Lenses to get..

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdEvA

Sep 1, 2006
etanphotography.com
Hey guys, I'm currently using Kits Lens on my 400D for street photography and slight landscape, and a sigma 70-300mm macro for telephoto and flower shots..

Looking to get a Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM to replace my Kit lens for my street photography and slight landscape, is it advisable? or i should just stick to my kit lens?

Also comparing using my sigma for flowers to a tamron 90mm macro for flowers, the tamron will be able to blur out the background better due to it's nearer focus and larger aperture, am i right to say that? Will a closeup filter improve the situation for my sigma?

Thanks..

although not a canon user. suggest you keep your kit lens and save for a L lens... You will get an immediate jump in terms of quality in every aspect (colour, contrast and sharpness).

My 2 cents

hmm anyone?

I would say the 28-105mm is a good upgrade. it's very good value for money. If you need proof, pm me. I'll drop you some links to show you how good this lens is. :)

Instead of replacing, I suggest you make an addition instead.

It'll be a all-rounded line-up this way:

18-55: Wide
28-105: Intermediate
70-300: Telephoto

Hope this helps.

The Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC MACRO is a good lens to consider, if u r willing to spend a bit more. Wide enough and good macro capabilities. Resolution is good.

Yr 70-300mm will cover the rest of the range.

Just my views.

Cheers!

Although the 18-55 kit lens can give decent pictures in the right hands, if you want to take decent portraits etc, can consider getting the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 or the New Sigma 18-50 f2.8 Macro.

Both are very sharp lenses and have very good image quality.

If you have more money, can consider the Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS.

F2.8 is very useful. Together with IS, you will be able to have more keeper shots.

If you are serious about macro, you should save money and go for a true macro lens. The Tamron 90mm Macro is quite recommended

although not a canon user. suggest you keep your kit lens and save for a L lens... You will get an immediate jump in terms of quality in every aspect (colour, contrast and sharpness).

My 2 cents

Hmm L lens would be way off my budget..

Although the 18-55 kit lens can give decent pictures in the right hands, if you want to take decent portraits etc, can consider getting the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 or the New Sigma 18-50 f2.8 Macro.

Both are very sharp lenses and have very good image quality.

If you have more money, can consider the Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS.

F2.8 is very useful. Together with IS, you will be able to have more keeper shots.

If you are serious about macro, you should save money and go for a true macro lens. The Tamron 90mm Macro is quite recommended

hmm I mainly needed a lens to cover the 55-70mm range which i do not have, when walking around..

Thanks for all the suggestions, I would love to get a tamron90mm for my flowers shot but it's currently not in my budget and the macro at 200-300mm from my sigma seems quite fine to me at the moment.. The sigma 17-70mm seems like a good choice, but it's kinda out of my budget too..

Currently I have a budget of around $250 + the sales $$ from my kit lens..
Might consider keeping the kit lens like what mysum mentioned to cover wide angles..

Any idea how much will the sigma 17-70mm be selling in the 2nd hand market?
Besides the Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM, how about Canon EF 35-135mm 1:4-5.6 USM, any comments on this lens over the 28-105?
and also whats the difference between a MK I and MK II for the Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM

Thanks..

Any idea how much will the sigma 17-70mm be selling in the 2nd hand market?

Saw one or two selling about $450-$500 with few mths warrenty left. But don seem to see anyone selling this lens in the BnS section these days.

Saw one or two selling about $450-$500 with few mths warrenty left. But don seem to see anyone selling this lens in the BnS section these days.

In addition, I was looking for this lens one month ago. Can't find in BnS, so decided to buy new. Ask for quotes and only 2 stores have got stocks (Canon mount mostly no stock) and not many left. I then wondered is this lens really that hot. :)

Why don't you consider getting the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 instead? It'll cover your gaps, gives you a constant f/2.8 and the picture quality is excellent. Keep you kit lens for those wide angle shots.

hmm checked the price guide and couldn't find this lens..
how much is it retailing?

Tamron 28-75 is excellent :thumbsup:
2nd hand is about $400-$500.

With your budget of $250, I will say the 28-105 is a good choice.

My advise is to go for a 2nd hand lens, you will be able to afford better lens and in future if you wanna upgrade, you don't lugi as much

Maybe u can consider the 28-135mm IS USM as well? For me, its a relatively gd walkabt lens.
I use my 400D w this lens on it almost 95% of the time, not so ideal for landscape shots tho, but thats when i'll still use the kit lens. ;)

Oppss..just realise that you hv a budget of $250.
Hmm...in that case the tamron or the canon 28-105 might do the trick for u.;)

Why not just continue to use the kit lens and save up for a better lens? I think crops of pics taken with the kit lens won't do too badly

I wouldn't recommand the sigma 70-300. It's not sharp (maybe I got a non sharp copy XD..) and the focusing is really slow. I highly recommand the 17-50 f/2.8 tamron. Working nicely for me. And the f/2.8 is great esp in low light situations and when shallow DOF is needed. This is something your nice old kit lens can't do. If you have money. Get L lens maybe. Or a 70-200mm f/2.8 Sigma is cool too. However I still find the nikon's 18-200 best for a walkabout lens/holiday lens. Get a converter if you want. :cool: Have fun shooting.

Hey guys, I'm currently using Kits Lens on my 400D for street photography and slight landscape, and a sigma 70-300mm macro for telephoto and flower shots..

Looking to get a Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM to replace my Kit lens for my street photography and slight landscape, is it advisable? or i should just stick to my kit lens?

Also comparing using my sigma for flowers to a tamron 90mm macro for flowers, the tamron will be able to blur out the background better due to it's nearer focus and larger aperture, am i right to say that? Will a closeup filter improve the situation for my sigma?

Thanks..

i using 400D too... i also have the kit lens and the 28-105mm , for me i feel that this 28-105 is not wide enough or long enough , 70% of my shot are taken from 18mm to 24mm, i take a lot of cityscape and macro(macro lens) .. only about 3% of my shot taken using this lens.. my suggestion is to stick to this lens or upgarde to a better one .. example tarmon 17-50 or 17-40L ...

18-55 is good enough for street shot for 1.6 crop..

Status
Not open for further replies.