lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheldonchew

Dec 5, 2009
hi guys,

i have just gotten myself a sony a230 dslr from sitex fair at expo recently. i have currently own a sal1855 lens.

my question is
1. will this len enough for me if i want to do portrait shots?

yes. it is enough.

You are the only limit. Yes, the lens is enough. If you want more pleasing background blur, you can buy/rent/borrow a 50mm f/1.4 or 1.8 lens.

how about the sal55200 lens. should I ever need it? what lens should I get for basic photography? fundamental lenses I mean.

how about the sal55200 lens. should I ever need it? what lens should I get for basic photography? fundamental lenses I mean.

Up to you if you need more telefocal reach.

For basic photography, use what you have, learn from what you have. You can also join the alpha outings, where you can test lenses, talk about them, ask for advice, join model shoots, etc etc

Choose lens based on the type of photography you will be doing the most.
Landscape, events, portraits, streets, sports & fast motion, indoor and dim lightings, birds and super far away objects, etc.
For basic photography, the kit lens is sufficient.
SAL 55-200 will be good if you need the extra reach, but ask yourself how often will you be using it ?
An external flash will be useful to own for events and indoor shoots.
A tripod if you do night shoot.

So basic items to own:
1) 18-55 kit lens for most occasions and general shooting.
2) 55-200 tele for events and some reach.
3) 50 f1.8 prime if you like to explore the beauty of prime lens
4) External flash for indoor shoot.
5) A good camera bag to house your lens and the camera body.
6) A maintenance kit to clean your lens and body.
7) An electrical dry cabinet to keep your gears when not using. (This is a must buy).
8) A good and stable tripod for night shoot.

Happy shooting my friend :)

In short, yes ur kit lens can take portraits without any problem. However a 50mm f1.8 prime lens will be better for portrait shots.

Currently there's a promotion. Extend your warranty for 2 more years at $230, and get the 50mm prime lens for free. Very worth it imo, especially since u r doing portraits and can put the prime lens to good use.

Last edited:
you will only find out what u need after shooting for awhile... dun let others determine what u need/don't need.

I think I must be to rush on the sitex expo show. I ended up signing up Harvey Norman additional two years plan and I never purchase the 55200 lens. regret.

I think I must be to rush on the sitex expo show. I ended up signing up Harvey Norman additional two years plan and I never purchase the 55200 lens. regret.

No need to regret getting the 55-200. Can easily get a 2nd hand one cheap at the BnS section. Rather, you should regret not getting the 50F1.8 that comes free with the sony 2yr warranty. Not only is this prime lens excellent for potraits (I have one) the 2 yr sony warrant also allows you to send your camera in for free sensor cleaning every 3 mths. Also, once you tasted the sharpness of a prime....the kit zoom just won't do...:cool:

I recommend another lens which I have - 30F2.8 Macro. The Macro is good for taking food and other closeup like flowers (but not insects). 30mm is wide enough for most purposes including potraits and landscape. F2.8 is fast enough for most normal indoor lighting and brightly lit night scene. In fact, I use this lens most often nowadays. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.