Lenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enrisa

Nov 30, 2008
Hi Everyone

I own a Canon 400D which comes with a 18-55 lens (the camera/lens came as a kit). I'm looking to buy another lens to play around. I'm still a bit clueless about lens but hope to get some guidance here.

I've been told that one should have a 50mm lens as it is an 'essential' lens to keep. Also I'm thinking of getting a wide angle lens - Is this lens too advance?

Also on the question of purchase - I'll be heading to HK in December. The last time I was there, the wide angle was selling some SGD200 cheaper than the price here in Singapore. But I've also been told that lenses are much cheaper in places like BKK and KL. Can anyone share their views?

Thanks in advance!

Best to look in the Canon section.

there's no lens that is too advanced.
just different focal length and aperture.
try it out if the budget fits u. :)

wide angle is already covered in your kit lens. unless u are talking about 10-22 (ultra wide angle). but UWA are not easy lens to use. u must learn to get really really close to the subject.

but i'd really suggest u play with your kit lens first.

i ve been playing w mine for 2 yrs, and still havent got sick of it yet.

Hi Everyone

I own a Canon 400D which comes with a 18-55 lens (the camera/lens came as a kit). I'm looking to buy another lens to play around. I'm still a bit clueless about lens but hope to get some guidance here.

I've been told that one should have a 50mm lens as it is an 'essential' lens to keep. Also I'm thinking of getting a wide angle lens - Is this lens too advance?

Also on the question of purchase - I'll be heading to HK in December. The last time I was there, the wide angle was selling some SGD200 cheaper than the price here in Singapore. But I've also been told that lenses are much cheaper in places like BKK and KL. Can anyone share their views?

Thanks in advance!

Hi

Like what others have mentioned, the kit lens is a lens for you to discover lots of things. You will eventually learn what you lack or what you need or do not need.

The 50mm is pretty popular in film days and even in APS-C digital cameras probably because of the value for money. It is one small and lightweight lens that gives you a big aperture ( such as the 50mm 1.8 for example ) to work with at a small price.

There is probably no lens too advance. it is a matter of familiarising and exploring new angles for composition.

Ryan

There is no lens too advanced. Some lenses have features like image stabilisation etc. But once these features will help to make the lens easier to use.

You should look for a lens that suits your needs.

Hi Everyone

thanks for the honest feedback! Just to answer some of the question, the wide angle that I was planning to buy was the EF 28mm f1.8 USM. A very noobie question here - if I buy this, does it mean I have a duplicate lens?

As for the 50mm - would it be the EF 50mm f1.8 II?

I like taking pictures of buldings and sky backdrops so initially I thought a wide angle lens should fit me perfectly. But I'm a bit confused now with the huge range of lenses out there. And would Hk be a good place to buy lenses?

Hmm... what lens depends on what kind of shots are you planning to take. 50mm is great for general potraiture. Take great shots with nice bokeh. Reletively fast lens and easy to use. The best thing is that it's reasonably small and cheap. Worth owning IMO, at least the 50mm F1.8. I'm guessing this is the reason why it was mentioned that this is an essential lens.

Hi Everyone

thanks for the honest feedback! Just to answer some of the question, the wide angle that I was planning to buy was the EF 28mm f1.8 USM. A very noobie question here - if I buy this, does it mean I have a duplicate lens?

As for the 50mm - would it be the EF 50mm f1.8 II?

I like taking pictures of buldings and sky backdrops so initially I thought a wide angle lens should fit me perfectly. But I'm a bit confused now with the huge range of lenses out there. And would Hk be a good place to buy lenses?

Hi Enrisa, welcome aboard.

There is a general saying here that goes, if you don't know what you need, then you don't need it at all. =) Unfortunately I strongly believe that applies to you here. Not to critique you but to 'save' you from unnecessary investments.

However, on noting that you're on your way to HK, yes indeed some places in HK have good prices, do your research right.

If you want recommendations on lenses, you must really know what you're going to take... off hand, you haven't given any clues to something specialized. Buildings and skies can vary a lot too, and it is already covered in your kit lens, except ultra wide angles, which I don't quite recommend at this point of time. I shan't drop you any suggestions on that for now.

If you're looking to upgrade your kit lens in terms of sharpness and speed. Do consider buying a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 over at HK if it is cheaper (its about 600+ 1st hand and 500+ 2nd hand. Good budget and well reviewed lens, should serve you well for almost all non-professional uses at this range.

Personally, I like the 55-250mm a lot, $300. If you like telephoto, and need something decent to start, this is the lens to get... unless you want to go for the 70-200mm F4, with a a budget of 700-1000 dollars.

These are some good choices. Do research well and refrain from spending until you are sure... try to buy a lens that will last you at least 5 years at a go (or forever until it crashes). (This is my opinion at least). Excessive upgrading is just not wise.

sorry to hijack this thread..

as we are talking bout lens

are nikkor,sigma,tamron n tokina lens in china cheaper than sg?

is there any shop in shanghai that i can get from?

thanks

cheers
Shawn

2nd hand lenses is another option you can consider.

i never considered 50mm prime lense a must have.

Why don't you tell us what you prefer to shoot and what are your exact interests in photography? There are different lenses for different needs.

A 50mm is not essential, IMHO. For instance, I'd imagine it to be pretty useless for photographers interested in shooting birds. It's not that great for landscapes either. I personally do not own a 50mm lens, despite being into this hobby for a couple of years now.

as we are talking bout lens

are nikkor,sigma,tamron n tokina lens in china cheaper than sg?

is there any shop in shanghai that i can get from?

thanks

cheers
Shawn

well i doubt shanghai would be cheaper. Taiwan and Hong Kong yes. I found this site listing most lens' price in HK. http://www.ygdragon.net/index.php?page=photo/cameraprice.htm

And you think that "Sorry" is enough of an excuse for doing it then anyway? First, check the existing information. Consumer corner has lots of threads about buying outside of SG.

Agree that 50mm is not a must have. But its the most budget and pretty useful for learning. ie. the potential of F1.8 lens, in terms of low light and learning the concepts of background diffusion, aka bokeh. Also the feel of using a prime lens, and its limitations, even the limitations of a F1.8.

All in all, if you have no true use for it, its still a good to own, unless you have better lenses up your belt (ie. 35 F1.4?, 85 F1.2?), its a good prime for an amateur to hold around.

And you can do reverse macro with them! fun stuff.

And you think that "Sorry" is enough of an excuse for doing it then anyway? First, check the existing information. Consumer corner has lots of threads about buying outside of SG.
You don't have to be a police here. At least he has the manners and courtesy to announce that he wishes to ask about something else, but it has some relevance anyway.

If someone has to be upset over the 'hijacking', that person would be the TS, not you anyway.

Agree that 50mm is not a must have. But its the most budget and pretty useful for learning. ie. the potential of F1.8 lens, in terms of low light and learning the concepts of background diffusion, aka bokeh. Also the feel of using a prime lens, and its limitations, even the limitations of a F1.8.

All in all, if you have no true use for it, its still a good to own, unless you have better lenses up your belt (ie. 35 F1.4?, 85 F1.2?), its a good prime for an amateur to hold around.

And you can do reverse macro with them! fun stuff.
50 f1.8 is not an essential lens, if you don't know what to do with it.

But it is really a cheap fast lens. It can be your first step to understanding the usefulness of fast lenses, or play around with bokeh. It's worth considering to get one.

You don't have to be a police here. At least he has the manners and courtesy to announce that he wishes to ask about something else, but it has some relevance anyway.
If someone has to be upset over the 'hijacking', that person would be the TS, not you anyway.

Please read basic guidelines about posting on message boards, email lists and other comparable media. There is something called Netiquette. Secondly, there are the guidelines of this forum telling everybody to search first before posting the same question again and again. Every member of this board has the right (and should never hesitate about it) to remind others on the guidelines and Netiquette. It is not limited to Admins, Mods or the TS. Enough, we are OT.

Please read basic guidelines about posting on message boards, email lists and other comparable media. There is something called Netiquette. Secondly, there are the guidelines of this forum telling everybody to search first before posting the same question again and again. Every member of this board has the right (and should never hesitate about it) to remind others on the guidelines and Netiquette. It is not limited to Admins, Mods or the TS. Enough, we are OT.

dude sorry if offended u.. but seriously as u can see... i'm new to this thread.. so even when i read up n use the tools that are given such as the ones u had mention, i'm still lost..

since the subject is talking bout lens i just asked as well..

further more u were saying in the first post consumer section i cant find nuts on buying lens in china...

cheers
shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.