Let's talk about ..... Budget for "a better Singapore"

Retraining also include learning a new skill. He can retrain to be a fork lift driver or container driver, I heard they are well paid. Plumber or electrician can make abt 3k/mth too.the plumber who replace my heater can make about $80 per job and his schedule is always pack. 2 jobs a day for 26 days is a cool $2080 and I am sure he takes more job then that. Retraining also open up your option and opportunities.

Retraining also include learning a new skill. He can retrain to be a fork lift driver or container driver, I heard they are well paid. Plumber or electrician can make abt 3k/mth too.the plumber who replace my heater can make about $80 per job and his schedule is always pack. 2 jobs a day for 26 days is a cool $2080 and I am sure he takes more job then that. Retraining also open up your option and opportunities.

You are right. There are shortages of container quay crane driver in PSA, and they are rather well paid ($4000-5000 is easily attainable). But the training is long and initial pay during training is not that much. Also, its not for the old as you need to climb (well, most quay cranes have lifts, but they are still some flights of stairs to climb) 10-12 storeys high. So its definite not a job for the old.

You are right. There are shortages of container quay crane driver in PSA, and they are rather well paid ($4000-5000 is easily attainable). But the training is long and initial pay during training is not that much. Also, its not for the old as you need to climb (well, most quay cranes have lifts, but they are still some flights of stairs to climb) 10-12 storeys high. So its definite not a job for the old.

So long as there is no minimum wage here and foreign workers remain cheap, no one will be incentivised enough to take on a low end job. So all this job training is rather meaningless if it does not translate to a effective wage increase.

only for three years only.

SG gov will pay 40% of your pay raise

If you get $50 increment again this year ( like what you got every year ) Gov will pay for $20 of the increment

what about those who are singles or lived in pte property?

Maybe I should be more specific. Those who served NS deserved more concession when buying public housing. I think this fair to all male Singaporean who served the country.

So long as there is no minimum wage here and foreign workers remain cheap, no one will be incentivised enough to take on a low end job. So all this job training is rather meaningless if it does not translate to a effective wage increase.

The truth is, there will be wage increase only if there is demand for the retrained skilled workers. If cheap foreign skilled labour continues to be readily available, wages will remain low, according to the standard set by the foreign labour.

Take for example. Restaurant service staff. Are they skilled or non skilled? To me, i think it depends on how they dish out their service. Its a job nobody wants. Even if the boss is willing to pay more for a waiter than office clerks. Most people would rather work as office clerks. Because the environment is better. They can use their mobile phones to chat when they work in office. They are considered as white collar worker, hence have more self esteem. The waiter will always be looked upon as low end job, low pay (even if it might not be true), always busy (may not be true as well), most importantly, most parents would not allow their kids to work as waiters, but ok to work as office clerks, because of their face. Sad but true facts of all developed nation and metropolitan city.

what about those who are singles or lived in pte property?

Those who own pte property are not allowed to buy HDB anyway. The rule says, a private property owner are not qualifed to purchase or apply to purchase new HDB or EC directly from HDB or developer within 12 months after selling their private property. And whoever owns any property anywhere in the world, are not qualified to apply to purchase for HDB directly from HDB. Resale HDB/EC from open market is allowed, but subjected to 2nd property Loan To Value rule, when they apply for mortgage loan from banks.

Last edited:
The truth is, there will be wage increase only if there is demand for the retrained skilled workers. If cheap foreign skilled labour continues to be readily available, wages will remain low, according to the standard set by the foreign labour.

Take for example. Restaurant service staff. Are they skilled or non skilled? To me, i think it depends on how they dish out their service. Its a job nobody wants. Even if the boss is willing to pay more for a waiter than office clerks. Most people would rather work as office clerks. Because the environment is better. They can use their mobile phones to chat when they work in office. They are considered as white collar worker, hence have more self esteem. The waiter will always be looked upon as low end job, low pay (even if it might not be true), always busy (may not be true as well), most importantly, most parents would not allow their kids to work as waiters, but ok to work as office clerks, because of their face. Sad but true facts of all developed nation and metropolitan city.

There is however the issue of exploitation...