Lifespan of Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

kzone

Oct 18, 2004
Hi guys, any idea how long is the lifespan of a flash? Or rather, how many flashes can a flash last? :D

Will the flash loose power over time? If so, is a bulb replacement available & what is the expected cost?

Reason for asking is that i'm considering the SB600/800 & wonder if its worth it to get a used set.

i got my second hand and the flash have been firing since 2004

from my experience, the lifespan will max out at around 10 years (really the max)

Hi guys, any idea how long is the lifespan of a flash? Or rather, how many flashes can a flash last? :D

Will the flash loose power over time? If so, is a bulb replacement available & what is the expected cost?

Reason for asking is that i'm considering the SB600/800 & wonder if its worth it to get a used set.
You need flash meter to check the power/GN of the flash. This power/GN of the flash usually related to capacitor and flash tube age.

Good maintain like loading battery on unused flash and flash it several times every month or two can prolong and maintain the capacitor. For the flash tube, it will degrade by the usage. Extended and full power usage on flash will make the flash tube hot and it will decrease its age faster.

Regards,
Arto.

I've got my external flash since the early 1990s, it's still able to flash, although I've not checked if the power has diminished. I used it on my Canon film SLR in the early days. Now I don't own Canon, but still use it on my Fuji prosumer, although not as frequently. No problem, except got to test shots as there's no TTL metering in the Fuji with the flash.

I've got my external flash since the early 1990s, it's still able to flash, although I've not checked if the power has diminished. I used it on my Canon film SLR in the early days. Now I don't own Canon, but still use it on my Fuji prosumer, although not as frequently. No problem, except got to test shots as there's no TTL metering in the Fuji with the flash.
With the TTL or A/AA flash mode, you won't notice much difference of old flash and new flash in short distance. The flash itself will compensate its power. Only the range of old flash is reduced.

Some say its color temperature also affected by old flash.

Regards,
Arto.

Too many variable to say how long a flash would last. You could burn out the flash tube easily if you tried to shoot really hard - call abt 200 shots at near full power in 20 to 30 minutes. The double flashing that ITTL needs does not help with flash tube life.To replace flash tube for SB800 - Abt $200 so unless the 2nd hand unit is like 100 which if this was the offered price it pays to wonder why; it would be very unworth it to buy and replace the flash tube. Given a new unit is around 500/600.

Status
Not open for further replies.