light setup need feedbacks (long post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

akagi07

Apr 6, 2006
As per signature, I already owned 1 SB600, been reading up strobes, indoor and outdoor shoots, ps for my simple drawings, hope understandable. I'm putting aside a performance lens like 70-200 due to $$$ and rather make use of additional light for creative play,

current post is to point out the doubts I had, if I additionally purchase another SB600 / SB900, which be better investment?

I suppose since my D90 can be commander, using SB900 to mount on the cam and as commander would be silly ba.

need comments from strobist, expert in lights
illustration 1:
standardz.jpg

question 1: standard setup of using 1 flash with umbrella outdoor with 1 reflector for fill. for the flash, should it be overhead of the subject or directly leveled?

in another situation, if the environment was cool and sunny, but the sun was behind the photographer or somewhere else, lighting is sufficient under normal outdoor shoot, using illustration 1 above,

question 2: the flash act as a fill?

illustration 2:
2flashs.jpg

instead of using a reflector, if own 2 flash, flash in B position can be used as fill with lower output right?

ok apart from the above..
currently my SB600 served me well for normal situation, which so call as fact, the flash allow lights to reach 85mm far, sorry as this part I may not understand fully.

question 3:Given additionally SB900, will I benefit for greater reach say to cover event?

question 4:heard SB900 given in a big hall, is able to provide longer fill of the surrounding compared to a SB600, is this true?

1: Standard would be 45degrees above subject.
2: Possible.
3: Not sure what you mean, but the focal length indicated by the flash is just the angle of coverage of the flash, not the reach of it.
4: Not sure what you mean by "longer fill", but SB900 is more powerful than SB600.

I'll try to answer some of your questions..

Qn1: It should be just a notch above your subject's eye level, too high overhead and it'll cast shadows in the eye sockets.. Thats the basic 3-point lighting diagram you have there, if you're setting for the flash to be your key light (aka main light), then the "main light source" (I'm assuming it the sun) is actually the rim..

Qn2: Setup 2 is in essence a variation of the 1st setup, but with the key difference that you can control your lighting ratios.. For example, you can make it 1:1 for that wraparound look or 8:1 for a more contrasty look..

Qn3: The SB-900 has a much higher GN and 200mm zoom if you ever need to throw light that far in an event. Usage wise I can't really comment, so I'll leave it to the Nikon users who have a SB-900..

Qn4: Yup, the SB-900 is much more powerful so it'll fill up a large venue much easier than the 600.. Though if there isn't much ambient in the hall in the first place, you can easily compensate with a higher ISO and/or larger aperture..

thank you J-Chan for the details

ok addon:
D90 commander works only in line of sight, so in order to have constant connection, wireless trigger would be preferred.
I checked that there are models on PT-04 transmitter, got version 2 and 3.

Any differences?

My 2 cents here.

I think u need not buy another nikon speedlight unless ure deciding on a backup flash also. If u venture to off camera, u will know that manual flashes do just great, just need to have modifiers. For flashes, you can look at yongnuo YN460. I bought the second version and quite like it. And furthermore its cheap.

For triggers, look at RF602 and CTR-301p from dealextreme.com. Theres also raving reviews about RF602 and CTR301p triggers. RF602 is like 100% reliable and range high. CTR is the same but doesnt have range but have an extra SU4. If u decide on those triggers, give me a PM, maybe we can buy together for abit cheaper rates.

My 2 cents here.

I think u need not buy another nikon speedlight unless ure deciding on a backup flash also. If u venture to off camera, u will know that manual flashes do just great, just need to have modifiers. For flashes, you can look at yongnuo YN460. I bought the second version and quite like it. And furthermore its cheap.

For triggers, look at RF602 and CTR-301p from dealextreme.com. Theres also raving reviews about RF602 and CTR301p triggers. RF602 is like 100% reliable and range high. CTR is the same but doesnt have range but have an extra SU4. If u decide on those triggers, give me a PM, maybe we can buy together for abit cheaper rates.

RF602 is like 100% reliable and range high.. erm by who and any review? I cant find.
it doesnt even come cheaper anyway..

go to strobist group in flickr and search for the thread.. 30usd from DX. If you think its ex than got cheaper route, buy slave trigger hotshoe thing from either ebay or local stores here.

So far i have onli seen their reviews discussed alot, but not those PT-04 triggers anymore.. From wat i see is ppl are willing to pay for this product.

Status
Not open for further replies.