Lenses for the EOS 50D

Status
Not open for further replies.

c3nc2

Aug 19, 2009
I currently have the EOS50D body and EF-S 18-200mm lens.

What should I get in my next line-up of lenses?

I am considering the Canon EF-S 18-55 IS and Canon EF 75-300 III USM.

Is this advisable?

Is this advisable?

firstly, have u thought of what u like to shoot?

The 18-200mm have a great range for you to try the kind of shots you want to take. I would suggest you try out the 18-200mm first and see if you want a lens UWA,for portrait or zoom.

What is it that you like to shoot? Until you yourself know, there's nothing anyone can really advise you on.

In my humble opinion do not get Canon EF 75-300mm III USM. This lens have only a slightly greater reach than the EF-S 55-250mm IS. However the 55-250mm has the invaluable IS and yields better image quality than the Ef 75-300mm III USM. The EF-S 55-250mm IS is good enough to be my favourite budget (cheap) Zoo and Birding Lens.

The 18-55 mm kit lens should be sufficient enough for most of you daily shooting needs. If you want the sharpest images from it, do not put your aperture to F/8.0. Put it at 7.1 instead to avoid diffraction issues.

If you want portraiture, my recommendation is definitely the EF 50 mm F/1.8 II. Great value and great performance. There is no canon lens like this one. Simply invaluable.

Cheers

mahathir

you have a good range there with your 18-200.

why not consider a prime?

or super-tele, like the 100-400?

maybe tell us your budget and what you intend to do with the lens,

we can help you further. :)

Personally I have not heard of people buying 18-55mm to "replace" the 18-200mm lens. It is like taking a step back ( unless the TS want a lighter gear).

TS, your 18-200 is good enough. Do you need fast lens? and why?

I have the same set up as you.

I've found the 18-200 to be very versatile and adequate for day to day use. What I found useful was adding a 30mm f1.4 prime which is an incredible lens.

I have the same set up as you.

I've found the 18-200 to be very versatile and adequate for day to day use. What I found useful was adding a 30mm f1.4 prime which is an incredible lens.

30mm Sigma prime? I luv the Canon 35mm f1/4

To TS: advice on what you're shooting else you're better off geting the 400mm Prime :thumbsup: :bsmilie:

Is this advisable?

drop the idea of gettin 75-300, get a 50mm first..

then SSS till u sian...then u will noe simi lens to buy liao....:devil:

Is this advisable?

It is advisable to think thoroughly about your current shooting style and your gear: does your gear limits you in a certain way? Does your shooting style need a different lens? Do you need the range between 200 and 300mm? Buy equipment according your needs and in case you cannot tolerate / overcome the limitations of current lenses. There is no "line up to climb up"; getting L lenses is not the purpose of having a camera (ok, some guys think otherwise, be it). If you can't point out any significant shortfall in your current lens then stop drooling about lenses, use the money for some photo trips :)
Regarding the 2 lenses mentioned: compare the prices here and you'll see that both lenses are among the cheapest lenses in the line up, together they are cheaper than your 18-200. There is a reason for this, Canon is not a charity organization.

Not sure what kind of photos you like to shoot.

However, with the working range of 18~200, you have basically covered the generic distances that one would use on a day to day basis.

If you tend to take

1) Low Light/ potraiture: And have a budget, do consider the 50mm f1.8 (a good upgrade)
2) Macro: Canon 100mm f2.8
3) Better lenses / bigger budgets: consider those "L" lenses that give constant aperture.

No point getting the kits lens and the 75~300 since you would have duplicated almost the same range with a comparative iq lens.

Just my take.

hmm...EF S 18-200mm, I think it's multipurpose lens. It's a very gd for lazy man like me. ha...dun need to keep changing your lens. But since u are picky with quality, u have to get prime or L-lens. And, it u intend to upgrade your body to pro, u can't use EF-S lens.

Nothing much we can comment abt it, it;s all depends on your own needs = )

Not sure what kind of photos you like to shoot.

However, with the working range of 18~200, you have basically covered the generic distances that one would use on a day to day basis.

If you tend to take

1) Low Light/ potraiture: And have a budget, do consider the 50mm f1.8 (a good upgrade)
2) Macro: Canon 100mm f2.8
3) Better lenses / bigger budgets: consider those "L" lenses that give constant aperture.

No point getting the kits lens and the 75~300 since you would have duplicated almost the same range with a comparative iq lens.

Just my take.

Totally agree with this...;)

Getting a 18-55IS + 75-300 (non IS) just splitting your 18-200IS into two....and the problem is....even worse than what you are having now...

can consider 50mm prime, or 90-100mm macro (Canon or Tamron), Raynox CMA2000A (cheaper alternative for macro), or get some accessories like flash or battery grip will be more useful...

Just what i think...:bsmilie::bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.