Lets be honest here

At which stage in photography are you currently at?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

michhy

Oct 21, 2005
curious

blive said:
is there anything to be dishonest about here?

like my avatar pic is not really mine

michhy said:
I use P mode and sometimes A mode for exposure but uses custom curve and manual white balance and manual ISO. What stage am I supposed to be at?

JediForce4ever said:
Aperture priority for me when I shoot sports and outdoors for the control over the DOF.But during events, its M for me.
Just wondering what you meter with when you use M. When I use flash, I will sometimes to use M also. Since most of the time I rely on the camera metering, I don't really bother about M. If I need more control, I will use A for DOF, if that is not important, I'll just choose an aperture until I get the shutter speed I want. Otherwise, I'll just stick to P. Occasionally, I will need to change ISO to get the desired combi. Ahh... beauty of digital! :)

I use Av and Tv most of the times, sometimes M. But still cannot get the hang of it :dunno:

Using which mode doesn't really signify what stage u r in... But i guess the choices are alright to select when u ignore the question... haha :bsmilie:

I use Av most of the time to control DOF, Tv when shooting moving objects (in stable lighting), and M when using flash or when the subject and/or background have a high contrast (I don't trust the meter in these cases).

In ambient/low light having control of the ISO is one of the best features of digital.

If DOF is not important then why not use Tv ?

lsisaxon said:
Just wondering what you meter with when you use M. When I use flash, I will sometimes to use M also. Since most of the time I rely on the camera metering, I don't really bother about M. If I need more control, I will use A for DOF, if that is not important, I'll just choose an aperture until I get the shutter speed I want. Otherwise, I'll just stick to P. Occasionally, I will need to change ISO to get the desired combi. Ahh... beauty of digital! :)

lsisaxon said:
I dont meter....just set to 1/100 , f5.6 and speedlite will do the rest.

these are not stages in photography, if you're talking about stages i only know 4

1. interested - new to photography and want to know more
2. learning - grasping with the basics of photography
3. exploring - testing grounds, experimentation
4. expressing - photography as a tool for expressing one's life, artistic ideas and ideals

eikin said:
these are not stages in photography, if you're talking about stages i only know 4

1. interested - new to photography and want to know more
2. learning - grasping with the basics of photography
3. exploring - testing grounds, experimentation
4. expressing - photography as a tool for expressing one's life, artistic ideas and ideals

It's less actually as you never ever stop learning with photography.

I view the steps as:

0) Gear measurebater/wanker. - Talkin' **** about cameras and specifications.
1) Guesswork - you guess and hope/pray it works.
2) Informed guesswork - you are learning exposure theory and hoping it works.
3) Reduced guesswork - you knoow enough so that most shots work, most of the time.
4) Experimentation - trying and pushing your limits in all senses photographically.
5) Being called - attempting to make a living out of photography
6) Rejection - what happens to 99 out of 100 who try level 5
7) Godhood - Attaining the holy grail of being a professional phogotrapher and surviving.
8) Advanced Godhood - Shooting for Magnum Images.

*Tongue firmly planted in cheek* ;p

Ian said:

I view the steps as:

3) Reduced guesswork - you knoow enough so that most shots work, most of the time.
4) Experimentation - trying and pushing your limits in all senses photographically.
7) Godhood - Attaining the holy grail of being a professional phogotrapher and surviving.

wah, so complicated :bigeyes: so which stage are you in now?

Ian said:

I view the steps as:

Haha i think i;m level 3.5 like that :sweat:

Ian said:

I view the steps as:

HAHAH this sounds so much like Ken rockwell's 7 level pf photographer....
poor me.... still at level 1...... :cry:

I'm a noob.

JediForce4ever said:
I dont meter....just set to 1/100 , f5.6 and speedlite will do the rest.
Oh ok. :) Now it is clear how you got by with M. I avoid flash whenever I can so I had to rely on some form of metering.

Status
Not open for further replies.