lifespan of CCD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweek

Jan 17, 2002
East
www.weekai.com
what is the typical lifespan of a CCD chip?

was thinking about that when I was informally planning my equipment progression....;)

Does anyone know?

Originally posted by Tweek

was thinking about that when I was informally planning my equipment progression....;)

Does anyone know?

Long enough not to cause any worry. There are still the very old Kodak DCS series pro D-SLRs which are still going strong....

Regards
CK

Does anyone know?

What camera do you have and you worry that much ?

Hahaha the Olympus cameras at 10K they get out of warranty :bsmilie:

The point is that we need more than a life time to get the 40K ..
By the other hand if you are a Pro photographer , that takes every day 50-100 shots , you are making so much cash that the camera is not an issue at all ..

The averige persons like me , they will not go to take more than 300 pictures in a year time .

syncmaster, no lar I'm not worrying, just wondering. ;)

For me I've chalked up about 5k pictures after having my camera for about 5-6 months, so that's easily 10k pics a year. Assuming the 40k pic that KC stated as the lifespan, then say my cam will last 4 years. Haha ok that's much longer than it's "shelf-life" anyway....

syncmaster...we don't need more than a lifetime to chalk up 40k of pics. U strike only 300 a year? Get out there and take more pics! Hehheh. ;)

I guess that i am not the type that will run all day with a camera in my hands .

One artist photographer said : photography is to used to capture memmories ...

Well there is no way for me to like to capture 10.000 memmories in a year time :bsmilie:

Or 10.000x 550Kb = 5.5 Tera Bytes :dunno: :gbounce:

I everyday take at least 30 pic .. tat 900/mth. Sometimes I nothin to do, I just snap things in my house.. ;p

Originally posted by Klause
I everyday take at least 30 pic .. tat 900/mth. Sometimes I nothin to do, I just snap things in my house.. ;p

Practice makes perfect!!!

Jayan, no lar I'm not worrying, just wondering. ;) And you ask me what camera I use ah, I'm a member of your Olympus Resource thread! :D

For me I've chalked up about 5k pictures after having my camera for about 5-6 months, so that's easily 10k pics a year. Assuming the 40k pic that KC stated as the lifespan, then say my cam will last 4 years. Haha ok that's much longer than it's "shelf-life" anyway....

Jayan...we don't need more than a lifetime to chalk up 40k of pics. U strike only 300 a year? Get out there and take more pics! Hehheh. ;)
Errmmm.. this may come as a shock to you but...

syncmaster <> Jayan

Dun be fooled by that avatar.. :D

Originally posted by Edmund
Errmmm.. this may come as a shock to you but...

syncmaster <> Jayan

Dun be fooled by that avatar.. :D

ermmm....are you sure? what makes u say that?

Originally posted by Edmund
Well... see for yourself. ;)

oops! Ok just realised...I mistook syncmaster for Jayan. That darn avatar! Hahahahahhahaha...

corrected my previous post. :)

Edmund, I thought you meant Jayan and syncmaster are the same person! I didn't realise that I actually took the replier in this thread to be Jayan accidentally...

so malu. :embrass:

i think most of us here at ClubSnap prob exceed 10K pics liao...

but any advice on how to protect or increase lifespan of CCD?
i heard shouldn't face direct sun isit?

Originally posted by eadwine
but any advice on how to protect or increase lifespan of CCD?
i heard shouldn't face direct sun isit?

No one does that :D
But electronics is not that sensitive .
The CCDs do not die that easy , there is more possibilities ,your camera to fall in the sea ,than get your CCD dead or damaged .
See the positive side .

I think the only way that the CCD will shorted the life span or burn out is shooting at direct, bright, strong, sunlight or other very bright light sources.
But I think if you point any camera at the sun for too long something will be burn, even for a 35mm slr (esp those with Mirror locked up). Still remember the Magnifing glass experiment in pri school. Well I think the lens will also behave like one. Concentrate the light and heat on a flim or the curtain (shutter).
The first part on CCD is an info i read from somewhere (can't remember liao) the second part regarding the sun is only what I guess, don't know if it will happen or not.

There is a way to save your camera , MOVE TO ALASKA :D :D :D

hahahaha Sorry my friend i do enjoying with your fears .
Do not worry that much , your camera will be at your hands for many years ,as long you respect it and take good care of it .
The CCDs is not made from ice .
You sood worry more for your lences , than the CCD .

Status
Not open for further replies.