Light me up

Status
Not open for further replies.

leejay

Deregistered
Sep 18, 2006
Not a bad shot. I like it. Since I am not a studio shooter, I won't comment further. :)

RazrStudio

Oct 5, 2006
wow ! nice hair color

Loupisk

Nov 8, 2005
AMK life
www.modelmayhem.com
This is your shower model! I love her since that pic ! Great model! :thumbsup:

Now this pic?

Not sure if it is the best angle and the best frame. Feel either too tight or too wide.

Skin tone is not flattering, but it is my taste I guess.

I would have dodged a bit the shadow on her cheeck and chin.

Just 2 cents. Not even maybe.:bsmilie:

Splutter

Dec 28, 2003
Gim Boon Tai
www.splutterphotography.com
There are 2 things that I find to be rather "booboo"
1. Bottom up angle makes her lose her chin, which I find to be not too flattering.
2. Crumpled pillowcase!

nemesis32

Oct 16, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
WB is off i believe.. white is not white... pose wise, i dont really like it as well..

narloke

Mar 24, 2006
Yishun
narloke.deviantart.com
Thanks all for the comments

This is your shower model! I love her since that pic ! Great model!

Now this pic?

Not sure if it is the best angle and the best frame. Feel either too tight or too wide.

Skin tone is not flattering, but it is my taste I guess.

I would have dodged a bit the shadow on her cheeck and chin.

Just 2 cents. Not even maybe.
She's very happy to hear that. The original composition is down to the waist, but that will somehow become a nude shot, and i am not authorized by the model to post it. ;p

There are 2 things that I find to be rather "booboo"
1. Bottom up angle makes her lose her chin, which I find to be not too flattering.
2. Crumpled pillowcase!
1)Consider, if i changed an angle, will you still have the kinda "light me up" feeling? agree that it's not too flattering, but seems i don't have a choice to keep the mood.
2)Em, i really can't think of a way to make it not crumpled. Pls advise.

WB is off i believe.. white is not white... pose wise, i dont really like it as well..
While, i don't think WB means anything to me, coz i m not using my camera as a recording instrument to take down the most accurate scientific data.

Gunbucker

Sep 14, 2005
East Coast
sanzaw.smugmug.com
Hi Narloke, love your work as always!

Just two nitpicks:

1) Facial smoothening. I think facial texture is a desirable thing for showing character, telling a story, etc. But the shot is more inline with glamour, so I doing some DI work would flatter the model

2) I find her right hand posture a little detracting from the overall image. Without that, it would be quite a striking image.

Pls keep up the great work, and share with us more! :)

narloke

Mar 24, 2006
Yishun
narloke.deviantart.com
Hi Narloke, love your work as always!

Just two nitpicks:

1) Facial smoothening. I think facial texture is a desirable thing for showing character, telling a story, etc. But the shot is more inline with glamour, so I doing some DI work would flatter the model

2) I find her right hand posture a little detracting from the overall image. Without that, it would be quite a striking image.

Pls keep up the great work, and share with us more! :)

Thanks for the support. I am still trying to think of way to have the skin smoothened and keep the feeling of fine details at the same time. For the posture, since only part of the original is displayed and i've really tried hard to find a compromise on the cropping.

mattlock

Feb 28, 2004
www.superhyperreal.com
Thanks for the support. I am still trying to think of way to have the skin smoothened and keep the feeling of fine details at the same time. For the posture, since only part of the original is displayed and i've really tried hard to find a compromise on the cropping.
beautiful
you should consider getting a good makeup artist then you won't need to bother with photoshop for the skin
and it would be much nicer if the sheets were just not so crumpled...

Skye Tan

Sep 14, 2005
singapore
www.skyetan.com
hmm.. good points:

1)Interesting angle
2) nice color.

Not so good point:
1) picture really lacks soul. Static-looking model.
2) bad aesthetic sense.

recommendation:
1) look at better beauty magazines such as vogue, bazaar, W and V.
2) take time to feel your shot.. the shot doesn't show complexity though i think u try to acheive that. It comes across as "trying" instead.
3) take more time to understand woman and appreciate them. Be more sensitive how u should portray woman as we male photographers always have the tendency to ignore that. As a result, the pictures seldom appeal to womens.

CrashOverRide

Nov 11, 2006
Nice photo. Is the shot done in Singapore?
What's the model's name? Perhaps we can request or organise a photoshoot with her.
Like the photo.

jeanie

May 19, 2005
hmm.. good points:

1)Interesting angle
2) nice color.

Not so good point:
2) bad aesthetic sense.

recommendation:
2) take time to feel your shot.. the shot doesn't show complexity though i think u try to acheive that. It comes across as "trying" instead.
3) take more time to understand woman and appreciate them. Be more sensitive how u should portray woman as we male photographers always have the tendency to ignore that. As a result, the pictures seldom appeal to womens.
:kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

narloke

Mar 24, 2006
Yishun
narloke.deviantart.com
beautiful
you should consider getting a good makeup artist then you won't need to bother with photoshop for the skin
and it would be much nicer if the sheets were just not so crumpled...
Thanks bro, we are justing practising. Pay for a good makeup artist is definitely not an option for me, at least at this moment. What i tried is to find the color tone and how to recover the details, so next step i am going to do is how to remove those blotchy dots.;p

narloke

Mar 24, 2006
Yishun
narloke.deviantart.com
hmm.. good points:

1)Interesting angle
2) nice color.

Not so good point:
2) bad aesthetic sense.

recommendation:

Whether a picture lacks of soul usually depends on whether the beholder's "frequency" can be harmonized or not, same answer to the aesthetic sense. I totally agree with you on the recommendation if i want to do commercial fashion shots or glamour shots. But those who have followed my works since my first post know that i m absolutely not in that style. What i've done may be wierd to you, but to me they are just experiemental, for the sake of accumulating my experience. :)

narloke

Mar 24, 2006
Yishun
narloke.deviantart.com
Nice photo. Is the shot done in Singapore?
What's the model's name? Perhaps we can request or organise a photoshoot with her.
Like the photo.
In Marriot Hotel singapore, the model is my gf Cui. Em, organization of shot with her depends on her decision.;p

Skye Tan

Sep 14, 2005
singapore
www.skyetan.com
Whether a picture lacks of soul usually depends on whether the beholder's "frequency" can be harmonized or not, same answer to the aesthetic sense. I totally agree with you on the recommendation if i want to do commercial fashion shots or glamour shots. But those who have followed my works since my first post know that i m absolutely not in that style. What i've done may be wierd to you, but to me they are just experiemental, for the sake of accumulating my experience. :)
i think u get me wrong..i am not just refering to commercial or fashion images but it is a matter of sensability. I believe that there is something called the "common" aesthetics which can communicate with artists all over the world.. just like music. If it is truely good music, despite what genre it is, will be appreciated by people all around the world. Put it in another way, it's called international appeal.

Your work is not weird to me.. I have gone through the stage of living as a fine art artist before and still consider myself still an artist till today, and i truely understand the importance of being experimental. However, one can't neglect the fact that experimental though it may be, common aethetics still applys in every aspects of art forms. Like a good wine, movie, a piece of music, or photography.

Side-tracking.. I think the statement of creating art not to appeal to anybody is a self defeatist statement.
If art is created not to appeal to people, then who is art created for in the first place? Why do we even bother showing it? Art is a form of expression, communication and it is created to appeal to, and communicate with people. If that function is lost, so is the intergrity of art.

narloke

Mar 24, 2006
Yishun
narloke.deviantart.com
i think u get me wrong..i am not just refering to commercial or fashion images but it is a matter of sensability. I believe that there is something called the "common" aesthetics which can communicate with artists all over the world.. just like music. If it is truely good music, despite what genre it is, will be appreciated by people all around the world. Put it in another way, it's called international appeal.

Your work is not weird to me.. I have gone through the stage of living as a fine art artist before and still consider myself still an artist till today, and i truely understand the importance of being experimental. However, one can't neglect the fact that experimental though it may be, common aethetics still applys in every aspects of art forms. Like a good wine, movie, a piece of music, or photography.

Side-tracking.. I think the statement of creating art not to appeal to anybody is a self defeatist statement.
If art is created not to appeal to people, then who is art created for in the first place? Why do we even bother showing it? Art is a form of expression, communication and it is created to appeal to, and communicate with people. If that function is lost, so is the intergrity of art.

Well, obviously, this pic appeals to someone, you can tell from some of the replies to the post. But whether it will appeal to everyone, i doubt so, and i can tell you that no such thing exists in this world.:lovegrin:

Skye Tan

Sep 14, 2005
singapore
www.skyetan.com
. But those who have followed my works since my first post know that i m absolutely not in that style. What i've done may be wierd to you, but to me they are just experiemental, for the sake of accumulating my experience. :)
Just incase u are refering to going for alternative approach. Try to keep your "alternative" style clear and not in between.. Like u can't really make a alternative/regular pop song. If it is statement that u are putting across, make it clear to your audience.

Skye Tan

Sep 14, 2005
singapore
www.skyetan.com
Well, obviously, this pic appeals to someone, you can tell from some of the replies to the post. But whether it will appeal to everyone, i doubt so, and i can tell you that no such thing exists in this world.:lovegrin:
I not trying to be insulting but trying to help here.. I hope u take my advice as seriously and maturely, as i have no intention to trying to put u down but to help u think thorough and work on getting better results. It is easier to give praises and feel accepted than to make nasty remarks and making everyone think I am a freak.

Your work may appeal to the crowd in CS. Good for u. But i am talking about further if you are keen. Try putting your work in any magazines, and exhibitions.. and see if everyone gives you the answer u want to hear.. or are u chooseing what u want to listen to.

Status
Not open for further replies.