LENSPEN for CCD sensor cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwt11137

Sep 19, 2005
Woodlands
Anyone ever try using the LENSPEN to clean ur CCD sensor care to share

Whoever is trying to attempt this stunt, all I can say is "You must be really crazy man!":confused:

lwt11137 said:
Anyone ever try using the LENSPEN to clean ur CCD sensor care to share

That would be a very unwise and costly thing to do if you scratch that ccd with the lenspen. :nono:

I have own and used lenspen for a long long time. For one thing, the pen is thick. To hold and put that to that small chamber areas you might be banging it around the inner walls. The inner wall or chamber of the camera is painted matt black for a good reason. You don't want to end up scratching the paint wall which can create shiny surface...etc that could confuse the exposure TTL sensor from reading the lighting properly or let in stray glare of light instead of adsorbing it ....in the worst case scenario.

As for the CCD sensor, to use the brush end of the lenspen to sweep that small size sensor would be very hard given the same inner chamber of the camera as I mentioned above. And if you try to use the othe end which has that shallow CUP-like device with the special material..that would also be out of the question. The reason why it has that CUP-like shape is because it is suppose to CUP the contour of a typical glass element in the front or back of your len. The cup shapes make it more tightly touching the surface of the glass element to effectively clean the lens of any dirt and stuff.

Your CCD sensor is FLAT unlike the front glass of your lens. And again, the cup shape is so broad that you can hardly move it around in there. There is a very thin glass laminate that is on top of the CCD sensor acting to protect the sensor but it does not mean it is as tough a glass piece like your lens element to withstand the rubbing action against it. And worst if it does pick up a reasonable hard piece of particle, you start rubbing the ccd sensor, it will ends up scruffing or cutting up that sensor's protective glass laminate. You can say bye bye to sensor in that case and pay to get a new one replaced. CCD sensors is the heart of your DSLR...thus a new replacement will not be CHEAP. And as your lenspen's cup shape cleaning end is circular in shape as well, it can not clean the corners of the CCD sensor.

I personally do my own cleaning and I use very thin structure and specially shaped len cleaning tissue to wipe the sensor and I do it very slowly and lightly touching the sensor surface and I take my time to let it slowly clean up whatever dirt or dust or grime is on the sensor laminate suface. You can not press down hard on it hopping to do the job fast and with a few strokes. So I am certain when I say, please don't even try to clean your ccd sensor with a lenspen. If you are not sure how to do it, it would be wise to pay a bit of money to get it done by someone qualified.

Besides...what did you think they call it a lenspen instead of a sensorpen to begin with!!????

just curious to find out is the lenspen can clean the censor filter which sound equivalent to a lens filter to me, thank you all brother for the important advice. So what is the best way to clean the CCD sensor (other send back to the serv ctr) and where to get the proven cleaning kit for Nikon D70s. Wah seem like more trouble than flim camera.

dont understand why you guys are so afraid to clean the lowpass filter infront of the cmos sensor?:dunno:

i had used things like lens paper, tissue paper and cotton bud (new from the pack ofcause), no problem at all:thumbsup:

denniskee said:
dont understand why you guys are so afraid to clean the lowpass filter infront of the cmos sensor?:dunno:

i had used things like lens paper, tissue paper and cotton bud (new from the pack ofcause), no problem at all:thumbsup:
just dry clean without any solvent or liquid must learn from you shi fu, please elaborate more technique, thank in advance.

aaaa

never use liquid lay, just lightly wipe only lor, so far nothing happen to my d60 lay.

if you afraid like that too dry, than use a drinking strall to blow the lowpass filter with your mouth, just make sure your saliver dont drip on it lor.

denniskee said:
if you afraid like that too dry, than use a drinking strall to blow the lowpass filter with your mouth, just make sure your saliver dont drip on it lor.

Not advisible. Introducing moisture in the form of vapour from your breath, which may condense on the electronics. Better off using a blower.

denniskee said:
thank, will try when needed hopefully need not at all.

solarii said:
Not advisible. Introducing moisture in the form of vapour from your breath, which may condense on the electronics. Better off using a blower.

if the electronics cant even take the vapour from your breath, than it may short circuit if you try using it right after you move from a cold aircond environment to a humid environment.

pls, the camera are disign to be able to use even though the exterial have codensation, when the lens clears up, there is still condensation in the camera.

or its just me, i dont baby the eqpt like most does.

denniskee said:
if the electronics cant even take the vapour from your breath, than it may short circuit if you try using it right after you move from a cold aircond environment to a humid environment.

pls, the camera are disign to be able to use even though the exterial have codensation, when the lens clears up, there is still condensation in the camera.

or its just me, i dont baby the eqpt like most does.

If you say so... after all its your stuff

lets see, if i blow onto my glasses, it takes about 3-4 sec to evpourate the condensation.
if i blow onto my desk top, the condensation evapourates in 2-3 sec
those engineers out there, whats your comment if any? will condensation caused by a sigle direct blow through a specific pcb via a drinking straw damage the electronics? :D

denniskee said:
lets see, if i blow onto my glasses, it takes about 3-4 sec to evpourate the condensation.
if i blow onto my desk top, the condensation evapourates in 2-3 sec
those engineers out there, whats your comment if any? will condensation caused by a sigle direct blow through a specific pcb via a drinking straw damage the electronics? :D

Read my post carefully. I NEVER said that it WILL damage the electronics. I just said that you're introducing moisture into the system.

YOU interpreted the damage part so don't attribute it to me.

And lest you say that I implied it, I will clarify that I implied nothing. I'm merely stating matter-of-factly to remind others that there's moisture in their breaths which can condense on the PCBs. If they feel that its insignificant then so be it.

sorry, but i think you mis-understood me.

my last posting is not directed to anyone in specific, but just a discussion, asking for opinoin from engineer.

should you feel offended, than i offer my apology.

My experience. Once I accidentally touched my camera's CCD with my finger, leaving a greased stain. Panicked, I used my lens pen to clean it...Managed to clean away the stain without scratching the CCD.

Actually, I did a search on the net, and other camera forum. The hot mirror on the CCD is quite scratch resistant. Won't scratch easily. But my little experience is not recommended

sammy888 said:
That would be a very unwise and costly thing to do if you scratch that ccd with the lenspen. :nono:

I have own and used lenspen for a long long time. For one thing, the pen is thick. To hold and put that to that small chamber areas you might be banging it around the inner walls. The inner wall or chamber of the camera is painted matt black for a good reason. You don't want to end up scratching the paint wall which can create shiny surface...etc that could confuse the exposure TTL sensor from reading the lighting properly or let in stray glare of light instead of adsorbing it ....in the worst case scenario.

As for the CCD sensor, to use the brush end of the lenspen to sweep that small size sensor would be very hard given the same inner chamber of the camera as I mentioned above. And if you try to use the othe end which has that shallow CUP-like device with the special material..that would also be out of the question. The reason why it has that CUP-like shape is because it is suppose to CUP the contour of a typical glass element in the front or back of your len. The cup shapes make it more tightly touching the surface of the glass element to effectively clean the lens of any dirt and stuff.

Your CCD sensor is FLAT unlike the front glass of your lens. And again, the cup shape is so broad that you can hardly move it around in there. There is a very thin glass laminate that is on top of the CCD sensor acting to protect the sensor but it does not mean it is as tough a glass piece like your lens element to withstand the rubbing action against it. And worst if it does pick up a reasonable hard piece of particle, you start rubbing the ccd sensor, it will ends up scruffing or cutting up that sensor's protective glass laminate. You can say bye bye to sensor in that case and pay to get a new one replaced. CCD sensors is the heart of your DSLR...thus a new replacement will not be CHEAP. And as your lenspen's cup shape cleaning end is circular in shape as well, it can not clean the corners of the CCD sensor.

I personally do my own cleaning and I use very thin structure and specially shaped len cleaning tissue to wipe the sensor and I do it very slowly and lightly touching the sensor surface and I take my time to let it slowly clean up whatever dirt or dust or grime is on the sensor laminate suface. You can not press down hard on it hopping to do the job fast and with a few strokes. So I am certain when I say, please don't even try to clean your ccd sensor with a lenspen. If you are not sure how to do it, it would be wise to pay a bit of money to get it done by someone qualified.

Besides...what did you think they call it a lenspen instead of a sensorpen to begin with!!????
you left out the fact that the cleaning surface of the lenspen is coated with a funny black powder that helps to remove stains and stuffs from lens surfaces.. the powder might be a bad dust hazard for future pictures.. =p

Status
Not open for further replies.