Lets do Star Trails in near by Islands, Interested?

Participants
-------------------------------
1. StarCaptain/Krishna
2. Uenuei/david
3. kamsky/Ronald - Available only this coming weekend

One more is showing interest by name "Yilin", Just waiting for his response. If he joins us, we can make this weekend.

Participants
1. StarCaptain/Krishna
2. Uenuei/david

Participants
1. StarCaptain/Krishna
2. Uenuei/david
4. Lighthouse/Lawrence

To do startrail,

Bring:
Tripod, wired shutter release, lots of battery, torchlight,

Just set to 30sec shutter and lock the shutter release.
Taking a super long single exposure is not recommended due to noise.
The camera will keeps on taking a 30sec exposure.
Let it run for as long as time/battery/your patience permits, and you may need to cover your eyepiece to prevent stray lights from your torch.
It does not matter if the foreground is underexposed 30sec
Lastly, take a properly exposed frame of the foreground using bulb mode
Stitch all photos using a photoshop action and viola, you get a trail

You will need a foreground with interest, such as a lighthouse etc to anchor your photo to make it interesting.
And yes you will need a wide angle or a fisheye.
The area should be as less light polluted as possible and do not move the camera or else you will not have a nice stitch.

To stack images and keep the brightest light for each frame use...file/scripts/statistics located in the scripts area in CS3. Set your stack mode to maximum and load the files.

Last edited:
Great,
Please let us know if everyone is fine to travel this weekend (SAT) to mersing near to JB (as Uenuei suggested).
I am ok any time

Participants
1. StarCaptain/Krishna
2. Uenuei/david
4. Lighthouse/Lawrence

Fellas,

I would be glad if we all meetup/chat/whatsApp(93362824) for this discussion,
If you are on Google+(Add me +KrishnaNellutla I will be online 2moro from 9pm -10pm), we can initiate an quick Hangout to discuss about this any time.

Great,
Please let us know if everyone is fine to travel this weekend (SAT) to mersing near to JB (as Uenuei suggested).
I am ok any time

Last edited:
Participants
1. StarCaptain/Krishna
2. Uenuei/david
4. Lighthouse/Lawrence
6. vinvinvin/AlvinChan

anybody drive here?

To do startrail,

Bring:
Tripod, wired shutter release, lots of battery, torchlight,

Just set to 30sec shutter and lock the shutter release.
Taking a super long single exposure is not recommended due to noise.
The camera will keeps on taking a 30sec exposure.
Let it run for as long as time/battery/your patience permits, and you may need to cover your eyepiece to prevent stray lights from your torch.
It does not matter if the foreground is underexposed 30sec
Lastly, take a properly exposed frame of the foreground using bulb mode
Stitch all photos using a photoshop action and viola, you get a trail

You will need a foreground with interest, such as a lighthouse etc to anchor your photo to make it interesting.
And yes you will need a wide angle or a fisheye.
The area should be as less light polluted as possible and do not move the camera or else you will not have a nice stitch.

To stack images and keep the brightest light for each frame use...file/scripts/statistics located in the scripts area in CS3. Set your stack mode to maximum and load the files.
I may be a little extra over here cause I cant make it but have some recommendations for first time shooters...

1. Bring mosquito repellent
2. Bring a wide angle large aperture lens (2.8 is better)
3. Bring a plastic bag to fill up with sand and hook to the bottom of the tripod
4. Remember to shoot in JPG! For star trails anyway. The background shot can be done in RAW
5. StarStaX is not too bad for stacking. Its what I use.
6. You can use the built in camera timer if it has one.

I may be a little extra over here cause I cant make it but have some recommendations for first time shooters...

1. Bring mosquito repellent
2. Bring a wide angle large aperture lens (2.8 is better)
3. Bring a plastic bag to fill up with sand and hook to the bottom of the tripod
4. Remember to shoot in JPG! For star trails anyway. The background shot can be done in RAW
5. StarStaX is not too bad for stacking. Its what I use.
6. You can use the built in camera timer if it has one.
And oh if your using a Nikon and a intervalometer remember to shoot in single mode. Continuous mode only allows for 100 shots (For D300s, anyway). I found that out the hard way.

And oh if your using a Nikon and a intervalometer remember to shoot in single mode. Continuous mode only allows for 100 shots (For D300s, anyway). I found that out the hard way.

Thanks Demonic, that's quite use ful tips

Guys, i would like to join but not sure on which day you are planning. can we fix the date and location first? good idea to drive if it is malaysia, i wil be driving so we might need another car to fit everyone

Participants
1. StarCaptain/Krishna
2. Uenuei/david
4. Lighthouse/Lawrence
6. vinvinvin/AlvinChan

keep in view, 5thalo/Adrian Ng - Available only 28 29 onwards .

Last edited:
Guys, i would like to join but not sure on which day you are planning. can we fix the date and location first? good idea to drive if it is malaysia, i wil be driving so we might need another car to fit everyone

Guys,

We got to meetup some place to discuss on this, otherwise this discussion will keep going. Not sure if everyone works near to town, if not please let us know.

Since 2moro is friday, Let us meet for lunch/Evening and discuss. Those who cannot make at lunch, I can see you in the evening(Please confirm your meeting session with me over SMS).

Place: Raffles Place MRT

Lunch Hrs: 12.30 (noon)

Evening Hrs: Around 7pm

Reach me at 93362824 (SMS/WhatApp)

Mostly we will plan for this weekend.

Last edited:
can we meet in the evening for dinner?

Sorry guys,

Since most of you dropped, I will try to re-schedule it next week. Mean while I will come back with location details.

Found one of the CS member from MY has StarTrail experience and have fabulous series MY Landscape.

haha..liew is my friend =p

uenuei said:
haha..liew is my friend =p

Oh that's good news for me :D, no wonder if he shares his location spots. Then I don't mind if u lead this.

if u guys shooting near the coast area, be sure to have a warm cloth or those heat pads to wrap ard your lens to prevent your lens from fogging up halfway thru the shoot.

the place he went is not JB area...unless u wanna spend 2 night in malaysia...the next new moon is 17 aug.