Lens with VR vs without VR

ctm1968

Sep 1, 2008
I need some advices from the gurus here :)

I am interested to get a Tameron 18-270 (without VR), now special promo at $299. I used to own a Tameron 18-270 with VR but sold it when I change my body.
Here's my questions:

1. What is the downside with the lens without VR? Will there be a lot of time photo taken that is not clear or blur?
2. Any problem when shooting in low light environment?
3. Any problem when shooting with slow shutter speed? (like 0.5 sec and above?)

Please advise. Thanks in advance!

1. Assuming you are taking photographs of static objects, VR (or, in Tamron's terminology, VC) will allow you to utilize slower shutter speeds. Thus, without VC, you have to use higher shutter speeds to ensure that the final image is not blur.

2. Without VR, you would have to rely on larger apertures and higher ISO to handle low light situations. In short, VR gives you the added possibility of using a slower shutter speed.

3. It is often accepted that the minimum shutter speed to be used, handheld, is an inverse function of the focal length used. In general, I do not go below 1/30s without VR, when taking scenes with my wide angle (14-24mm). With VR, I wouldn't flirt past 1/15s. Your experience may vary.

1. Assuming you are taking photographs of static objects, VR (or, in Tamron's terminology, VC) will allow you to utilize slower shutter speeds. Thus, without VC, you have to use higher shutter speeds to ensure that the final image is not blur.

2. Without VR, you would have to rely on larger apertures and higher ISO to handle low light situations. In short, VR gives you the added possibility of using a slower shutter speed.

3. It is often accepted that the minimum shutter speed to be used, handheld, is an inverse function of the focal length used. In general, I do not go below 1/30s without VR, when taking scenes with my wide angle (14-24mm). With VR, I wouldn't flirt past 1/15s. Your experience may vary.

Thanks for your reply!! I am still not very expert yet, I am travelling to eastern Europe in Dec (with group) it is very cold and most likely I will use full auto mode to shoot most of the time cause I do not have the luxury of lot of time at each location. I don't foresee I will be needed to shoot with shutter speed longer than 1/30 sec.

Do you think the 18-270 (without VC) is a good choice?

I am using Nikon D5100 with 18-105 (Kit Lens), I also have a 35mm, 18-55 (Kit Lens). I am still thinking to bring the 35mm with me or not :)

If you have the habit of using the tripod, that with or without not important, otherwise there is always better to have.

If you have the habit of using the tripod, that with or without not important, otherwise there is always better to have.

No, I don't have the habit of using tripod. Traveling to Europe with tripod is on fun :(

I am more worry of the VC not available when zoom to full length (i.e. 270mm) :(

Thanks for your reply!! I am still not very expert yet, I am travelling to eastern Europe in Dec (with group) it is very cold and most likely I will use full auto mode to shoot most of the time cause I do not have the luxury of lot of time at each location. I don't foresee I will be needed to shoot with shutter speed longer than 1/30 sec.

I am using Nikon D5100 with 18-105 (Kit Lens), I also have a 35mm, 18-55 (Kit Lens). I am still thinking to bring the 35mm with me or not :)

You seem to have a lot of overlap with your current lens arsenal. Other than the extended range from 105-270mm, I do not see much use for the Tamron.

If I were you, I would consider:
1. Selling the 2 Nikon zoom lenses and get the Tamron 18-270mm VC.
2. Ditch the Tamron idea and just get a small telephoto lens from Nikon. There is the AF-S 55-300mm DX VR.

You seem to have a lot of overlap with your current lens arsenal. Other than the extended range from 105-270mm, I do not see much use for the Tamron.

If I were you, I would consider:
1. Selling the 2 Nikon zoom lenses and get the Tamron 18-270mm VC.
2. Ditch the Tamron idea and just get a small telephoto lens from Nikon. There is the AF-S 55-300mm DX VR.

Thanks for your advise. Ya I am aware of the overlapping issue, it is legacy issue. I used to own the 18-270mm with VC but I sold it as it has some problem with the AF with my new D5100 then. After that I got the 2nd hands 18-105mm to replace my 18-55 kit lens. I have been using 18-105mm for all my shoot. I will consider your option 1, but too short time to do that before my trip in Mid Dec. :( I would like to have the extended range from 105-270mm for my Dec trip.

Anyway the 2 lens I have at most can get $300+ in 2nd hands market, the new 18-270mm with VC is about 700+ I think.... so I need to work out my budget......

with all the money u spend so far. you could have get a d600 2nd hand or a d610

Definitely not a good choice for your case. Unless u only shoot daylight or using tripod.
Cheap but defeat purpose, u r just wasting more money instead of saving.

Travel shots are mostly just snapshots of the things we like and how we want to see it, there's no fault in shooting Auto or Programmed mode and coming back with such images. Unless it's a pure photography trip, yes, you are right, time is limited at each location (better if you are on FnE but group...) so just shoot and enjoy.

Dec would be near the snowing period, my concerns would be more on battery power as well as fogging on the glass when you enter cold->hot. Spare battery, extra memory cards etc.

Shutter speeds will vary during the periods of the day. 1/30 would be feasible if you have a max focal length of 30 (maybe you have more stable hands?). With the mist and the snow, you probably need to increase your ISO/EV to get the desired shutter speed without handshake.

VR here in this case, is quite redundant if you're using a recent body like the 5200 or 6*0 or even D800 which have high-ISO capabilities. The 5100 should still be bearable at ISO 1600, this should suffice for most lighting conditions, even night, step down to f/4 (or 5.6) and just whack ahead with proper breathing techniques.

In Europe, what's your main genre of shooting? Scenery/landscapes? Or street? If scenery is your main core, any WA glass would be more than sufficient: eg: 18-105, 18-35 or even 18-135. The extra reach can be used for street or casual shots. One major pitfall I see on most travellers is to over carry or bring too many to 'capture everything'. I would rather lug along GND filters than an extra glass.

Don't forget, Europe is not like SG, you don't get escalators or lifts often, and the scenic spots are via trekking (unless you opt to pay for transport - if there are, but even if there are, you are mostly still required to do 10-15mins of trekking after alighting). Do you want to carry that much equipment? By the time you reach the spot, you might be even too tired to even press the shutter anymore and busy removing your sweater/fleece to let some air in to cool yourself down.

Safety is also a concern here, if you're bringing a bag that has a camera bag brand shouting loudly in everybody's face, you might consider wanting to change to something like ThinkTank Retrospectives or Urban Disguise to avoid attention. Carry a big back pack is like telling everybody - "HEY! I have equipment here! Come try to rob me!" (at least to my feel). Mostly is safe, but no harm taking more safety into consideration. Have been lucky the past few times in Europe, but no harm being careful as well, especially on trains if you are the kind that easily dozes off.

IMHO, it depends on your hand hold technique vs focal length. Sturdy hand hold techniques can yield shutter speeds as low as 1/15 sec at 24mm. That's 0.25sec. But trying to do that at 50mm would unlikely work.

If you can deploy a tripod when you need to shoot below your focal lengths, or shoot at very fast shutter speeds, then VR or none of it dies not matter.

Speaking from experience, VR helps but not something you can't do without.

I am interested to get a Tameron 18-270 (without VR), now special promo at $299. I used to own a Tameron 18-270 with VR but sold it when I change my body.
Here's my questions:

1. What is the downside with the lens without VR? Will there be a lot of time photo taken that is not clear or blur?

VR is mainly for static subj and TS concern on at 270mm is really depending on ur shooting technique.
If by any chance perhaps due to cold weather u think ur hands will shake more than usual, the VR will be really helpful. Otherwise, $300 for Non-VR sounds like a good deal. Your purpose of the lens should be ur primary concern i feel, the 35mm would be my choice for travel.. small and light. 18-55mm is wider for more general phototaking and most likely the choice if i plan to take mostly landscape and scenery in europe. one thing i like to suggest is the basic lens tend to attract less attention from would be pickpockets as it may not be worth their effort.

gentle reminder moving obj at 270mm is a totally diff matter.. the VR wouldnt matter.
AF on the Tamron is also abit slow.. just my personal observation.

Hmmm... last time i checked VR is great for stabilization when tracking moving subjects... funny how some of the "advice" here is starting to sound like...

Last edited:

Here's my questions:

You got to understand that VR is not a cure for handshake and there is a limit what it can do. Some people think they can handhold more than 1 secs with the latest and greatest. I happen to think that's crap but if you think the results are acceptable to you, who am I to say you can't do it? You decide.

Thanks all the advise!! My plan is go with less equipment as possible, this is my 3rd trip to Europe in cold condition. Spare battery (3x) and spare memory card (4x) are ready :)
From what I am reading here, I may just bring my 18-105 and use the money to invest in a good PnS camera as backup

I am currently looking at the 2nd hands lens market.
Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM - $400
Tamron AF 18-270 f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC - $470
Nikkor 18-200 VR II - $600

Which one should I go for? Am thinking to go with the Sigma (cause of budget), smaller, good picture quality at short and far end compare to Tamron. Any advise?

Thanks!

http://www.bythom.com/nikon-vr.htm

A great write up on the Nikon VR system... although Abit wordy...

Yes that is a great write up.. but nowhere in that article did Thom Hogan mentioned that "VR is mainly for static subj "...

But do read up on #6... subj is moving in that.

Nothing beats real world experience... actually using it and push it to the limit to understand what VR can or cannot do, and what effect it has on your pictures.

You got to understand that VR is not a cure for handshake and there is a limit what it can do. Some people think they can handhold more than 1 secs with the latest and greatest. I happen to think that's crap but if you think the results are acceptable to you, who am I to say you can't do it? You decide.

cannot +1 enough...

Yes that is a great write up.. but nowhere in that article did Thom Hogan mentioned that "VR is mainly for static subj "...

But do read up on #6... subj is moving in that.

Nothing beats real world experience... actually using it and push it to the limit to understand what VR can or cannot do, and what effect it has on your pictures.

Ya.. I stand corrected.. What I meant was when taking static subj.. the VR helps with the camera shakes.. and when taking moving obj the the VR really only helps If the subj is still in frame.. the af is too slow to react... esp If like TS has mentioned, in auto mode; I find switching off the VR helps af better.. not sure whether because it's a d5200 body I'm using.. If a body with motor, it may b different..

Thanks all the advise!! My plan is go with less equipment as possible, this is my 3rd trip to Europe in cold condition. Spare battery (3x) and spare memory card (4x) are ready :)
From what I am reading here, I may just bring my 18-105 and use the money to invest in a good PnS camera as backup

I am currently looking at the 2nd hands lens market.
Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM - $400
Tamron AF 18-270 f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC - $470
Nikkor 18-200 VR II - $600

Which one should I go for? Am thinking to go with the Sigma (cause of budget), smaller, good picture quality at short and far end compare to Tamron. Any advise?

Thanks!

Same dilenma I had! There is a few threads in the three comparison somewhere in CS, Alot of links and reviews in them.. do a search in newbie corner or equip discussion and I believe u will get ur answer..

Personally I believe budget trumps all... unless the difference is minor.. just my 2¢