Lexar or Sandisk ? (high speed card)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boo...

May 19, 2005
Sembawang
Hi Bro and sis,
Just want to buy new CF card for my new camera (8MP) so
which one is recommended Brand where can be considered to use (in terms of faster and more reliable) ? :think:

Boo... said:
Hi Bro and sis,
Just want to buy new CF card for my new camera (8MP) so
which one is recommended Brand where can be considered to use (in terms of faster and more reliable) ? :think:

Well, I would suggest you search the internet for reviews on the camera that you owned. Some sites like dpreview did memory cards tests using different brands. esp Sandisk III and Lexar 80x WA. So if your camera can benefit from the high speed and cost is not a problem. Get the one that is recommended. Also one thing to note is the firmware of the camera.

Point to note:

If you are owning a Canon DSLR, there is some compatibility problems with Lexar. So be warned. Check with the vendor when you make your purchase. No such problems with Nikon but not sure about the others.

How is the service for Sandisk (RMA) locally??

three other high speed cards to consider are the Transcend 120x, Kingston Ultimate 100x and Twinmos 140x (really a 100x card).

No body huh... has a great experience with Lexar-Pro with Wa? :dunno:
Wondering why Sandisk Ultra-2(66x) have highest speed than Lexar Pro (80x) ?

yyD70S said:
Point to note:

If you are owning a Canon DSLR, there is some compatibility problems with Lexar.
I am using LEXAR's (normal version) with my 350D, no problems so far. :)

Kingston, Lexar and Sandisk are all good. The only difference between these 3 and the rest is quality control. Afterall, a handfull of OEMs manufacture all teh world flash memory cards, and even fewer chip manufacturers produce the memory chips for everyone.

That said, did many tests, not scientific but who cares, with various makes, using various different cameras, I found the write speed differences are negligable. For example, after the buffer of my 20D is full, shooting raw, it takes an average of 1 to 1.5 second for each subsequent shot. In terms of speed, percentage wise, it's meaningful, in practice, I don't see it. Where I found meaningful difference in speed is when down loading to a PC or portable HDD.

I generally buys the cheapest among the big 3 card makers, and after 4 years and over 50K frames, nothing to complain, and still don't have a preference among the 3.

Boo... said:
I believe the 80x speed for the Lexar applies only for the cameras that support their WA (write accelerated) technology...

Boo... said:

I was told, Lexar pro(80x) is 1st choice of memory card which recommended by Nikon. :thumbsup:

Do check :

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/06011701lexar133xcards.asp

Lexar's new 133X CF / SD card. However, it still looses out to ScanDisc' Extreme III.

The problem Lexar faced with Canon's cameras has, i believed, been ratified. At least a call-back has been ordered for the United States of Ameria

-Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.