Light leak using 10 stops filter

mardellion

Feb 5, 2014
Singapore
Hi guys,

I bought a Haida ND3.0 (10 stops) 100X100mm filter for my Cokin Z Pro holder. I have known of this light leak and lens reflection issue but always overcome it by covering the sides of the filter with a cloth (with a GND in front of the Haida). Although it works, I'm wondering if there's a permanent fix for it (like a DIY project or smth) so I need not worry about my cloth being blown away by the wind (it happened).

By any chance, is the light leak related to the infamous 5D III light leak issue?

Hi guys,

I bought a Haida ND3.0 (10 stops) 100X100mm filter for my Cokin Z Pro holder. I have known of this light leak and lens reflection issue but always overcome it by covering the sides of the filter with a cloth (with a GND in front of the Haida). Although it works, I'm wondering if there's a permanent fix for it (like a DIY project or smth) so I need not worry about my cloth being blown away by the wind (it happened).

By any chance, is the light leak related to the infamous 5D III light leak issue?

Gaffer tape is your best friend.

Thanks for the reply daredevil. However, I'm using a 100X150mm GND in front of the haida, which makes gaffer a little impractical... Hmm..

Thanks for the reply daredevil. However, I'm using a 100X150mm GND in front of the haida, which makes gaffer a little impractical... Hmm..

Why not? All you need to make sure is to make sure there is no light leave between the 10 stopper and the holder.

Strip of black cloth with velcro stitched on the ends.

Either DIY or ask the clothes alteration auntie to do it for you.

Gaffer tape can be a messy affair with the adhesive residue on the filter if they come into contact. (tried that before)
But your holder construction might be different and it might work for you.

Light leak from the viewfinder is highly possible too.

Last edited:
Are you using a DSLR? If you are, light might enter from the view finder if you did not have it covered.

Yup, but I already have the VF covered :)

Strip of black cloth with velcro stitched on the ends.

Either DIY or ask the clothes alteration auntie to do it for you.

Gaffer tape can be a messy affair with the adhesive residue on the filter if they come into contact. (tried that before)
But your holder construction might be different and it might work for you.

Light leak from the viewfinder is highly possible too.

Velcro on the sides of the holder right? I actually like that idea! Thank you!

Did yours come with the stick-on gasket?

Yup, and I've sticked it on. Not much of help to me. Dunno if it's becos of my holder.

Use a hairband... something like this one http://c15011929.r29.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-hugerect-24290-4228-1336494068-89cdc409efca45f6a11706d8b525d2fc.jpg but in black. It's cheap, it's elastic, and can be folded/cut into an appropriate length :)

Sounds great. Top that up with velcro on both sides should just do the trick! Thanks!!

Yup, and I've sticked it on. Not much of help to me. Dunno if it's becos of my holder.!

Yes it is the holder. Because the Cokin Z pro holder has rounded edges, with those edges, the foam will will cover properly.

If you don't intend to stack with GND, just switch to round filters. And you don't have to keep playing with all the funny casts that come out when you stack GND and ND, even with all Lee set-up you can get cool things sometimes. That said, there are definitely still advantages to the square filter system. :) Just a suggestion, as I got tired of playing around with that sort of thing and can live with the drawbacks of just blending and using round ND.

If you don't intend to stack with GND, just switch to round filters. And you don't have to keep playing with all the funny casts that come out when you stack GND and ND, even with all Lee set-up you can get cool things sometimes. That said, there are definitely still advantages to the square filter system. :) Just a suggestion, as I got tired of playing around with that sort of thing and can live with the drawbacks of just blending and using round ND.

yeah man, talk about all the funny colour cast. had enough of it and been sticking to ND filters + blending only.

i must say that after the change, results have been pretty consistent and good.

yeah man, talk about all the funny colour cast. had enough of it and been sticking to ND filters + blending only.

i must say that after the change, results have been pretty consistent and good.

Well I remember Kah Kit Yoong discussed this earlier on his FB and I agree with him - that there are situations where you want to do long exposure, and the light only lasts a while. You might end up with different exposures which do not correspond to the ambient lighting. :) It's very true, and I guess it is a risk that all of us that just want to do blending have to take. My own take is that such situations are few and far between, and it beats paying the money for the better range of filters, carrying them around, etc. But that's just my view. Some people don't mind and thus they will be more prepared for all situations. That's life. :)

Well I remember Kah Kit Yoong discussed this earlier on his FB and I agree with him - that there are situations where you want to do long exposure, and the light only lasts a while. You might end up with different exposures which do not correspond to the ambient lighting. :) It's very true, and I guess it is a risk that all of us that just want to do blending have to take. My own take is that such situations are few and far between, and it beats paying the money for the better range of filters, carrying them around, etc. But that's just my view. Some people don't mind and thus they will be more prepared for all situations. That's life. :)

there is always an opportunity cost to everything we do, i guess it is all about weighing your priority, what holds true to you.

it is when you(I for this case) painstakingly stitch and blend the photos and it had to be bogged down by weird colour cast, then one will step out of the comfort zone and search for more viable solutions. yes, i do blend with GND too as i do not want to over stress the raw files and keep the file integrity in check. i had more than a handful of instances when i spent a damn load of time fixing colour cast and it is a rather daunting task for me as i have colour deficiency. each time i pull the sliders, i had to take note of which part of the photo changes and which does not. and i get really frustrated when the colour cast cannot be fixed.

sorry TS, i digressed. :eek:

Yes it is the holder. Because the Cokin Z pro holder has rounded edges, with those edges, the foam will will cover properly.

:( I should have saved up for the Lee system...

I initially started with just round filters. Then realized I really need (want) to stack to balance the exposures between sky and ground. Hence I took the leap to a round filter, but now this problem arises. Hmmm... I've tried blending with the RAW file too using rounded filters, but sometimes I'll end up pushing too much to get what I want.

there is always an opportunity cost to everything we do, i guess it is all about weighing your priority, what holds true to you.

it is when you(I for this case) painstakingly stitch and blend the photos and it had to be bogged down by weird colour cast, then one will step out of the comfort zone and search for more viable solutions. yes, i do blend with GND too as i do not want to over stress the raw files and keep the file integrity in check. i had more than a handful of instances when i spent a damn load of time fixing colour cast and it is a rather daunting task for me as i have colour deficiency. each time i pull the sliders, i had to take note of which part of the photo changes and which does not. and i get really frustrated when the colour cast cannot be fixed.

sorry TS, i digressed. :eek:

Haha no worries!

I totally feel you with the 'not over-stressing the raw file'.