Light modifiers for Metz 58?

oyama85

Dec 29, 2006
Hi guys, I've been reading quite abit on flash light modifiers lately.
I thought I should get 1 to play around with, but guess I should ask for some opinions here 1st.
Im just wondering if those with Metz 58, actually use any of them under the usual 2 situations, with or without ceiling.

With a ceiling, will it make any difference/improvement?
Especially since the Metz 58 already have a smaller flash in front for filling purposes.

The only time I think its needed is when there's nothing to bounce off?
The question is, under such situations, which type/brand do you use?
Or do you just use direct flash?

I read and the popular choices are
1.Lumiquest Pocket Bouncer/Quik Bounce
2.Demb Flip-it
3.Stofen Omnibounce (Does it really help?)
4.Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible (imo juz too big for me)

Im thinking between 1/2/3.
I understand that each type is useful for different situations/purposes.
Being a noob, I just wanna know what you guys think/prefer of such light modifiers. :)
Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
Outside with nothing to bounce off, honestly hotshoe flash modifiers increase the size of the light source so marginally that the effect on the subject is minimal. Unless you stick the flash in an umbrella or a big soft-box I don't think you'll get much improvement outdoors without bounce.

Some like omnibounce and lightsphere are even worse and just dump light all over and only waste your battery juice and recharge time. What I recommend is to take the flash off-camera using optical/radio triggers or flash cord, depending on what you're shooting (events=flash cord for reliability and PTTL, simple strobist=optical since it's FOC and maintain PTTL, hardcore strobist=radio triggers for full control and no line-of-sight issues)

I have a Omnibounce and a Lambency (Lightsphere knockoff). The Omnibounce stays on the flash in storage since it's so small but most times it comes off the flash during a shoot anyway.

I have a large bounce card (approx size of a 2 hands) that is always slotted behind my camera bag. It always throws off enough light forward within 1.5-2m (ISO at 400 in some cases).
A novel way I've used before is to just bounce the flash off myself (esp. when I am wearing white)

Not a Pro in this but recently i just got this Spectra Light Bounce. Can be bought at http://www.artworkfoto.com/flash_accessories.html, think this is a 3rd party one.Not too sure about it. Some reviews of it here, http://www.techtheman.com/2009/06/spectra-light-diffuser.html

Was looking at the Demp Flip-it at first, but it can't be found locally. (Remember i read a thread in Clubsnap, that a 3rd party can be found in OP, but i went to down to ask but they don't carry it.) Therefore, if you are interested in it, you need to order online.

Hey thanks for the replies.

Darrr: Thanks for the recommendations, think I have lots more to read up about the triggers/cords part, haha.
Sometimes I just use my Kx and ask my fren to hold the Metz wirelessly.

pinholecam: Erm, how do you bounce the light off yourself? Unless you mean the cam is on a tripod?

So to sum up, either buy a big one, or dont bother, right?
Looks like I get to save some cash for once. lol

Ranchy: Thanks for the intro. Will read on the review.
So any personal thoughts on the item after using it?

Btw, I saw the artworkfoto site does have some other 3rd party models at lower prices, nice.

Actually I researched and found some links to get the Flip-it locally if your still interested, though I din contact them yet.
Demb Flipit - http://www.mcgill.com.sg/shop/produ...d=147&osCsid=9b6f9be29fe6e08eef7fa86a183eb8d3
3rd party - http://www.sgcamerastore.com/Flash-Diffusers/Universal-Bounce-Card-White-and-Silver-/prod_487.html

Last edited:
Oh yah, there's a Demp Flip it locally... Damn.. memories fail me again. I forgotten about it again.. ARgh....

For my 3rd party diffuser, well it works well for me, i don't use External Flash often (Only used it twice since i got it recently). Easy to carry around as it comes with a pouch. It has the diffuser panel for bounce or act directly as a diffuser. I can't say if it diffuse too much light when using as a diffuser. (As i'm using an old External Flash, i can only do the settings Manually. :embrass:)
Only i hope for it comes with 2 white bounce panel. It comes with one, so with those stickers, if i stick on both side, means i lose my white bounce.

Just my little comments on it. Sorry, i can't provide much review yet. Still Learning more on uses of External flash for now.

Hey thanks for the replies.

Darrr: Thanks for the recommendations, think I have lots more to read up about the triggers/cords part, haha.
Sometimes I just use my Kx and ask my fren to hold the Metz wirelessly.

pinholecam: Erm, how do you bounce the light off yourself? Unless you mean the cam is on a tripod?

So to sum up, either buy a big one, or dont bother, right?
Looks like I get to save some cash for once. lol

You'd need a wireless trigger or sync cord. Just hold the flash pointing towards your body (pref. white clothing). Alternatively, at a push. Just point the flash head back and invert the body (hard to press the shutter button though). :)

ranchy: No worries, I myself is a newbie, thanks for the sharing of info.
I was just thinkin, maybe you can buy thin strips of velcro and stick them to your white card/stickers at the side or something.

pinholecam: Thanks for the explaination! Never seen someone doing that before, interesting.

flowerpot: Haha, I agree. But just wanna play around with new toys =X, or for situations when there's no sun I guess?

I made a DIY bounce card like the lumiquest ultrasoft.

$1 for white coloured A4 sized foam sheet from artfriend, some velcro with double side tape, white drawer liner material from daiso for diffuser and voila.

works fine for macro. nice, soft shadows :) only problem is that its not very foldable / portable. need a bigger bag that lets u slot the whole thing in without folding.

why should it be wash out... u mean all the manufacturer design the flash to be used with modifiers ?

its about how you shoot.. not the type cap u put it on...:bsmilie:

:bsmilie: ok... since u put it THAT way... to be honest, i haven't really used it without a cap type diffuser (sto-fen knock-off)... i suppose its psychological ;p