Light modifiers for Godox AD200

Sonyguy

Jan 15, 2014
Sg
Hi! Flash noob here

I bought a AD200 to try.

Any recommendations for soft boxes to use with it? Will I need an adaptor?

Usually shoot portraits (in and outdoors) with Sony , at 85 or 135mm

I am hobbyist, not pro

Thanks for any advice!

Everybody starts off as a hobbyist.
Softbox is just one type of light modifier or diffuser. Just remember this, the larger the "reflector" the softer the light. For example people know of bouncing a speedlite or on camera flash against a wall or ceiling but if the surface is not white you have a colour cast in photo.Also bounce flash does not offer much control of light output or shaping. That said the earliest light modifier is the cheap umbrella. You can get good results if you know how to use them, shoot through or reflected light. Next comes the other smaller light modifiers like beauty dish, and other lights for background and hair or rim light. Then there are directional modifers like grids and snoots. This all may sound overwhelming to you now but after awhile you become a pro..haha. The question now is with just one light source (ad200) can you have good results and yes if thats all you have now. Good luck. Oh forgot to mention you will need ad200 mount adapter for softbox or beauty dish. Most probably to a bowen's mount or godox type. Important...for best results your flash is best OFF camera meaning you will have to use a wireless trigger or commander like godox Xpro of course you can use built in on camera flash as a master trigger with ad200 switched to slave mode but it has it's limitation as the ad200 sensor has to detect the light from the camera. The ad200 has a built in flash trigger reciever so you just buy the xpro commander. This also lets the xpro commander to set settings from it instead of going to the flash which save you time.

Shooting with just one light.

Umbrella vs softbox

Last edited:
Everybody starts off as a hobbyist.
Softbox is just one type of light modifier or diffuser. Just remember this, the larger the "reflector" the softer the light. For example people know of bouncing a speedlite or on camera flash against a wall or ceiling but if the surface is not white you have a colour cast in photo.Also bounce flash does not offer much control of light output or shaping. That said the earliest light modifier is the cheap umbrella. You can get good results if you know how to use them, shoot through or reflected light. Next comes the other smaller light modifiers like beauty dish, and other lights for background and hair or rim light. Then there are directional modifers like grids and snoots. This all may sound overwhelming to you now but after awhile you become a pro..haha. The question now is with just one light source (ad200) can you have good results and yes if thats all you have now. Good luck. Oh forgot to mention you will need ad200 mount adapter for softbox or beauty dish. Most probably to a bowen's mount or godox type. Important...for best results your flash is best OFF camera meaning you will have to use a wireless trigger or commander like godox Xpro of course you can use built in on camera flash as a master trigger with ad200 switched to slave mode but it has it's limitation as the ad200 sensor has to detect the light from the camera. The ad200 has a built in flash trigger reciever so you just buy the xpro commander. This also lets the xpro commander to set settings from it instead of going to the flash which save you time.

Shooting with just one light.

Umbrella vs softbox

Thanks man!

I have an Xpro, so my AD200 is off camera .

Im wondering what is the specific adaptor i have to buy to fit to big boxes etc? or if there are any bigger boxes that no need adaptor to fit the AD 200?

Thanks man!

I have an Xpro, so my AD200 is off camera .

Im wondering what is the specific adaptor i have to buy to fit to big boxes etc? or if there are any bigger boxes that no need adaptor to fit the AD 200?

Ad200 is rectangular shape like a speedlite so definitely need an adapter ring to mate onto a softbox. Check user manual for details. Most studio flash have the bowen's mount so most softbox standardise to that mount but godox accessories may have their own proprietary designs if you use godox branded softboxes or I may be wrong.

Godox S2 bowen's mount adapter for Ad200 and others.

Last edited:
Ad200 is rectangular shape like a speedlite so definitely need an adapter ring to mate onto a softbox. Check user manual for details. Most studio flash have the bowen's mount so most softbox standardise to that mount but godox accessories may have their own proprietary designs if you use godox branded softboxes or I may be wrong.

Godox S2 bowen's mount adapter for Ad200 and others.

thanks bro!

get why settle with those bulky and heavy bowen converters. Just get a magmod. I don't use AD200 I use 360, 600 etc but I can see the magmod looks great as good as a softbox minus the power drain, it's light, it's small, it's a good diffuser if I've an AD200 I will get the magmod (but ad200 is too weak for me)