Lexar 40x vs 80x

Status
Not open for further replies.

+evenstar

I was just wondering, does the Lexar 80x 1GB CF card work as fast as the Lexar 40x 1GB CF card in my 300D??Cos I've heard from some people that the write speed of the 300D is limited...so now I'm not sure which one to buy...the 80x ~$469 or save some $$ and buy the 40x at $389...

From Rob Galbraith's CF database:

Lexar 1GB 40x: 1.227 to write large fine JPEG, 1.205 to write RAW. 6.870 card to computer.
Lexar 1GB 80x: 1.296 to write large fine JPEG, 1.280 to write RAW, 7.145 card to computer.

(All units are in MB/sec).

Conclusion: the 80x is faster, but not by much. I don't think you'll be able to tell the difference in the real world.

I've both 40x and 80x and am using a 10D, I can feel quite a bit of difference when using the 80x card on my 10D while shooting raw.

The Lexar 80x WA is even slower than the Ultra II on the D70. Tested both side by side with continuous burst till it slows down..... But the Lexar is the first edition slower version..... The new 80x is supposed to give the Ultra II a run for its money, and the D70 supports WA mind you..... ;p

If you want to see if there is a diff for your cam, bring it down to Eastgear and test. Nothing beats A/B comparison in real life.

Have a read to temporary cure your curiosity :D

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6425

Sandisk Ultra II might be the one you have to get.
as with 20kB / sec write diff .... the $$ is not justifiable.

300D camera throughput is around 72x [1x == 150kbps (not is small b not big B)], hence there is a 6x diff up from Sandisk U2 and 8x diff down from the Lexar WA.

:think:

b18 said:
300D camera throughput is around 72x [1x == 150kbps (not is small b not big B)], hence there is a 6x diff up from Sandisk U2 and 8x diff down from the Lexar WA.

Huh? 300D so fast at 72X? That's even faster than a D70/1DMk2/D2H.

2100 said:
Huh? 300D so fast at 72X? That's even faster than a D70/1DMk2/D2H.

I did say throughput right ? :)

300D
Lexar Media 2GB 80X Write Acceleration *second edition*10 Lexar I 2004/7/29 1.319MB/sec 1.288MB/sec

1D mk II
Kingston Elite Pro 512MB
(Edge stamp: 1GC5121MY0-2EA00) Samsung I 2004/7/29 3.681MB/sec 3.878MB/sec

D2H
Kingston Elite Pro 512MB
(Edge stamp: 1GC5121MY0-2EA00) Samsung I 2004/7/29 4.229MB/sec 5.115MB/sec

S2 Pro
Lexar Media 2GB 80X Write Acceleration *second edition*12 Lexar I 2004/7/29 1.746MB/sec 1.949MB/sec

D1H
Lexar Media 512MB 40X Write Acceleration
(Edge stamp, first two digits: 38) Lexar I 2003/4/1 1.594MB/sec 2.453MB/sec

and you can research how individual cards perform on one cam from Rob's
site.

=bob=

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/page10.asp

this is the test done on dpreview.

errr.... b18, i think u got the speed wrong, rite? Rob Galbraith put the speed for Lexar WA 1GB 40x CF as 1.227MB/sec. which means, following ur formula (1x=150kbps), 300D has a write speed of ard 8-9x? sorry if i make a mistake. maths is never a strong point for me.... :embrass:

anyway, i use the 40x Lexar card becos (a) its cheaper than SanDisk Ultra II, at least it's cheaper where i bought it, and (b) at least its future proof, in case canon decides to support WA in their future cameras. at least i dun have to upgrade my CF card. so far, my Lexar has performed admirably in terms of write/read speed. as mentioned, the problem of 'slowness' is not due to the card alone, but also becos of the I/O bottleneck in the 300D. the buffer of 300D cannot handle continous shooting beyond 2-3 fps. this is why a 40x performance is the same as 80x. so, if u are into action shooting, u either have to upgrade to the 10D, 1Ds or 1DmkII. or, u have to be patient while waiting for the cam to write the files into the CF.

that said, whether one wants to buy the 40x now, or to spend more to buy 80x (or Ultra II Extreme), depends on ur future needs. do u want to upgrade from 300D to other higher-end (ie faster cam write speed and bigger buffer) soon? if yes, then spend a bit more to get a faster card. if not, then stick to the 40x or Ultra II.

oh yeah, another thing to take note. 300D's USB is 1.1. ie- unless u're using Lexar's JumpShot cable (which is provided with the CF upon purchase) or a USB2.0 CF card reader, the transfer speed from cam to computer/printer will be slow, irregardless of the speed of the card. ;)

+evenstar said:
What about Sandisk Extreme 1GB at $449 or Ultra II 1GB at $380??Are these two better than the Lexar 40x/80x?

better in wat sense? reliability? or write speeds? for speeds, rob galbraith's comparison chart has the ans. in any case, the speed differences is not a great difference. the fine print below rob's chart stated that the speed differences of SanDisk and Lexar cards are very marignal for 300D. so, really makes no difference. therefore, IMO, the deciding factor would be pricing.

in terms of reliability, again, there are no significant differences. of course, its really luck of the draw. sometimes, u get a bad batch of cards (Sandisk, Lexar or otherwise) and sometimes u dun. some CSers here have complained that their CF cards failed after a few uses. some of us have no problems at all and swear by their fav brands. really up to u on which brand u prefer. i've used both brands b4, plus other taiwanese no-name brands. so far, thank God, no problems at all.

unless you're using say 1 series EOS DSLR or D70/D2H, the speed in the real world is very very negligible.

Save your money, get the cheapest you can afford lah,

Status
Not open for further replies.