Light Box, sufficient lighting?

TroyP

Dec 23, 2008
Has anyone had experience with using light box for product photography?
I'm worried that if I purchase one, it might not be all that good. I want a strong white backdrop (or green) so it's easy to edit.
$Screenshot_61.jpg

This type apparently has 2 x 60cm LED lights, and i'm a bit skeptical about it producing as much light as shown in the pic.
Any recommendations?
I'm also considering $280 set of 3 continuous lights + soft boxes, but not in an enclosed box like above.
I need to take product images, eg pet food cans and bags.

... i'm a bit skeptical about it producing as much light as shown in the pic.

There's no real way to tell how much light it's producing from the pix. If it's a little on the dim side, and you're photographing still subjects, put your camera on a tripod in increase exposure time.

Or get the continuous lights, and a light tent. They're available in the same form factor, foldable cube with one face open. I have one 80 x 80 x 80cm. Should be smaller and bigger models available. Light from the top and sides (actually sometimes just the top will do. Same story as above - increase exposure time if too dim, or ISO if you don't mind a little drop in quality.

Some lightbox are made with the assumption that the user will be using a tripod. The primary purpose of the lightbox is to give an overall even lighting and control of the colour balance. If you intend to hand hold your shots, supplement the lightbox with continuos lighting. If you are using external continuous lights, make sure the light box has translucent sides or use a light tent as suggested as the sides of the one in your image looks like it will not let light through.

This type apparently has 2 x 60cm LED lights, and i'm a bit skeptical about it producing as much light as shown in the pic.
Any recommendations?
I'm also considering $280 set of 3 continuous lights + soft boxes, but not in an enclosed box like above.
I need to take product images, eg pet food cans and bags.

I think you're right to be skeptical. I've purchased one of those mini versions for a friend. Those strip lights don't flood the box as in the mockup image unless you drag the shutter for a long exposure...but by then the front of your product might be overexposed, as you don't have control.

This sample image I found off google images is representative of the real life effect, at least with the mini box. Note the shadows cast by the product, and that light fallout at the back of the box (appears greyish), compared to the front of the box (white).

Folding-Mini-LED-Lightbox-Light-Tent-Portable-Photography-Studio-Softbox-Light-box-for-iPhone-Samsang-Smartphone.jpg

Last edited:
If possible try using flash instead of continuous lighting for product photography. The output is much cleaner and images tend to be much more 'together'.

Just get a flash, a proper softbox and you can use mahjong papers for the base and background.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it is just one kind of product and lighting, just get a light Tent and continuous lights, arrange the lights until you get the result that you want. Use a tripod for exposure. Select the correct white balance to suit the lights used

If possible try using flash instead of continuous lighting for product photography. The output is much cleaner and images tend to be much more 'together'.

Just get a flash, a proper softbox and you can use mahjong papers for the base and background.

Second your comments and would like to share an example of using a softbox for product or food shots. Used the setup
during my film days:

Original
5308469781_f45cbc9715_z_d.jpg

After work done by graphic designer
5308465309_26ab919e0c_z_d.jpg

Food shots
3133524406_ede7171709_z_d.jpg

Thanks for that. Adding on to my previous comment, if using ambient light (essentially the lightbox is an ambient light source, technically speaking) you draw the risks of added colour casts from different light sources in the environment. Sure you can workaround that by switching off the lights etc etc, but the control you get from a flash gun or strobe unit is unrivalled. Output from flash is generally very clean as compared to ambient light sources like florescent lights, LED, etc.

This was from a commercial shoot I did for a golf equipment brand. Shot with flash no less.

f42ea2ada7346fee5f7970e1b1936655.jpg