Lexar media image recovery rocks!!!! And scary!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamestan

Aug 16, 2004
Singapore
Hi all,

Too some pics of my family just now but accidently formatted the CF card. Was panicking until I remembered I have the Lexar software... Claims to be able to un-delete images even when formatted in camera. Kept my finges crossed during the drive all the way home...

When I used, WOW!!! Even images from generations ago (I believe from first use of the card!!) were recovered!!! :bigeyes: Scary!!! Only problem was, all images recovered were in TIFF format. Had to use NC4 to convert all I wanted back to RAW.

I mentioned scary because someone who claims to have deleted your picture from the memory card and SHOWS you he has done it can still recover the images, ya? In other words, once a picture is taken, its taken, unless the person uses the software and do a secure erase. But then again, there may be some software out there that can un-do this secure erase too!!!

I used the software on a Sandisk card and I also tried on the Kingston SD card. Both worked perfectly...

Forgot to add... Images were not recovered in order they were shot, though. HAve to manually re-number them.

keke... if u EVER have to sell ur card, u can use the image recovery software to securely delete ur card. takes a long long time but at least the manual said guarantee to prevent future recovery... ;)

Hmmm... I will use that on a 2nd hand card I bought recently... Hopefully the seller did not use it to take... well, you know... what kind of photos...

jamestan said:
Hmmm... I will use that on a 2nd hand card I bought recently... Hopefully the seller did not use it to take... well, you know... what kind of photos...

hahaha..... idea.... :bsmilie:

Erm.. just rename the extensions from TIF to NEF can already, :D

jamestan said:
Curious? Well, just check! ;p

yup the image recovery on lexar rocks!!! but hor...it doesn't really recover ALL the images when i tried...only bits and pieces...some of those recovered only showed half a picture also...but overall, it's better than nothing i guess.
Also, it can't recover videos...i tired on my old card and the videos came out as preview pics only...cannot play.

so, it is incomplete recovery. hmm....

esmondng said:
yup the image recovery on lexar rocks!!! but hor...it doesn't really recover ALL the images when i tried...only bits and pieces...some of those recovered only showed half a picture also...but overall, it's better than nothing i guess.
Also, it can't recover videos...i tired on my old card and the videos came out as preview pics only...cannot play.

actually, i don't really know how to use it.... it is in your card when u buy the card isit? does this mean that now, since i formatted it before retrieving the file from the card, the software iis gone? can i download it back from lexar site or something?

maritimus831 said:
actually, i don't really know how to use it.... it is in your card when u buy the card isit? does this mean that now, since i formatted it before retrieving the file from the card, the software iis gone? can i download it back from lexar site or something?

Think can use the recovery software to recover the recovery software??? Just kidding.....:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

esmondng said:

Noticed that the older the images, the lesser the recovery too...

And on my SD, which shot mainly as .JPG, it is renamed as .THM. Anyone have any idea how to batch-convert these to .JPG? I use NC4 and need to do one by one. Tedious

jamestan said:
Noticed that the older the images, the lesser the recovery too...

And on my SD, which shot mainly as .JPG, it is renamed as .THM. Anyone have any idea how to batch-convert these to .JPG? I use NC4 and need to do one by one. Tedious

Go to DOS mode.

Under the command prompt, type:
cd\whatever_sub_folder_your_recovered_photos_are <ENTER>
rename *.thm *.jpg <ENTER>
exit <ENTER>

Tada..... done.

actually the kinda stuff happens to all harddisks.. or memory device..
becos the software saves time by not actually "delete' all of the file data
it jus removes the file link so everyone (computer included) thinks there's nothing there..
but of cos the data is still readable if you know how..
lotsa free software to do that..
so not surprised the recovery worked on ur other cards..
i was surprised that formatting also doesn't remove the pics..
so it means format in camera is jus del everything also.
not a low level format.
heh.. but then the key to keeping the deleted file intact is not to write anymore stuff to it otherwise if part of the data is overwritten then not even a God can help you already

yaoxing said:
Go to DOS mode.

Under the command prompt, type:
cd\whatever_sub_folder_your_recovered_photos_are <ENTER>
rename *.thm *.jpg <ENTER>
exit <ENTER>

Tada..... done.

Thanks... Will try that later

oh yah my video files recovered were renamed as *.thm too....end up become thumbnail and cannot play keke. but i can't care less ... was just trying out the program for fun.

so if the camera format function cannot permanently erase the file in a CF, then how to do a low level format?

lucky never sell my card away..:sweat:

Btw where can get the download of this?? free?:sweatsm:

Status
Not open for further replies.