Light Years Away

Jayson_Ang

Dec 26, 2005
screenshot20100807atam0.png

Hi, noobie here. just need honest critiques to make this a better picture.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Anything you observe.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Evoke a sense of euphoria within you.
You would want to print this and put it in your bedroom on the wall, drawer etc.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Overcast skies, misty. Very cold temperature.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Definitely can be better. Would really prefer if some brave climber is standing on that mountain, so to give viewers a sense of scale of that mountain

Colours are needed. Black and white gives one the impression that the photographer is trying to hide some imperfections.

first thing i see, gray. second thing i felt, despair. no joy, just like a dead city feel. black and white is fine, and doesnt necessarily mean that its to hide imperfections.

very subjectless, i have no idea wad to see. try harder next time :)

The title is simply wrong. The sun is only 8.5 light minutes away. Nothing against freedom of art.. but that's a bit too 'free' :)

I dont think i want this on my wall. I think i'll be emo all day if i'm staring at this every morning when i wake up!:bsmilie: Give it some colour!

I dont think i want this on my wall. I think i'll be emo all day if i'm staring at this every morning when i wake up!:bsmilie: Give it some colour!

i LOLed @ your comment!

Anyhow, TS, can post the original?

Colours are needed. Black and white gives one the impression that the photographer is trying to hide some imperfections.

In that case, darn, Ansel Adams is playing hide and seek with us all along.

first thing i see, gray. second thing i felt, despair. no joy, just like a dead city feel. black and white is fine, and doesnt necessarily mean that its to hide imperfections.

very subjectless, i have no idea wad to see. try harder next time :)

you felt despair, no joy ... that's my motivation. i have achieved my objective to evoke a sense of isolation in viewers. thank you.

The title is simply wrong. The sun is only 8.5 light minutes away. Nothing against freedom of art.. but that's a bit too 'free' :)

Thanks for the clarification. The title is just a figure of speech.

Thank you. I have done it.

Thank you for all the honest comments guys!

you felt despair, no joy ... that's my motivation. i have achieved my objective to evoke a sense of isolation in viewers. thank you.

are u ok?
u typed euphoria in ur first post, and

intense state of transcendent happiness combined with an overwhelming sense of contentment

it is NOT despair. :rolleyes:

and
You would want to print this and put it in your bedroom on the wall, drawer etc.
when

I dont think i want this on my wall. I think i'll be emo all day

and

that's my motivation. i have achieved my objective to evoke a sense of isolation in viewers. thank you.

o_O

i didnt wanna sound too harsh, but i think u got the wrong idea. so i'll make it clear, thats one photo i wont be putting up my wall too.

Last edited:
are u ok?
u typed euphoria in ur first post, and

intense state of transcendent happiness combined with an overwhelming sense of contentment

it is NOT despair. :rolleyes:

then you should be happy, cos you're you're appreciative that you're currently not in a state of despair. hence, you're feeling euphoric.

then you should be happy, cos you're you're appreciative that you're currently not in a state of despair. hence, you're feeling euphoric.

and i call that twisted logic.

why shld i be happy, when what i see in ur picture isnt makign me happy?

just because i'm not desparing doesnt mean i have to be hopping around like a mad rabbit. its not an either or case when it comes to happy vs sad. there is always the i dun feel anything.

why so serious? let's put a smile on that face, son.

Well no offence, but I seem to be moody after looking at your pic. Would be better adding colours like what most suggested.

On a good note, composition wise its good. The rays are nice but could be stronger.

just because i'm not desparing doesnt mean i have to be hopping around like a mad rabbit. its not an either or case when it comes to happy vs sad. there is always the i dun feel anything.

I think the TS is happy with his picture, not looking for improvements. Why bother? :rolleyes:

Ansel Adams' images have life, even though in black and white. Miles apart.:kiss:

Last edited:
well call me a n00b, but i find the simplicity and tranquillity of the shot pretty darn good.

For this kind of shot, I think lowering the exposure will greatly improve the overall tonal range in the image(the upper portion of the image lacks contrast); The shaft of light would have stand out more prominently against a darker background, also more interesting cloud texture.

Finally, some burning at upper right hand corner & the top of the image will help balance the composition. This is my thoughts about this image. Of course, darkening it may have given it a totally different feeling here. :think:

Regarding the subject of "evoking a sense of euphoria", I am not too sure about it here or in myself from this image. I think the 'tight view/cropping' and the 'substantial amount of dark shadow' at bottom could be preventing the viewers from having the kind of 'euphoria' feeling here. Remember, you see more when you were there taking the picture, not the viewers.

It is not a bad picture. Just a little bit of post processing to bring out the content. :thumbsup:

A word of advice for Jayson_Ang, this is a critique forum, so expect different views from others. Even if you disagree with some, you can at least thank them for their comments. There is no need to be overly defensive here; JUst let others express their views; You weren't get attacked if followed this advice. :)