me by Canon? Or if i go watch LOTR 3 and came out of the cinema and said "the show was not very good" and Peter Jackson will sue me? Wow! I bet those movie critics must be walking on thin ice!!

I have not condemned the magazine at all. When I say "don't expect much" I mean that there is still room for improvement. Why get so worked up?

NitroTech said:
Firstly I apologize if I have stepped on your toes. Was just giving my personal point of view.

Secondly, you mean I am not entitled to my own views/comments such that a legal case can be taken against me? For example, if I go to a restaurant and have a meal and after which the manager ask for my comments and I tell him that food did not meet my expectations, that he can take a legal case against me? Or If I choose Nikon over Canon because I feel that Canon is not as good as Nikon(just an example, no flames here from Canon users please) that I can have a legal case taken against me by Canon? Or if i go watch LOTR 3 and came out of the cinema and said "the show was not very good" and Peter Jackson will sue me? Wow! I bet those movie critics must be walking on thin ice!!

I have not condemned the magazine at all. When I say "don't expect much" I mean that there is still room for improvement. Why get so worked up?

Alright guys, think let's cool it off..I guess everybody's got a good intention here. One would like to see an improvement in the quality while another wants to support local photography publications.

Pardon my "kaypo-ness" but I think both points valid...I'm sure the editor will get to see the various comments and will definitely work to improve it. But on our part as LOCAL photographers, I strongly feel that we should continue to support and buy the magazines. Do not write it off just after an unsatisfactory issue. Instead, we should applause the effort, time and planning done by the editorial team to get such a mammoth task done.

Anyway, just my two cents worth...

Status
Not open for further replies.