Lens

Danger636261

Oct 22, 2009
Singapore
:cool: Hi all , need some advice . i need to buy wide angle lens this lens EF17-40mm f/4L USM canon it is ok for landscape photo :sweat:

Last edited:
Is there such a lens ??? :bigeyes:

Questions for TS -
for crop camera or FF ??
What other equipment does TS have at the moment ??
What other use is TS going to use it for ???
Any Budget ???

Happy shopping !!! ;)

Short answer, yes.

For landscape photo is a piece of sharp and good lens, BUT the f/4 is too slow for the indoor shooting, need to increase the ISO and accept the noise from the high ISO setting.

Cheers!

Your kit lens has a wide angle of 18mm. You would only gain 1mm. Might as well invest in an different UWA.

If you're using FF, yes 17mm is ultra wide angle
If you're using crop, 17mm is still not that wide IMO

If you're using FF, yes 17mm is ultra wide angle
If you're using crop, 17mm is still not that wide IMO

According to his previous posts, he's on a 40D. So it's a crop sensor.

:cool: Hi all , need some advice . i need to buy wide angle lens this lens EF17-40mm f/4L USM canon it is ok for landscape photo :sweat:

All lens are OK for Landscape if thats what u r asking~ Depends on hw u shoot it..

If u enjoy an exaggerated view (UWA) and using Full frame, i will say yes..

But if you are on cropped sensor.. i suggest u look at EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM instead or (other highly recommended 3ry party ones like Sigma 10-20 or Tokina 12-24 or 11-16)

HTH :)

i am currently using one :D
and loving it :bsmilie:
but depends on you as the maximum range is only 40mm which means cant take sniper shot in streets haha :embrass:

not so understand may i ask what is corp sensor mean what ?? thank

A crop sensor is used to refer to a sensor that is smaller than 35mm film (24 x 36mm). The field/angle of view (FOV) depends on both the focal length of the lens and the size of your sensor. If you have a smaller sensor, the FOV will be smaller.

If you have a 40D, the FOV you get on your camera with a 16mm lens with be roughly the same as the FOV you get with a 16x1.6=26mm lens on a 35mm film camera.

I think that people tend to naturally associate a specific focal length to a specific FOV, which probably stems from the old days of film cameras. However, with digital cameras, you have sensors with different sizes (and typically smaller than 35mm film, to save costs).

To get a wider FOV on a 40D, you might want to consider the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM.

I suggest reading up on the photography basics for newbies. There's a very helpful link in the stickies of the newbies section.