Lenses, tripod setup for backpacker travelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

narutiment

Nov 7, 2006
What are the lenses that i might consider getting do short trips to perth and malaysia for backpacking trips? I like to shoot landscape and candids.

I have got a tamron 17-50 and 50mm f1.8. I dont mind selling to change to other lenses. Any good telephoto zoom to recommend? Budget wise between 600 to 1k.

I have thought of getting a 55-250is to cover the tele range. Is it a good idea?

Thanks in advance!

i think a UWA would better suit your style can check that out
Tele zooms are pretty useful for landscapes and candids IMHO.

Try any of the 70-200s they are all very good and the cheaper f4 versions are extremely sharp and have good IQ...Provided it doesn't get too dark and fast movement needs to be captured

What are the lenses that i might consider getting do short trips to perth and malaysia for backpacking trips? I like to shoot landscape and candids.

I have got a tamron 17-50 and 50mm f1.8. I dont mind selling to change to other lenses. Any good telephoto zoom to recommend? Budget wise between 600 to 1k.

I have thought of getting a 55-250is to cover the tele range. Is it a good idea?

Thanks in advance!

I would say your current set up is just nice
Are you using 500D / 40D? The 17-50 is good to coupled with 55-250.
So, my suggestion, go get a 55-250, and bring only 17-50 + 55-250, just nice for trip.
Unless you really really don't like 2 lenses, then get a 18-200. But this is not my personal preference...

ye, 55-250IS is a good idea for tele

i had chance to used 55-250is, it's good tele with the cheap price

Thanks in advance!

What about your tripod set up? And your backpack set up?
How are you combining these two for your Australia and Malaysia trips?

ye, 55-250IS is a good idea for tele

i had chance to used 55-250is, it's good tele with the cheap price

forget 55-250 IS, go or 70-300mm IS USM which cost within ur budget of 1k. A better level of lens for I have both to verify. not to say the former is bad but the latter is excellent. can read many reviews on the latter of its IQ. The latter is EF which can be used should u upgrade to a full frame body while the EFS cannot. The latter is metal mount and longer reach at the zoom end

Last edited:

you shoot landscape and candids.

i say, you don't even need that money you budgeting, just get a tamron 70-300 or sigma 70-300, these are lenses that cost less than $300 and are sharp up to 200mm.

after that, you can even sell if you don't like. i have used the tamron 70-300 for quite a while now, it is superb at f/6.7 and above, and not even that shabby at f/4.. just do not go beyond 200mm if you want reasonable sharpness.

you shoot landscape and candids.

i say, you don't even need that money you budgeting, just get a tamron 70-300 or sigma 70-300, these are lenses that cost less than $300 and are sharp up to 200mm.

after that, you can even sell if you don't like. i have used the tamron 70-300 for quite a while now, it is superb at f/6.7 and above, and not even that shabby at f/4.. just do not go beyond 200mm if you want reasonable sharpness.

Canon ef 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS USM has the best optics of the above but the price is closer to 1k. TS - if IQ is your top priority, consider the Canon lens
Lots of good reviews for the Canon lens and it has been described as a hidden "L" quality lens. I owe it too and attests to the IQ.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.