Lens Won't Focus at Infinity

dualie

Apr 10, 2006
Has a DA40mm Limited that is having trouble focusing at infinity. I can hear the camera trying to go that extra turn in order to get focus lock, but fail. Close focus is no problem.

I tested out another DA40mm Limited (I happen to have 2) in exact same scenario, no problem to focus lock at all.

Although its out of warranty, I'm thinking of sending it to APDS for repair.

Anyone has similar issues with your lens before?
How you resolve it?
How much did it cost?

Thank you

Your post is short on details and sorry but your video is pretty hopeless.
What camera are you using? Is it new or used?
Is your lens new or used?
Was the lens opened up before?
Any dirt under the focus barrel?
Did the lens suffer any mechanical shock?
I take it the problematic lens is unable to AF to infinity, but what about manual focus/Quick Shift? Have you tried focusing with Live View?
Any AF adjustment done in camera?
Bring the lens and camera for service because it isn't clear if the lens or camera is the source of the issue.

creampuff said:
Your post is short on details and sorry but your video is pretty hopeless.
What camera are you using? Is it new or used?
Is your lens new or used?
Was the lens opened up before?
Any dirt under the focus barrel?
Did the lens suffer any mechanical shock?
I take it the problematic lens is unable to AF to infinity, but what about manual focus/Quick Shift? Have you tried focusing with Live View?
Any AF adjustment done in camera?
Bring the lens and camera for service because it isn't clear if the lens or camera is the source of the issue.

I'm using K5-IIs with the lens.
Have tried with various other lenses, only this one is problematic.
Lens was used, but detail history I'm not too sure.

Lens can quick shift and MF.
Surprisingly, did not encounter any AF issue with Live View.
Only occur when using OVF.

Will likely bring it in for APDS to look see.

If live view ok and ovf not ok look like a back/front focus issue .

You try to calibrated using the AF fine tuning already ? If its out a bit still can self adjust back .

Has a DA40mm Limited that is having trouble focusing at infinity. I can hear the camera trying to go that extra turn in order to get focus lock, but fail. Close focus is no problem.

I tested out another DA40mm Limited (I happen to have 2) in exact same scenario, no problem to focus lock at all.

Although its out of warranty, I'm thinking of sending it to APDS for repair.

Anyone has similar issues with your lens before?
How you resolve it?
How much did it cost?

Thank you

If you focus it manually to infinity (in other words, turn the focusing ring as far as it will go), is the image in focus? If it is, go to the focus fine adjustment in the camera menu, and for that lens only (not 'all') try adjusting it a few notches to the right, and save. It may be that the camera is trying to focus the lens beyond where it wants to go mechanically. By adjusting the focus so that the lens front focuses a bit compared to what it is doing now, you may achieve focus lock. I met that issue when I was trying (unsuccessfully) to sort out the focusing behaviour of my DA21.

Thanks for all the suggestion.

I've tried MF and LV.
MF can't achieve sharp focus to distant object.
LV although manage focus lock, the photos are still not as sharp as my good copy.

Anyway, I've taken the lens to APDS, and they diagnose as focusing cam and barrel problem.
Need send Japan for repair. Damage $150.