Lense for Sport Photography.

jcl06

Jun 14, 2011
My first post here in ClubSnap... i'm very new to photography and i like to take pictures like moving subjects, and some landscape portrait and night landscape...anyone can suggest which lense should i buy...

Use your kit lens. The only thing that you are missing is skill, which comes with practice.

And why are you asking for a lens (note the spelling) for sport photography, when your actual uses are "take pictures like moving subjects, and some landscape portrait and night landscape"??

FYI:

Take pictures like moving subjects: Learn about shutter speed and panning. Focal length will depend on distance to subject, we're not psychic to know what you call a "moving subject".

and some landscape: What's wrong with your kit lens?

portrait: What's wrong with your kit lens?

and night landscape: Tripod. And: What's wrong with your kit lens?

First thing first, welcome to Clubsnap.

Secondly, I assume you have a kit lens that you got with your dSLR. Go read up and practice often, because by doing that, you would know what lens to buy.

You can go out and buy all the sports, landscape, portrait, etc, lenses, but if you don't have the theory grasped properly, you are just wasting your money.

All the best on your journey.

My first post here in ClubSnap...

It is NOT. It's your third. You posted in the Formula Drift and in the Photography notes section (I'm guessing you didn't read them properly, else you would not be asking what you just asked). ;)

1st u need to let us know what camera body you are using before we can make suggestions

Last edited:
Read up about the various lenses and their effects on perspective and field of view. There is no 'sports lens' or 'wedding lens' or whatever. There might be lenses more commonly used for certain occasions - but that does not mean other lenses are unsuitable or wrong. Use what brings the results that you want - depending on the conditions you find.
For the time bing use your kit lens and learn from there. Many people take great pictures of many different kinds with kit lenses, so it can't be the wrong lens, right? :)

well if you want a jack of all trades for sports and have a body with good iso performance, the Sigma 50-500mm is pretty good for what it costs.

just take note, lenses these size are not for those with weak hands or those with faint hearts.

Last edited:
well if you want a jack of all trades for sports and have a body with good iso performance, the Sigma 50-500mm is pretty good for what it costs.

just take note, lenses these size are not for those with weak hands or those with faint hearts.

or the faint of wallet =X

sport is a very very diverse field. do you mean indoor matches, track and field, tennis, soccer? each of them are quite different and might have different requirements. if you just want a long lens, the tamron 70-300 VC is turning out to be quite the performer.

and its lens. not lense!