Licencing to do photography business

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
Is it necessary to have a licence to start a freelance photography 'business'?

for eg, have a .com website and accept jobs like weddings, product, advertising and editorial... is it necessary to have a licence?

always change name 1 lah... got ROC (think sound like Republic of China so they change) now is BRN...

anyway, if you decide to give invoice & such, then you should register i think, otherwise, if freelance, then earn abit only, think no point rite... not sure on this...

There is no such license for photography. For business, yes.

Sion said:
Have been moonlighting in a small photo business for the past five years. But never have a license.

Only thing I do is to remember to report the side income in tax time.

So how when you issue invoive to your clients? Do you need some kind of licence or registration to make invoives?

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
invoice, yes, u need BRN... on other hand, receipt no need... the irony of words...

so how do u define Invoice and Receipt?

hmm... i vaguely remember...

invoice is something like a business record, so when a person buy something from this shop, they issue an invoice.

receipt is can be issued for payment received... something like an acknowledgment... u get the idea?

Right.

But perhaps just to be safe, i must register my business? Since it doesn't cost a lot too.. But every year must i pay any fee?

Businesses also requires secretariat I believe and also a capital to be put into bank and every year there must be AGM also. :)

I normally just issue invoices & receipts via printouts. I don't think need to register lor.

behyx said:
So how when you issue invoive to your clients? Do you need some kind of licence or registration to make invoives?

Bearing in mind that I live in Australia, only one major overseas payer needs invoices from me. I just buy an invoice book from stationery shop. My invoices work fine for the past 5 years.

Also consider about the tax factor too. The side income from photography would push you into a higher tax bracket when the business starts kicking in.

One thing good about earning an income from photography is that you could offset any spending on it against income in tax e.g lenses, camera, computer etc. So far the taxman hasn't questioned my claims for reduction. :)

wah! getting more and more troublesome! But is it necessary?? Some people work from home, and they are 1-man-show..

espn said:
Businesses also requires secretariat I believe and also a capital to be put into bank and every year there must be AGM also. :)

I normally just issue invoices & receipts via printouts. I don't think need to register lor.

tats private limited lah... i think he just go for sole proprietorship will do...

behyx said:
Right.

But perhaps just to be safe, i must register my business? Since it doesn't cost a lot too.. But every year must i pay any fee?

go for sole proprietorship... just pay about 200? i forget how much i paid for the initial paperwork... then every year about 20-50 if i remember correctly... anyway i pass to my accounts to do...

but note that if you have your own business, they will require that you have a certain amt of medisave in your CPF before you can renew every year. much more hassle...

behyx said:
wah! getting more and more troublesome! But is it necessary?? Some people work from home, and they are 1-man-show..

And those undergrads out there doing weddings on weekends?Seems like if they need to register as a business, then it would be truly laughable..

behyx said:

you have to decide the scale and scope of photography business you intend to do, then decide on the desirability of registering a business. to avoid hassles, a sole proprietorship will do. less paperwork, less fees to pay, less associated costs of running it.

Status
Not open for further replies.