Lenses hold value better than bodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyaw

Apr 2, 2002
Visit site
Why is it that lenses seem to hold their value better than camera bodies? Is because of digital technology where advances happen faster unlike for film which is more mature? Or does it apply to film bodies as well?

Lense can be reused on newer bodies and good lens would not be replaced as fast as bodies by manufacturer. Many photographers still look for old reliable lens.

Money holds value better than Lens :bsmilie:

Annual depreciation rate would be like 2%?

Gold is still the winner. :D

jsbn said:
Annual depreciation rate would be like 2%?

Gold is still the winner. :D
Working is the best ;p . You've got salary :bsmilie: .

Regards,
Arto.

Lens have no MP count.

because u need more lenses than bodies and because bodies are obseleted faster by newer models. for lenses that are replaced fast (e.g. 70-200/f2.8 or 80-200/f2.8), the value dropped fast too.

Hey, if youi keep it for say 20 to 30 yrs, it will be and antique and its value will be increased.:devil:

I think lens technology don't improve as fast as camera body technology.:think:
Imaging some new generation ultra bright, better quality lens come out once in a while? All the lens price will drop very fast.

i tink it applies to certain lenses, not all.... :)

zcf said:
I think lens technology don't improve as fast as camera body technology.:think:
Imaging some new generation ultra bright, better quality lens come out once in a while? All the lens price will drop very fast.

That's because lens are already matured, I guess, reached a point where developments comes only in small steps. DIGITAL bodies, on the other hand, are still going through puberty :sweat: so a top-of-the-line body would probably be superceeded in few short years (or months) and that explains why the depreciation in value.

lenses with lots of technology inside (e.g. VR/OS/IS) would lose value faster than plain jane lens

as there are no electronics to fail. and technology will always change.

ortega said:
lenses with lots of technology inside (e.g. VR/OS/IS) would lose value faster than plain jane lens

as there are no electronics to fail. and technology will always change.

Some of such lenses with more gizmos have been out for some time. Has anyone experienced a sharper resale price drop for such compared to their more traditional counterparts?

But as I see it, lenses are still in the course of development, albeit not as fast as digital bodies.

We see AF motor being added to more and more lenses, plus the VR/IS/OS added. The next thing would be the DX format or the APS-C format replacing the 35mm format, which are lighter, smaller and cheaper as well. More zoom lenses with longer zoom range than before. So, today's darling like the 70-200VR darling might fast become tomorrows dinasaur, as the brand new DX size lens is just as good, but like half the weight and 2/3 the size. Unless you have a big fat bicep, and love carrying around huge phallic symbol :bigeyes: , you would love the DX size lenses.

We might see VR/IS implemented on the body of Canon and Nikon - and that would have a huge impact on the future of many lenses...... :confused: :bsmilie:

Well, there will still be the diehard nostalgic, retro and classic lover who would play with MF chrome plated primes and MF film bodies..... collectible items.....

just ask NSC how much it costs to repair one of these hi-tech babies
electronics do give out and need to be replaced.

just as flash tubes have a life span, so do electronics
so tens years down the line would you dare to pay top dollar for one?

i guess lens and camera makers like nikon intended their lens to be use even with newer bodies that might be produce next time.

in any case, a great lens will remain a great lens...

classic example i saw recently....
new grey canon 70-200mm F/2.8L can get for about $1905.

there was a 10 year old model, excellent condition for sale, second hand, 1740....

recently 2 also got sold on B&S for about that price..

plus if its a good optic, and line gets discontinued... price can go up due to rarity some more..

jdredd said:
plus if its a good optic, and line gets discontinued... price can go up due to rarity some more..
Tell me about it... Noct Nikkor is the best example of this. >US$2k on Ebay :bigeyes: :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.