lenses for hair portrait shooting

averynkh

Apr 9, 2007
singapore
hi, as this is my first time for a hair portrait shooting project at studio, i need you guys' suggestion. i owned nikon d7k & 50mm f1.8 (i forgot is 2.2 or 1.8), i came across that people is suggesting to use 24mm for this case at F8, then i searched there are 24mm f1.4 and f2.8, may need to rent, among these lens which one is most appropriate for my shooting as in sharpness wise too or other settings & equipments that u can suggest? thanks for help!!!

hi, as this is my first time for a hair portrait shooting project at studio, i need you guys' suggestion. i owned nikon d7k & 50mm f1.8 (i forgot is 2.2 or 1.8), i came across that people is suggesting to use 24mm for this case at F8, then i searched there are 24mm f1.4 and f2.8, may need to rent, among these lens which one is most appropriate for my shooting as in sharpness wise too or other settings & equipments that u can suggest? thanks for help!!!

What makes you think you will need a 24mm lens on a dx body for this hair portrait in a studio? Are you shooting a group of people or just individuals headshot?

Last edited:
Fiy, you current gears is more than enough. What you need is the know how. Chech out some youtude tutorials for studio head how to.

Fiy, you current gears is more than enough. What you need is the know how. Chech out some youtude tutorials for studio head how to.

hi, thanks for help, because i did some research online and people was suggested that lens lol

i also wish to save cost, so unsure if my own 50mm is fine v hair portrait, it is just one "head" anyway, not group, alright, i will listen to you then and using my own 50mm

hi, thanks for help, because i did some research online and people was suggested that lens lol

i also wish to save cost, so unsure if my own 50mm is fine v hair portrait, it is just one "head" anyway, not group, alright, i will listen to you then and using my own 50mm
Even the kit lens is more than adequate. You don't need special lens to shoot in a studio. Skills and know how make a very bigger difference than using a better lens.
Don't just take my words for it, just go search in youtube for studio head shot tutorials yourself.

Last edited:
50mm is fine. Kit lens also fine. Some of our studio work is shot with kit lens...

your 50mm lens is fine. don't shoot wide open and make sure you have sufficient DOF to capture the details of the hair.
use a tripod if necessary.

Pick up an old 105/2.5 AIS (they're dirty cheap) and call us in the morning...that lens is legendary for a reason. :)

Last edited:
Like what all the bros mentioned you basically can just use your 50mm to shoot only thing
is you need to choose your distance between subject. Sharing an example am using a 24-85mm
but zoomed in for that tight head/shoulder shot @ 53mm

17817538646_90a8c62c9a_z_d.jpg

As others have mentioned, just about any lens should suffice (not including extremes).
I think your choice largely depends on your working distance. If you're talking a make-shift with very little room them maybe the slightly wider lenses might work better but be aware of perspective distortions when you get close with a wide lens.
If you're in a studio with plenty of room, one of the classic portrait focal length lenses would be ideal. It gives you a nice working distance and flattering perspective.
So a 50mm on DX would be around 75mm - pretty good IMO.

i think the rest have said enough with regards to the lens choices.
You should be considering the working space/distance you have from the subject to help decide what is the best choice of lenses.

Also, I think you should concentrate on the lighting portion. How you wish to light the subject and what kind of look you wish to achieve. A trained eye can probably tell how the subject is lit (direction, type of lights etc.) but not often which lens model you used.

i think the rest have said enough with regards to the lens choices.
You should be considering the working space/distance you have from the subject to help decide what is the best choice of lenses.

Also, I think you should concentrate on the lighting portion. How you wish to light the subject and what kind of look you wish to achieve. A trained eye can probably tell how the subject is lit (direction, type of lights etc.) but not often which lens model you used.

It's all about adaptability really...working space/distance from subject ableit lens and lighting. My 1st image shot in studio and my following sample shot on location in hair salon with bounced flash :

15299065050_4bea1868a4_z_d.jpg