Light Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziploc

Jan 17, 2002
Snoopyland
Ok... as promised last time, here are some of the pics I taken by performing some "painting of light".

Vanishing Turn
121-2123_IMG_s.jpg

Body Parts
121-2126_IMG_s.jpg

Sorcery of Fire
121-2143_IMG_s.jpg

Spark of Life
121-2132_IMG_s.jpg

Dances of Light
121-2129_IMG_s.jpg

Originally posted by ziploc
Ok... as promised last time, here are some of the pics I taken by performing some "painting of light".

Scocery of Fire
121-2143_IMG_s.jpg

Hi ziploc,

Nice work. And this is my favourite. But I think the shot would be even better if the statue is slightly brighter, to show the features on the face of the statue. If you shine a torch light on it sometime during the exposure, it might creat the effect of the face brighten by the light of the fire.

Interesting statue. Where did you get it from?

Originally posted by roygoh
Hi ziploc,

Nice work. And this is my favourite. But I think the shot would be even better if the statue is slightly brighter, to show the features on the face of the statue. If you shine a torch light on it sometime during the exposure, it might creat the effect of the face brighten by the light of the fire.

Interesting statue. Where did you get it from?

Thanks roy, I noticed that the statue was too dark after taking the shots too. I have some others where the statue was lit by the fire, but I choosen this because the fire looks the best on this one. Didn't think of lighting the statue with torch though. Good idea. Will try that next time, thanks! :)

Oh the statue... I got it from my trekking trip to Africa 2 years ago. :)

Originally posted by Kevin
Wow! How do you do that! :confused:

Very nice. :thumbsup:

Hi Kevin,

I was actually inspired by some post in the forum last time. To do this is rather simple actually, just setup your camera on a tripod in a dark room (a room that is dark enough, you don't need the dark room for developping films :)), set the camera to manual mode and set long exposure. I set mine to 5-15s depending of how bright the subject would be. Then open up the shutter and shine the subject with torch light or in this case, I've also used lighter. You can draw interesting patterns using the torch light/lighter. The multiple images of the statue was done by moving it around by switching off the torch light and then lighting it again once its ready. I got to do that fast though, as my G2 can only expose up to 15s max. :)

Very interesting and creative. Opens up lots of possibilities. Must try that some time.

Did you set manual focus or autofocus?

On second thought, that would not matter, because the aperture is very tiny, eh? So everything is in focus anyway...

Thanks StreetShooter :)

What I did was performed the auto focus with room light on, locked the focus, and then turned off the light. In the dark the autofocus couldn't function properly with the torch light/lighter. And you are right on about the aperture, I'd stopped it down to increase the DOF as I was moving the subject around and afraid it would go out of focus... :)

Hi Ziploc, very interesting shots! I like your "Sorcerry of Fire". For "Vanishing Turns" and "Body Parts", I think it would be better if you use a flat surface rather than the surface of your bed for the statue to stand on. Do you agree? :)

Hi rty,

I would think so, but I couldn't find a proper flat surface that is nice. And that is not my bed, it's the top of my dry cabinet lined with a some sheet of don't know what material :)

Hi Kevin,

Sorry I don't have.

Ok I've used photoshop to bring out a little details of the statue... hope it looks better now :)

121-2143_IMG_sa.jpg

Originally posted by roygoh

How about this?

Hi Roy,

Guess I did a bad job on it... mine looked ok at home but I can see patches on the monitor in the office. Can tell me how you did the adjustment? Mask out the statue, then adjust the level is it? I tried that but it seemed to leave some dark edges at the side of the statue. Thanks.

Hi Roy,

Guess I did a bad job on it... mine looked ok at home but I can see patches on the monitor in the office. Can tell me how you did the adjustment? Mask out the statue, then adjust the level is it? I tried that but it seemed to leave some dark edges at the side of the statue. Thanks.

Hi Ziploc,

There is nothing much you can do with the original picture. There is just not enough information on the statue captured in that picture. That is why the colours became patchy when you tried to increase the brightness by masking out the statue. I tried that and it did not work also.

What I did was a little more complicated. The statue in the picture I posted was acually taken from your other picture "Body Parts". I found that the angle of the statue is similar in both the shots, so I cut pieces of the statue from "Body Parts" (pun intended ;) ), and assembled them on the final picture. I did some colour/brightness adjustment, and had to actually blur the joining areas to make the pieces blend and give a more natural look.

The picture I posted is a result of big time cheating :p . The intention was to give an idea of my original suggestion on the exposure. It would be great if you can try the shot again to achieve similar results.

- Roy

Hi Roy,

Ah I see... even so you are still very skilful in PS. At lesat much better then me ;p

Hi Roy,

Ah I see... even so you are still very skilful in PS. At lesat much better then me ;p

Thanks.

I originally used PS to touch up my scans from negative, as I do not have the DigitalIce feature to automatically remove dust and scratches in the scanned picture. Some of the scratches are so bad that I have to come up with creative cut-and-paste-and-message to get good results. ;)

- Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.