lenspen - useful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skopio

Nov 26, 2006
hello,

am debating getting a lenspen, should i? some reviews praise it's convenience but im concerned about the carbon compound let behind on the lens. read somewhere tt if u use lenspen cannot use cleaning solution, otherwise the solution will mix with the carbon compound, ie. bad for lens.

any CS-ers using lenspen? what's ur experience? =)

TIA.

alamak...now then u say abt the carbon compound thing... i just used the lenspen my first time 1 hour ago... ya i just bought it today.

yes, its pretty good, after using it to clean my lens filter, it really seems better now. cleaner & clearer

the mixing with solution thingy i have no idea liao..

alamak...now then u say abt the carbon compound thing... i just used the lenspen my first time 1 hour ago... ya i just bought it today.

yes, its pretty good, after using it to clean my lens filter, it really seems better now. cleaner & clearer

the mixing with solution thingy i have no idea liao..

eh.. to clarify, i think if u only use lenspen no prob. but i'm so clumsy, sure touch my lens element now and then. so inquiring abt the lenspen now..

anyone experience prob with lenspen?

So far I would say no probs. Quick and convenient. The only thing is after using it for a few months, make sure the felt tip is not wearing off or you may end up scratching the lens like I did... :bsmilie:

The lenspen is like magic pen izit? Meaning it has some sort of chemical oozing out into the brush to aid in the cleaning? :dunno:

The lenspen is like magic pen izit? Meaning it has some sort of chemical oozing out into the brush to aid in the cleaning? :dunno:
Nope. It uses a carbon compound and felt lined tip to clean the lens. There is still a brush on the reverse end however...

I don't own one but I was able to use it before when a friend let me use his lenspen after I accidentally smudged my lens filter. It worked great and from that time I had been planning to get one myself. I didn't know about the carbon deposits though... :( Not sure if this will be a problem with long term usage. Maybe some long term users can give some better tips.

careful about that brush... mine accumulated some dirt/oil & ended up making my filter/lens dirtier than before i started :(

hey, thx for the quick replies..

panic: care to say whether it was a manufacturing/user fault? cause even microfiber cloth can pick up foreign materials and damage lens too..

anyone know about the carbon compound mixed with cleaning solution problem?

if you are using lenspen, why would you need to further use cleaning solution? it is a very effective tool for clean stubborn stains on lens, glasses etc.
as with all products, there is a useful lifespan, when you see there is sufficient wear, just get a new one. it's inexpensive.
but don't use it like a magic wand to clean lens, clean cupboard, clean LCD screen bla bla all using one pen. it's pretty obvious isn't it? then you would have too many foreign bodies attached to it. besides you can visually check the fat tip for foreign particles before you clean your lens.
can't think of a more convenient or effective way to do the job. it's definitely recommended.

i would say it is user responsibility, cause usually, the brush is clean when purchased. but through regular use, it probably accumulated dirt along the way

hmm.. how abt the carbon compounds issue? anyone got experience?

Any suggestion what brand to get and should you brush off the carbon after cleaning?

Any suggestion what brand to get and should you brush off the carbon after cleaning?
not sure, but so far only saw one main manu...
there is no carbon compound residue after cleaning...

actually if u take care of your equipment and do superficial brushing everytime when u come back home, u don't need it at all.

I've also just got a box after a decade of taking photo...primarily for the digital gear...things that get into serious issue was unheard of in the past, but what I can say the lenspen is only good for superficial smudges. If u have stubborn deposits, the lenspens cannot remove it readily. If its just some oil, residue etc then it works great. Dun use too much though because the carbon compound will stuck on to unsmooth areas in case your lens has been scratched before. The lenspen will fill up the scratch with the carbon. Then its good luck for u!

Status
Not open for further replies.