Life in a Hospice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice photo documentary. Coincidentally, I went to Assisi Home and Hospice several years ago when I was helping to set up similar hospice NGO in Malaysia. It was an emotional experience. The sad thing is that now it seems to have more children there :cry:

btw, the pic of the old person .. did u get his/her permission?

All individuals featured prominently gave consent to have their images used. Those that didn't are not portrayed in a recognisable manner.

Coincidentally, I went to Assisi Home and Hospice several years ago when I was helping to set up similar hospice NGO in Malaysia. It was an emotional experience. The sad thing is that now it seems to have more children there

The good news is that the survival rate of children with cancer is very good. What was surprising to me was when I discovered that the majority (approx 50%) of children afflicted with cancer are under 5 years old. Seems kinda wrong to be living with an illness like that in childhood.

last time I saw your Cambodia/Tuol Sleng.... made me feel very sad for few days :sweat: and I ended up with googling all day for the additional info...

Glad you got an interesting read out of the Tuol Sleng entry. It still gives me a shiver whenever I look at pictures from that visit.

Terence, as usual..great great stuff.
Thanks for sharing and touching us thru your photos in one way or another. :)
Respect.

Very moving photos and which really helped to accentuate the words even further. I had a very good read. I am glad you didnt over do it and took the subtle approach. Thanks for sharing these keeper shots and hope to see more of them. Cheers!

Very moving photos and which really helped to accentuate the illustrate the words even further. I had a very good read. I am glad you didnt over do it and took the subtle approach.

Sometimes it's hard finding the right balance between editorial content and images. I do think that descriptive text goes a long way in bringing out another dimension in photojournalism. Personally, I didn't think I did enough for this particular article but for the sake of preserving a certain level of anonymity to the patients, I thought I had better be restrained.

The pictures of the handicapped girl and the old lady in bed at home are powerful images... i felt distressed/sad when looking at them. :cry:

The pictures of the handicapped girl and the old lady in bed at home are powerful images... i felt distressed/sad when looking at them. :cry:

I went through the same emotions myself when I was reviewing the images after the shoot. Somehow when I was behind the camera, I was quite detached from the scenes I was capturing.

Dude!
Great photo essay! As usual, the write ups are great compliments to the photos.
I still remember your "Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum" series vividly.

Easily beat those that our newspaper churn out.
You don't happen to be a photographer for the papers, are you?

Not quite a newspaper photog I am. It would suck if I had to take on photography assignments that aren't of my own choosing.

Well taken and informative as usual, thank you for sharing. By the way, was it easy to arrange a visit to the home for the photo session?

Thanks. The shoot was arranged as the home needed images for a publicity campaign.

Terence,
I salute you. Made me remember the harsh realities of life. Thanks for sharing.
Wonderful job.

I am involved a little bit, a very little bit with the Children's Cancer Foundation and every time I see a child suffering with cancer, I cry.

=================================================
I complained that I had no shoes, until I saw a man with no legs.
=================================================

Well every little bit of volunteer effort counts, good on you!

Status
Not open for further replies.