Not open for further replies.

richardfoo

Apr 19, 2006
Hi Folk:

any body know where to learn LR 2 ?

Or someone can teach.

thanks
:bigeyes::bsmilie:

I started out by using LR as a simple photo management software, which should be a pretty straightforward feature. Over time I gradually discovered its features bit by bit. I won't say I'm an expert at it but I did learn enough to speed up my workflow considerably. Some things you might need a quick read up on the internet or from books, but for the most part, I find LR to be pretty intuitive, unlike Photoshop CS3. Now that's a different story altogether. :sweat:

There is a book "Lightroom Adventure" (by Mikkel Aaland; O'REILLY), available in local book stores for about SGD 70. - Although written for LR1.4 most of the descriptions and screenshots are still usable for LR2.

michael is the guru.
he's scott kelby's mentor.:bsmilie:

Hi,
Does anyone here know how can I work on the same set of photos over a PC and Laptop?
In my case here is when I am at home, I will work on my lightroom on my PC but when I am out having some spare times (waiting for friends and etc), I would like to continue working on the same set of photos which I stopped on my PC.
How can I do that?
How can I copy out all the images and edited history to the laptop and back to PC again?
Hope some guru here can help me....

Thanks

Maybe you can sync / transfer the XMP files and stuff.

Hi,
Does anyone here know how can I work on the same set of photos over a PC and Laptop?
In my case here is when I am at home, I will work on my lightroom on my PC but when I am out having some spare times (waiting for friends and etc), I would like to continue working on the same set of photos which I stopped on my PC.
How can I do that?
How can I copy out all the images and edited history to the laptop and back to PC again?
Hope some guru here can help me....
Thanks
easiest way is to use the catalogue feature. If you want to transfer the files from the PC to the laptop for the first time, then make sure you check "export negative files" once edited on the laptop and you want to bring them back to the PC, again export as catalogue but this time leave the negative files out as they are already resident on both computers. When using catalogues LR will automatically check the files and synchronise

easiest way is to use the catalogue feature. If you want to transfer the files from the PC to the laptop for the first time, then make sure you check "export negative files" once edited on the laptop and you want to bring them back to the PC, again export as catalogue but this time leave the negative files out as they are already resident on both computers. When using catalogues LR will automatically check the files and synchronise

Hi, do the catalogue feature export the whole Folder directory or just a selected folder. What is negative file? Is it another copy of the 'Raw files' in another folder where you can stall in ur laptop?

Sorry for the noobs question :sweat:

Look workable, as my laptop is mainly a temp secondary working platform, hence don't need to always maintain a catalogues of all my work, only need to have the one that I am going to work on.
Reading from what u had explained. The Export part is quite clear, I need to try on the import part. Not sure if by importing the Catalogues will I have a duplicated catalogues....
I will try on that tonight....
Thanks you are really the Guru...:thumbsup:

Btw, while searching over the net for this solution, I came across a recommendation for a book named as "LightRoom2, The Missing FAQ". Anyone have this book? From the content pages (which I can only see on the author website) seem to cover quite a good range of topics. But only worried is the explaination in the book if not clear, say like no say, then waste money buying it.

Look workable, as my laptop is mainly a temp secondary working platform, hence don't need to always maintain a catalogues of all my work, only need to have the one that I am going to work on.
Reading from what u had explained. The Export part is quite clear, I need to try on the import part. Not sure if by importing the Catalogues will I have a duplicated catalogues....
I will try on that tonight....
Thanks you are really the Guru...:thumbsup:

Btw, while searching over the net for this solution, I came across a recommendation for a book named as "LightRoom2, The Missing FAQ". Anyone have this book? From the content pages (which I can only see on the author website) seem to cover quite a good range of topics. But only worried is the explaination in the book if not clear, say like no say, then waste money buying it.

This is what i'm looking for too, just want the current folder i'm working on. And wanted to update any changes back to PC.
How am i going to select that specfic folder or catalogue and update any changes?

Thank you so much, Lightroom Guru.

Any experiences with Light Room 2 crashing systems, locking up, go onto "Not Responding" etc etc. I have no idea about all of you, Light Room v1 sucks. The features are great, but it was not built to handle any meaningfully sized database.

Any experiences with Light Room 2 crashing systems, locking up, go onto "Not Responding" etc etc. I have no idea about all of you, Light Room v1 sucks. The features are great, but it was not built to handle any meaningfully sized database.

I am very happy with Lightroom V1.XX and it quite fast.
For Lightroom 2, then it become slow. The changes on Exposure and stuffs just don't response as fast as in V1.XX
Some time the PC hang and not response if I accidently make some major changes.... :confused:

Anyway, I hope there will some patches that will be released to fix these bugs.

This is what i'm looking for too, just want the current folder i'm working on. And wanted to update any changes back to PC.
How am i going to select that specfic folder or catalogue and update any changes?

Thank you so much, Lightroom Guru.
you select the files or folder you want to export, only those files will be exported. Negative files are your RAW or jpeg files, if you have them on your laptop / desktop already then you dont need to include them, just the info on the modification (content of xmp files). The catalogue is integrated into your current catalogue upon import. no duplication.

i am used LR2 and 1 on my old PC, 5y old... and things were going really slow with CPU running at 100% for long times... with the d70 files things were workable but the D300 files made useless... on the new iMac things are a breeze and i have no problems with CPU running over capacity... i think it all depends on brain power....

I am very happy with Lightroom V1.XX and it quite fast.
For Lightroom 2, then it become slow. The changes on Exposure and stuffs just don't response as fast as in V1.XX
Some time the PC hang and not response if I accidently make some major changes.... :confused:

Anyway, I hope there will some patches that will be released to fix these bugs.
i find the database access in LR2 much faster than in LR1. exposure and such was a problem on the old PC but with the iMac no problem

yesterday was my first try on LR2. After making few adjustment here on some of the photos and closed the LR2
but when i open the photos again all the adjustment was not save. How to save photos that have been touchup?

yesterday was my first try on LR2. After making few adjustment here on some of the photos and closed the LR2
but when i open the photos again all the adjustment was not save. How to save photos that have been touchup?

Sorry, when you say you open the file and the changes no saved. Which file you open? the original file (Jpeg or Raw) before you start working on? If you open the original file directly with other programs and not thru lightroom, you will not see the changes.
From my understanding, the thing about lightroom is that it will not make any changes to your original files, it will just overlay all the changes you made in the lightroom only. After you done with the changes and happy with it, you then export the files as Jpeg, tiff or etc (as long as not export as "Original"). These export files will have the changes you made.
Hope my reply will be helpful to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.