Lenses for Italy

wenbin0215

Dec 26, 2008
Lakeside
I am traveling to Italy in early May this year, and I will like to seek some opinions from you guys who have been there. Itinerary includes Rome, Pompeii, Amalfi Coast, Florence, Venice and Milan.

What lens do you use the most in Italy? Wide angle, mid zoom or tele lens and etc?

Or do you regret leaving any lens behind which you did not bring along?

Experience/feedback sharing will be very much appreciated. Thank you!

I used 24-70mm f2.8 and it's good enough for both pfamily and scenery shots. If I had 14-24mm f2.8 as additional len, it would be perfect.

I used 24-70mm f2.8 and it's good enough for both pfamily and scenery shots. If I had 14-24mm f2.8 as additional len, it would be perfect.

17-35 for me, the LEE filters would be easier to carry compared to the 150mm LEE system for 14-24, but YMMV.

I assume you will take a lot of scenery photos as that's the main point of bringing a camera with you during trip, so wide angle it is! Get a normal lens (30-50mm) for some street/candid/portrait photo. I would suggest 1 zoom (covers around 10-24) + 1 prime (24/35/50?), depends on your shooting style.

How about a AF-S 18-35mm zoom & a AF-S 50mm f1.8 prime lenses?
If u have the space (in your camera bag) & energy, add in a AF-S 85mm f1.8 prime lens.
All are FX lenses.

My Sixth European trip in late Jun 15, well be going from Zurich (Switzerland)
, Provence (France), Venice (Italy), Munich (Gemany) about 20 Days.
Prepared to carry:
Zeiss 15mm f2.8 (Interior & landscape)
Nikon 16-35mm f4 (landscape)
Nikon 24-120mm f4 (landscape & feature)
Nikon PCE 24mm f3.5 (cityscape & building)
Nikon D810

Can i guess u only had one 24-70 throughout ur trip back then?

17-35 for me, the LEE filters would be easier to carry compared to the 150mm LEE system for 14-24, but YMMV.

Ya, u r right at least u can still screw on ur filters for 17-35.. And i still do not have the 150mm LEE system for my 14-24.. :(

I assume you will take a lot of scenery photos as that's the main point of bringing a camera with you during trip, so wide angle it is! Get a normal lens (30-50mm) for some street/candid/portrait photo. I would suggest 1 zoom (covers around 10-24) + 1 prime (24/35/50?), depends on your shooting style.

Sceneries are a must take over there and i guess i will include 14-24 definitely.. Contemplating to leave the heavier 24-70 for either a 50 or 85 for all other shots (street and portraits)..

How about a AF-S 18-35mm zoom & a AF-S 50mm f1.8 prime lenses? If u have the space (in your camera bag) & energy, add in a AF-S 85mm f1.8 prime lens. All are FX lenses.

Just about the combi which i am thinking now.. Thank u!

I was in Italy some years ago, and I swore by my ultra-wide angle lens back then. If i were going there today, I'd have:

Nikon AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8
Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.4

These would be the equivalent to my DX gear that I used back then.

I was in Italy some years ago, and I swore by my ultra-wide angle lens back then. If i were going there today, I'd have: Nikon AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8 Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.4 These would be the equivalent to my DX gear that I used back then.

One body and 2 lenses should be just right.. Any pics from Italy by UWA that u like to share pls?

I have a trip last August in Vatican, Pisa, Florence, Pompeii, Amalfi Coast and Venice. I bring my ever reliable 24-70 lens and external flash.

I have a trip last August in Vatican, Pisa, Florence, Pompeii, Amalfi Coast and Venice. I bring my ever reliable 24-70 lens and external flash.

Just one lens throughout all these places?

Yup! In my photography point of view, if you bring prime lens it is indeed much better and lighter compared to a 24-70 glass, but you are out there most likely for the scenic view and not for portrait shots. Unless you have a wide eye prime lens, then it is another story.

Yup! In my photography point of view, if you bring prime lens it is indeed much better and lighter compared to a 24-70 glass, but you are out there most likely for the scenic view and not for portrait shots. Unless you have a wide eye prime lens, then it is another story.

I've brought 28mm 50mm and 85mm primes for holidays before with much joy in shooting..bag is still lighter than having f2.8 zooms..i can prolly leave out the 50mm if I want to but it's so light anyway..it all comes down to the shooter and how you compose the shot..and also know where and what you gonna shoot

Caveat is I'm on FX..on DX different story :)

Yeah I agree with you, I was just thinking of not changing lens for the trip.

Yeah I agree with you, I was just thinking of not changing lens for the trip.

Of cos if changing lens is a concern then I suppose bringing zoom lens may work out better for you..but if you are going to bring UWA zoom and another normal zoom then same story anyway

It used to be when I was on DX format..i brought 17-50mm f2.8 and 11-16mm f2.8 lenses when I went for long overseas holidays..looking back at my photos I was almost always at the 17-20mm range even when taking landscape..seldom does the 11-16mm come up because I used to stitch pano together..thus I switch to primes..

Different strokes for different folks..to me weight is utmost importance..carrying nearly 3kg of gear plus water bottle and other what not and walking for a full day..shoulder and neck cannot take it..2 weeks in Spain with zoom lenses was a killer!

I would say if wanna bring zoom lenses then ditch the f2.8s..those F4 zooms work as well..that's my advice