Lenses to bring for Hong Kong Short Trip

sgboy83

Sep 21, 2008
Going to HK for about 5 days. Am wondering should I bring my old 19-105mm or newly acquired 24-70mm lens. 24-70 is good but heavy and bcoz need to travel the whole day, it would be really tiring for 5 days...

Unless it's a must-bring along lens, I would not bring my 24-70... what do you guys suggest?

I will just bring a 35mm f2 and 50mm f1.4 prime lens, One for indoor and the other for outdoor shooting. This is mine usual combination for vacation shooting.
Hong Kong is a crowded city and the buildings are close together, personally I dun think there is a need for the 24-70mm:D

The 18-105mm is more than adequate imo, especially since this is just a holiday trip. Used a 18-55mm or a 18-200mm in my trips there & these can capture anything worth photographing. Hardly used the longer tele end. If you do a lot of walking or even climbing (HK's many mountains), you will definitely appreciate the lighter weight :) You may also need a tripod for those night shots of the city, harbor skyline/laser show if this is in your itinerary. Have a good trip!

Last edited:
18-105 will do. Maybe bring another 35/1.8 for low light.

Going to HK for about 5 days. Am wondering should I bring my old 19-105mm or newly acquired 24-70mm lens. 24-70 is good but heavy and bcoz need to travel the whole day, it would be really tiring for 5 days...

Unless it's a must-bring along lens, I would not bring my 24-70... what do you guys suggest?

18-105 is good enough. can buy there if you realise you need other lens :bsmilie:

Not too heavy 18-200mm and 50mm f1.4 you can shoot everything. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your advice. I shall bring along my 18-105mm and 50mm f1.8

I have a 50mm f1.8... I am thinking of getting a 35mm, but is it worthwhile since I have a 35mm, does it make a difference?

Any good shops to recommend in HK?

TS, are u using a DX body?? may i know why did you purchase the 24-70? For yr HK trip yr 18-105mm +35mm F1.8 is enough..;)

Remember to bring a wide lens and tripod if you are going to the Peak to shoot the night scape :)

I have a 50mm f1.8... I am thinking of getting a 35mm, but is it worthwhile since I have a 35mm, does it make a difference?

Any good shops to recommend in HK?

Fortress, Boardway, Tin Cheung and Wing Sing are all good shops and dun forget to visit Apliu street for cheap accessories.
Some of the items that I have purchased from HK are prime lens, flash diffusers and a few Leica style lens hood, great value shopping in HK!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

BTW if you are using DX camera, a 50mm maybe too much.

Last edited:
Fortress, Boardway, Tin Cheung and Wing Sing are all good shops and dun forget to visit Apliu street for cheap accessories.
Some of the items that I have purchased from HK are prime lens, flash diffusers and a few Leica style lens hood, great value shopping in HK!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

BTW if you are using DX camera, a 50mm maybe too much.

I'm using a D90 but plan to get a D700 by this year.

Will there be communication difficulties as I do not speak cantonese..

I'm using a D90 but plan to get a D700 by this year.

Will there be communication difficulties as I do not speak cantonese..
Speak Chinese then

just returned from HK last week.

1) i used my 28-75mm tamron (very light compared to yours) on my D700 (adds back the weight here... haha), so its about 18-50mm on your D90. never missed a shot.

2) check the weather forecast, its 13-17 degrees when i was there, colder when the wind blows hard! manage to picked up some cheap winter wears for future trips

3) if the weather is about the same, forget about peak and harbor view, its so damn foggy!

4) HK is a shopping paradise for both fashion and camera stuff!

5) speak chinese if possible, not english. i keep hearing "wheel" when they actually said "view"...

The question should be "what lens to bring back from Hong Kong?"
Whenever i go hk, i will come back with more lens....

I like this.. haha..

For a single lens , light weight solution i second the 18-105 too.

The question should be "what lens to bring back from Hong Kong?"
Whenever i go hk, i will come back with more lens....

;p +2
( but the last 3 visits i only came back with one accessory lens pouch )

Ryan

Next time buy 16-85 and bring it. Most people won't use 24-70 for holidays after buying anyway. A waste of money.

Last edited:
I was in a similar situation, for a short trip to Tokyo. I ended up bringing 24-120 f4 and 50 f1.4D. Loved the 50 f1.4D when I ended up using that solely for the last 2 days.