Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

decennia

Sep 12, 2008
Singapore, Serangoon
random_001.jpg

hey, i want to seek some comments regarding the composition of the picture. In case you are wondering, this is a picture of a candle floating in a cup of oil. I was wondering if i should have shifted the flame to the middle of the picture or follow the rules of third, as shown in this picture. I would also appreciate if i could get some ratings for this photo say on a scale of 1 to 5? thanks a lot.

I'll give 1/5, but its has potential for 5/5.

Comments:

1. Out of Focus/Camera Shake. Think you took it handheld. You need a tripod and use something like f11 and focus on the rim of the cup - if that part is not moving. But if its moving than it will be a tough picture to make, unless you use really high ISO, like 1600 and above.

2. More of the outer circle, and to have space for the full outer circle.

3. Rule of thirds not really relevant here. The thing you need to balance is the light and dark areas. The dark space above is necessary to balance the lighted rim of the outer circle. As long as the light and dark feels balance, it is OK, whatever proportion that may end up to be.

1/5 for photo 3/5 for potential.

the subject is unappealing. i have shot lots of candle shots. I make it a point to add appeal rather than to bore viewers with the normal fire/flame/candle shots.I believe it would be much better had you shot from front not on top. It flattens out the 3d aspect of the flame which in a flame shot is essential.

espion, i dont think you really need high ISO to shoot candle shots. I always shot at ISO 80 or 100, suffice.
Since you are shooting light, no worries bout it being dark

1/5 for photo 3/5 for potential.

the subject is unappealing. i have shot lots of candle shots. I make it a point to add appeal rather than to bore viewers with the normal fire/flame/candle shots.I believe it would be much better had you shot from front not on top. It flattens out the 3d aspect of the flame which in a flame shot is essential.

espion, i dont think you really need high ISO to shoot candle shots. I always shot at ISO 80 or 100, suffice.
Since you are shooting light, no worries bout it being dark

alright will work on it...thxs.. and yes i took it hand held....will try one with a tripod tho..

Status
Not open for further replies.