Lexar 40x vs 80x


Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

Guest
#1
just a quick look at rob's database, it seems that the 80x cards are not "twice" as fast ast the 40x. in slower cameras (D100), the speed seems to be the same. in faster cameras (D2h) the speed increase is only about 20%.

is the "X" rating arbitrary?

hmmm...
 

Sep 14, 2003
266
0
16
Bukit Timah
Visit site
#3
There are also differences between '1st Edition 80X' and '2nd Edition 80X' cards. Most cards shipping now are 1st Edition slower versions. 2nd Editions are supposed to have new Lexar logo.
 

V

vince123123

Guest
#4
The difference is not material....i'm talking abt 40x vs 80x

Altezza said:
There are also differences between '1st Edition 80X' and '2nd Edition 80X' cards. Most cards shipping now are 1st Edition slower versions. 2nd Editions are supposed to have new Lexar logo.
 

2100

Senior Member
Mar 3, 2004
3,591
0
0
48
#5
vince123123 said:
The difference is not material....i'm talking abt 40x vs 80x
Altezza actually has a point. The first edition ones are slow, they are much slower than even the Ultra II. I have tested them first hand. And the "new and improved" 40X Lexars are very fast. So both factors combined do affect performance. But for your question, the CF interface of the cam is a factor, you also need time to process from RAW to jpg, wait for ch readout from the sensor etc.....
 

V

vince123123

Guest
#6
hmm then perhaps i rephrase to compare the latest version of the 40x with the latest version of the 80x.

2100 said:
Altezza actually has a point. The first edition ones are slow, they are much slower than even the Ultra II. I have tested them first hand. And the "new and improved" 40X Lexars are very fast. So both factors combined do affect performance. But for your question, the CF interface of the cam is a factor, you also need time to process from RAW to jpg, wait for ch readout from the sensor etc.....
 

Sep 14, 2003
266
0
16
Bukit Timah
Visit site
#7
vince123123 said:
hmm then perhaps i rephrase to compare the latest version of the 40x with the latest version of the 80x.
Latest 2nd editionn 80x cards are not shipping yet, and 1st generation 80x cards will be phased out......so the comparison is only on rob's site as he has managed to get engineering prototype samples of 2nd edition 80x.

Go read more of rob's site and see which camera you are using, the 80x 2nd generation cards are faster on some cams - so if your cam just happens to read slow, 40x or 80x - any edition, wouldn't make a significant difference. The info is all there .....
 

2100

Senior Member
Mar 3, 2004
3,591
0
0
48
#8
Altezza said:
Latest 2nd editionn 80x cards are not shipping yet, and 1st generation 80x cards will be phased out......so the comparison is only on rob's site as he has managed to get engineering prototype samples of 2nd edition 80x.
Vince and I and some other 48 members will hopefully be getting the 2nd edition Lexar 80X sometime early next week. :angel:
 

2100

Senior Member
Mar 3, 2004
3,591
0
0
48
#10
Altezza said:
Luckily I made it to #33 on that list
Excellent! Hopefully it's before Wed or before that because I have a 2 nite event to shoot. Will be able to burst much more esp with the D70. Now shooting RAW +jpg for some tricky situations is actually possible.
 

Sep 14, 2003
266
0
16
Bukit Timah
Visit site
#12
Yes, 2nd edition 80x cards are supposed to have new logo.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-6459-7221

For the past several weeks, the word around the Web has been that Lexar had already begun to ship the 80X second edition CompactFlash cards we wrote about at the end of July 2004, despite the fact that John Omvik, Lexar's Director of Pro Product Marketing and our primary contact at the company, was emphatic that 80X cards currently being shipped to retailers or sent out as replacements by tech support were still 80X first edition units.

In fact, Lexar's message to us about the status of 80X second edition cards has been consistent since early September 2004: they're not shipping yet, they will be shipping soon and they'll make their debut dressed up in redesigned packaging that shows off the company's new logo.
 

2100

Senior Member
Mar 3, 2004
3,591
0
0
48
#13
Altezza said:
Yes, 2nd edition 80x cards are supposed to have new logo.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-6459-7221
Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully the MO shipment has packaging with the new logo. Coz my D70 will be able to take advantage of the speed. Anyway, it's still damn cheap if it's the "first edition", though it'd be noticeably slower (coz i tried it before at EastGear in burst mode).
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom