Lexus/Riva Sb-3000AFp mini review

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbc

Jun 27, 2005
West of Singapore
http://swisscophoto.com.sg/flash.htm

Just got my SB-3000. It is sold under 2 brands, either Lexus or Riva. For Pentax mount, there is only Riva.
Just had a quick test with a K10D & 18-55 lens

Good news:
Works with K10D
Works with Eneloop batteries
Auto zoom with retractable diffuser and reflector
Backlight screen
F/stop and ISO selected on camera will be displayed on the flash's screen
Audio signal when flash is ready
Front curtain, rear curtain sync and slave mode
P-TTL mode, manual with 5 stops setting till 1/16
$94.16 inc GST - value for money

Not so good news:
F/stop range is 1.4 to 11 only. Out of this range, you will get over/under exposure, EVEN with P-TTL
ISO range is 25 to 800 only. Out of this range, you will get over/under exposure, EVEN with P-TTL
Recycle time 7 to 8 sec with Eneloop. A bit slow considering the GN is 24 at 35mm

So there you have it. It is quite a steal. Anyone without a flash or looking for a backup flash should seriously consider one.

BTW, I am not paid for this!

lol was waiting for someone to post before I decide if I need a 4th flash^^; From what u mentioned about setting ISO and f value, I assume there's an A mode on the flash right? AF-360FGZ recycle time is abt 4-5secs. at abt 1/3 the price, think one can live with 3 more secs recycle time;)

Does your flash have a high pitch noise when switch on??

SBC
Thanks for the information.

Which model of Riva is equivalent to SB3000AFP? Is it the model SB-880AF?

Riva and Lexus model code is the same. So it's Riva SB-3000AFP. This is the one that the claim sold out yesterday, dunno why today have again, maybe they go dig store:bsmilie: SB-880AFP is the one I tested yesterday without the swirl and manual mode.

Does your flash have a high pitch noise when switch on??

I'd yet to test this flash, but high pitch sound in flash is normally the charging. If that sound last for 20secs or more best off it, take out all batts for 3-5mins. Then try again. Excess charging will result to flash blowing up. It happened before back in 2006 with other rebrand model.

oh, so once it is fully charged, there should not have this noise....

oh, so once it is fully charged, there should not have this noise....

Ya normally when a flash fully charged should not have the zzzzeeee sound. That sound will only be heard after a flash is triggered...

Recycle time 7 to 8 sec with Eneloop. A bit slow considering the GN is 24 at 35mm

The GN should be 38 at 85mm based on Tumax DPT386AFZ manual and 42 at 50mm based on Soligor DG-420 Z.

I guess we will never know the truth,,,:bsmilie:
But during testing with bouncing off the ceiling, I can feel that the power is just not there. So I am pretty sure the GN is not that high.
So no way '42 at 50mm based on Soligor DG-420 Z.'
Maybe still have chance '38 at 85mm based on Tumax DPT386AFZ'

I guess we will never know the truth,,,:bsmilie:
But during testing with bouncing off the ceiling, I can feel that the power is just not there. So I am pretty sure the GN is not that high.
So no way '42 at 50mm based on Soligor DG-420 Z.'
Maybe still have chance '38 at 85mm based on Tumax DPT386AFZ'

We'll know better tomorrow when I try with AF-360FGZ (GN 36 at 85mm) and Metz 48AF-1 (GN 48 at 85mm). ;) Decide to get at least 1 piece tomorrow:sweat:

longko, leave one piece for me!! I hope my trip tomorrow isn't going to be another wasted trip..

longko, leave one piece for me!! I hope my trip tomorrow isn't going to be another wasted trip..

I called earlier they said have 4 pieces or more.:bsmilie: I at most take 2 pieces only.. for strobist usage cheaper than having a Pentax flash fixed at >$150:cry:

By coincidence met brother sbc at the shop.
Just tested my RIVA SB-3000AF, verdict is CHEAP & GOOD. :thumbsup:
Actually I'm quite impressed by the performance of the flash and the price is definitely a steal. When I think of the price of the Pentax flash guns, I'm glad there are such no frills alternatives like this.

The unit is made of pretty utilitarian black plastic. Quite light and a little smaller than the AF-360FGZ. The contact pins on the shoe is tiny but some care needed when changing batteries as the battery cover is a little shaky when opened. There's a diffuser and a bounce card in front. Flash coverage is decent and the rear LCD panel is legible enough. Hey there's even a backlight! Small rubber buttons are standard and pretty straight forward.

Front view
Riva_front.jpg

Rear panel
Riva_rear.jpg

A few quick and unscientific sample shots (direct flash at 35mm setting, 1/60 sec f/8, ISO 200, subject distance is approximately 1 meter to camera, resize of full image). Had to pinch my son's toys and as you can see I still got Nikon gear... :embrass:

Manual 1/8 power
Riva_Test1.jpg

PTTL Auto
Riva_Test2.jpg

PTTL Auto -0.3EV Flash compensation
Riva_Test3.jpg

Based on my Minolta Autometer VF, the flash reads 1/60 sec f/22.3 ISO 200, which confirms that the unit is overexposing by 1/3 EV at 1 meter and progressively gravitate towards slight underexposure at longer shooting distances. From the above images, the PTTL is pretty good but I think some personal testing may be needed at typical working distances on determining the right amount of flash compensation when using PTTL Auto.

DENIS - thanks for the demo.

LONGKO - ha!? left only 2 pc.... must grab fast tmrw

I called earlier they said have 4 pieces or more.:bsmilie: I at most take 2 pieces only.. for strobist usage cheaper than having a Pentax flash fixed at >$150:cry:

what time did u call? creampuff and i were there at 4pm. After we each took one, i counted 2 left on the shelf. Maybe there are more at the back, or maybe not....:D

Think should have more stocks lah.. You think about it, most of the active Pentax users here liao. No one heard of Lexus or Riva SB-3000 till I brought it up. Think Swissco 1st time got ppl ask for Pentax mounts:bsmilie: Anyway if I there and they confirm got 2 only then I'll only take 1 lor.

Edit: Who knows maybe end up I'm the one who wun get one^^; Next time I keep mouth shut 1st till I get 1 copy myself 1st. lol (Just kidding)

Status
Not open for further replies.