lenses you used when newbie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelmetBox

Sep 9, 2003
Hi all, was advised not to be too specific with equipment so decided to post and ask all users:

What wide lenses did you all start out with as a newbie on a DSLR? (my wide here refers to below 70mm)

Urm, heck, just let me know all the equipment you start out with! haha :D

Thanks!

a Pentax SMC-A 28-80 f3.5 and a 50mm f1.2.

still have both as well as the camera, but both lenses in need of some serious cleaning. :embrass:

canon EF 28-200

EF-S 18-55 ;p only available for 300D. but if you saw away the protruding part at the back, you could use it on a 10D (a Korean did it successfully).

The other I have is the Tamron 28-200 XR.

I'm also interested...what cheap cheap wide wide lens is available.. pic quality is non issue, but size is.

First is Zenit helios 44-2 55mm F1.8 mechanical lens and still using this beautiful lens.

Minolta 50mm f1.7 1st edition...

Then 70-210mm f4 one and only edition

Then 24-50mm f4 one and only edition...

Fujinon EBC 55mm f1.8

Seriously Helmetbox, you are not going to learn anything out of this by asking such a general question. If you shoot more with your camera, you will naturally learn what focal lengths you are missing most.

What we started out with, what we ended up using and what we prefer to use bears little relevance to what is appropriate for your personal use.

Nikon 55mm f2.8 Micro. I should explain, i found this lens at the rubbish dump behind CP. Got it cleaned up at TCW and bought my first cam to use with it at TCW.

Zerstorer said:
Seriously Helmetbox, you are not going to learn anything out of this by asking such a general question. If you shoot more with your camera, you will naturally learn what focal lengths you are missing most.

What we started out with, what we ended up using and what we prefer to use bears little relevance to what is appropriate for your personal use.

Hehe... thanks for the advice, I already got the advice and answer in another thread, and then was told not to be too specific, so be general and see which are the more popular lenses people started out with. Interesting results.

szekiat said:
Nikon 55mm f2.8 Micro. I should explain, i found this lens at the rubbish dump behind CP. Got it cleaned up at TCW and bought my first cam to use with it at TCW.

#@%!$#^%!@#%! Sheesh! What were you doing there in the first place? :bsmilie: Any plans to bring me there again? Hope can find one too....... hehe.......

It started your love for photography? Just curious....... Very interesting

28-105mm with EOS 30.

Actually it really doesn't matter what lens you start with. Any one will do. You can just go for a simple prime like 50mm/f1.8 which costs only ~ $130. And you work your shots around the lens. Do you think anyone can tell what lens you use just by looking at your shots? Maybe some pros can or unless there is distortion like a UW or fisheye, it's usually difficult to tell. I started shooting with my 28-105mm in 2000 and only bought more lenses this year.

I am still a newbie (at least I call myself snapshooter and not photographer)

Used to use 35-70 f/3.3-4.5 with my old F601.

When went digital, I got 28-80mm G. I found out that being equivalent to 42mm wide is simply not wide enough. I got Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 last week, and found that being equivalent to 36mm is a lot wider. However, now it does not have enough "reaching power". I should have gone for 24-135 or something like that. I still have my 28-80G though.

Status
Not open for further replies.