Light sensitive glasses

Status
Not open for further replies.

zOOm

May 23, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
I wonder if anyone have those glasses (i.e spectacles) that darkens when expose to light, return to clear when in dark/shady areas; I find pretty useful especially when you are driving, but wonder what its real effectiveness & reliability; anybody can share his/her experiences?

I was thinking of getting one; they sells at $188, frame + glasses.

walk into the shop & ask for it
"photogray lens"

it reacts to UV & turns to grey, there used to be a brown one, (not sure if it's still avail.)
IMO, it'll be for more fun then serious shading,
the fact that it'll never be as drark as shades & if ya're indoor shelter like glas panel, it won't turn
( sounds like the UV has already been filtered )
& since it's UV lens, it's yellowish in nature

but surprisingly, it turns out very darkwhen ya have ya photo taken.

plastic ones cost more, glass are chaepr but with limited index.

look ard for a cheaper deal, cost ard $70 to $120 (no lens only)

but somehow (when it turns, though ya hardly notice sometimes) if "looked" like ya have a polariser slapped onto ya glass
:cool:

eh, it turned V dark when I was in europe but never that dark when I'm back here... hm...

tucker,
Thanks for your info. so it is activated by UV.
hmmm ... interesting; v dark in europe but not in singapore.
so that means we got more clouds & protective ozone to filter the harmful UV in singapore, this is good sign I guess :)

mind if I know which part of europe you are refering too?
thanks!

Originally posted by tucker
walk into the shop & ask for it
"photogray lens"

it reacts to UV & turns to grey, there used to be a brown one, (not sure if it's still avail.)
IMO, it'll be for more fun then serious shading,
the fact that it'll never be as drark as shades & if ya're indoor shelter like glas panel, it won't turn
( sounds like the UV has already been filtered )
& since it's UV lens, it's yellowish in nature

but surprisingly, it turns out very darkwhen ya have ya photo taken.

plastic ones cost more, glass are chaepr but with limited index.

look ard for a cheaper deal, cost ard $70 to $120 (no lens only)

but somehow (when it turns, though ya hardly notice sometimes) if "looked" like ya have a polariser slapped onto ya glass

eh, it turned V dark when I was in europe but never that dark when I'm back here... hm...

Sunsensors right?
They get dark by exposure to UV light.

You may want to check out Capitol Optical (or was it Optical 88)?
I saw the poster outside @ Lot 1....

I believe that tucker was talking about lens/filters that were for the cameras... :D

Do a search on Sunsensors, and you would know more about them...

It's also called "photo chromatic lenses" ;)

Quite good to protect one's eyes against UV radiation but usually, after wearing it long enough, you will not notice it turning grey or black-ish.

However, caution is needed, because after prolong usage of these sort lenses, the lense themselves will remain yellow-ish grey (after 1-2 years) and never be truly clear.

Also, people will often think you have dark eye circles if you use these lenses. ;)

Cheers!

I'm refering to spectacles lens.
check ard last yr before I made a pair myself.

true that after a while, ya'll just got too use to it ( coz it;s not really as dark as shades) ya harldy notice that it turns, but it does make my world looked "poloarised" hahaha.

went to a couple of places, paris london, it's darkest there.. hahaha.....

but I'm not really sure if it's just a caoting or is it the lens element itself,
anyway, got my pair ard 160++ the lens cost me $68, it's the frame that's killing me....

have fun anyway.

wah ... after listening to all of you. I have second thoughts about getting one now. I think I will continue to rely on my clip-on sunglasses. thanks anyway :)

Originally posted by tucker
I'm refering to spectacles lens.
check ard last yr before I made a pair myself.

true that after a while, ya'll just got too use to it ( coz it;s not really as dark as shades) ya harldy notice that it turns, but it does make my world looked "poloarised" hahaha.

went to a couple of places, paris london, it's darkest there.. hahaha.....

but I'm not really sure if it's just a caoting or is it the lens element itself,
anyway, got my pair ard 160++ the lens cost me $68, it's the frame that's killing me....

have fun anyway.

ooops....
say wrongly!! :dent:
Sorry...

Status
Not open for further replies.