Lenspen brush to clean sensor

chanalb

Aug 29, 2009
I was overseas for holiday and found my sensor to have a few large specks of dust that was clearly visible at F8 and even vague visible at F5.6. Since my cam warranty was over and I did not want the dust to spoil my pics for the rest of my trip, I used in desperation my lenspen brush to sweep the sensor. I swept gingerly at first but the dust was still there. So I did it again and swept more vigoursly in circular motion. And guess what? It worked brilliantly...haha. Dust was not visible anymore even at F16 and only a few minor, almost invisible specks at F22. Looks like our cam sensor is not that fragile and the camera makers are just scaring us so that we are willing pay to have our sensors cleaned by them. ;p

I was overseas for holiday and found my sensor to have a few large specks of dust that was clearly visible at F8 and even vague visible at F5.6. Since my cam warranty was over and I did not want the dust to spoil my pics for the rest of my trip, I used in desperation my lenspen brush to sweep the sensor. I swept gingerly at first but the dust was still there. So I did it again and swept more vigoursly in circular motion. And guess what? It worked brilliantly...haha. Dust was not visible anymore even at F16 and only a few minor, almost invisible specks at F22. Looks like our cam sensor is not that fragile and the camera makers are just scaring us so that we are willing pay to have our sensors cleaned by them. ;p
first thing y i nv use my lenspen brush is because it might be even more dusty than the sensor.

first thing y i nv use my lenspen brush is because it might be even more dusty than the sensor.

:bsmilie:

TS should use a LED torch light to shine at the sensor area to see. I am sure u will see more dust then ever! :bsmilie:

Clearly you were careful. But we have seen other postings here from people using less care and less suitable tools. The results were different from yours and resolving it was not always cheap.

erm , first of all, your lenspen brush is probably not the best thing to use.

especially if you introduce oils, etc on the brush. frankly speaking, just a blower would probably be sufficient. and that is what i use overseas, with lens cleaning solution + swabs on holiday. and only when it gets too bad.

yes, the sensor is not that delicate, because you are actually cleaning a piece of glass over it... but for other things, you make error, it's not so bad. if you screw it up and scratch the glass, replacing it is not cheap. well, so long as you are careful, and ensure you use more proper tools.

i think my lenspen brush is pretty dirty too.. If it works for you, great. But i'm quite certain you have introduce more dust to your sensor if you have been using your lenspen brush for other cleaning purposes.

I will always prefer blower as a first step to sensor cleaning.

i think my lenspen brush is pretty dirty too.. If it works for you, great. But i'm quite certain you have introduce more dust to your sensor if you have been using your lenspen brush for other cleaning purposes.

I will always prefer blower as a first step to sensor cleaning.

yeah, i would always use a blower and blow as hard as i could... however when all else fails then i might just be tempted to use lenspen on the sensor... you are one lucky chap!

I used to send it to back to Sony for sensor cleaning when the cam was underwarranty so I have never touched my sensor until now. I also don't have any blower but I think I will be getting one and some swabs also to do my own sensor cleaning . But since I was overseas without any cleaning kit except the my lens pen so I thought what the heck, my pics will be ruined with the big blob of dust anyway so why not try and brush the sensor with the lens pen. If I further dirtied the sensor with the brushing, then I would use my backup PnS for the whole trip then. If I had damaged my sensor, then its time for a body upgrade anyway ;p

Lenspen do have a brush design to clean sensor, the bush tip is triangular shape and tiltable, so if able to reach the corner of sensor.

[vid]Li4eS_5kXxA[/vid]

Lens pen brush does not have any cover, thus chances as mentioned by fellow CSers that the brush may contain more unwanted dust/dirt particles.
Anyway, since TS is in a desperate situation, thus deployed desperate measure. :sweatsm:

wondering if the TS used the carbon tip or the brush used for sweeping away dust

Lenspen do have a brush design to clean sensor, the bush tip is triangular shape and tiltable, so if able to reach the corner of sensor.

[vid]Li4eS_5kXxA[/vid]

Yah, I saw this before online, it is called SensorKlear. The newer version 2 is the one with the tiltable tip to be used together with the sensor loupe. There is an older version that is non tiltable and I think I will be getting this instead as I don't intend to buy the loupe which is quite expensive. The older version also has a brush but I don't seem any instructions on what is is for. The cleaning instruction involves only using the carbon tip and a blower. Maybe the brush can be used to clean the mirror. :)

Yah, I saw this before online, it is called SensorKlear. The newer version 2 is the one with the tiltable tip to be used together with the sensor loupe. There is an older version that is non tiltable and I think I will be getting this instead as I don't intend to buy the loupe which is quite expensive. The older version also has a brush but I don't seem any instructions on what is is for. The cleaning instruction involves only using the carbon tip and a blower. Maybe the brush can be used to clean the mirror. :)
the sensor loupe is very useful, you can see the dust on sensor at ease, most of the time you just need to give a few blow.

the sensor loupe is very useful, you can see the dust on sensor at ease, most of the time you just need to give a few blow.

a much cheaper option is to buy a GP (brand) LED torch light for $9.90 at NTUC or those shops selling GP products.

if u are gng back for army, u can actually use govt $ to buy their new led torch.

yeah, i would always use a blower and blow as hard as i could... however when all else fails then i might just be tempted to use lenspen on the sensor... you are one lucky chap!

Also bear in mind to use the blower only in sterile environment.

I've seen a filter that is attachable to the blower to prevent introducing dust when using the blower, but cannot remember what brand it was.

this is still the best -

Scotch Magic Tape