Lifetime of camera and lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

kezane

Dec 12, 2007
Hi, was wondering is there any lifetime in camera and lenses on how many shots? :think::dunno:

No if properly used and kept. Or perhaps minor repair needed to keep them going. Like changing of light meter, fixing and cleaning shutter, aperture blades etc.

For DSLRs, they are said to have a shutter life of 50k clicks. After which u can change the shutter again.

Last edited:
hmm 50k clicks.. but how do we know if the shutter is failing?

hmm 50k clicks.. but how do we know if the shutter is failing?

In canon, you'd get an error99 message. There's no way to see if it's starting to fail. It can be perfect for one moment, and failed the next. A failed shutter means you can't shoot at all.

Hi, was wondering is there any lifetime in camera and lenses on how many shots? :think::dunno:

As for lenses... Well, some of mine were made in 1986 and still work perfectly.

As for lenses... Well, some of mine were made in 1986 and still work perfectly.

woah.. thats 22 years..

i wonder anybody encounter this before.. :bsmilie:

anyway thanks alot for answering my question :D

Different cameras are expected to last different numbers of years.D3 lasts 300k cycles(i think) while my d200 is rated to last 100k cycles.

Forgot to add:This figure is not a magic number.The more times you use the burst shooting mode,the shorter your shutter lasts.ie. my d200 shutter can last 100k+/- shots

woah.. thats 22 years..

Most of the Sony/KM users have encountered this. ;)

Do we need to do regulate servicing or maintainence for the lens?
How long before do we need to send in our lens of servicing or cleaning etc?
Is there like a standard time/period or use till something starts to fail? :embrass:

Last edited:
Do we need to do regulate servicing or maintainence for the lens?
How long before do we need to send in our lens of servicing or cleaning etc?
Is there like a standard time/period or use till something starts to fail? :embrass:

It's not a car...you don't send it for regular servicing. You send it for servicing when something is spoilt.

woah.. thats 22 years..

alot of MF lenses from various brands can last a few decades...if u go to the camera shops at Penisula, it's not uncommon to see MF lenses dating 30-40 yrs...:D

I dun have any personal experience with the AF lenses failing. However, someone had told me that AF lenses' SWM or USM will fail after 5-7 yrs...:dunno:

I dun have any personal experience with the AF lenses failing. However, someone had told me that AF lenses' SWM or USM will fail after 5-7 yrs...:dunno:

yipe! :eek:

haha, guess its kinda expected. I recall my physics tutor telling me a few years back: "The more moving parts a machine has, the faster it'll malfunction/less hardy is it" Applies to a lot of things, really :think:

my granddad's Canon FTb still working in my hands only draw back is the spring inside is old already cant shoot accurately at 1s, never serviced once :) oh its 37 years old btw

It's not a car...you don't send it for regular servicing. You send it for servicing when something is spoilt.

Ok...................

In addition to mechanical components, digital cameras also have more electronic parts in them, and electronics can fail suddenly without warning, like CCD malfunction or burnout. I've got film cameras (both manual and autofocus models) that are more than a decade++ old but still function perfectly, however I will not hold onto any DSLR for more than 2 years.

Good lenses, if cared for properly, can last several years, but probably not as long as the old manual focus lenses because AF lenses have more gears and moving parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.