Lens...What to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenyt

Aug 15, 2007
Hi all, am new here...currently i'm still using a nikon D50 kit. Recently there is something inside my lens a smart mark...not sure what it is but it doesnt affect my pictures so i have just stick with it. BUT i'm sick of the limitations of the lens so I would like someone to recommend me an all rounder lens (events, sports, wedding, night shots, some fashion photos? nature etc.) preferably below the 1000 range as i'm still a student and not working. Ty!

Hi all, am new here...currently i'm still using a nikon D50 kit. Recently there is something inside my lens a smart mark...not sure what it is but it doesnt affect my pictures so i have just stick with it. BUT i'm sick of the limitations of the lens so I would like someone to recommend me an all rounder lens (events, sports, wedding, night shots, some fashion photos? nature etc.) preferably below the 1000 range as i'm still a student and not working. Ty!

Try a Tamron 28-75 or a 17-50.... ;)

I would recommend something in the 18-200 range, i started with this as well.
it's wide enough to take close up potraits and landscapes, while the zoom is enough for sports action.

the flickr pool
http://www.flickr.com/groups/tamron_18-200/pool/

I migh have one lying around in my dry box, it's a good affordable lens to start with, PM me to remind me.

18-200mm might be a tad too expensive for this newbie... no offence...

That's a bit too.. All-rounded.
You will need short to long, why not just get a few lenses as you go along? An all-rounded lens, like the 18-200 suggested, if you ask me, while it is indeed good and all-rounded you will sacrifice significant and visible optical quality due to the large range needed to be covered. Something like Jack of all trades, master of none.

The kit lens is pretty decent for many things, there is a reason why most kit lens use the 18-55 range - how exactly are you limited by the lens, pray let us know.

If you're talking about maximum aperture size then good luck to you, most lenses with good maximum aperture sizes are expensive, other than the 50mm prime, I think.

Work within your limits and financial constraints first, the kit lens can produce good pictures, and while it can be limiting I've seen photographers stick with it for a long time and who were happy with it. Don't just buy for the sake of buying - as for the smart mark, why not try cleaning it or posting up pictures to show what it is. To me, most marks can be easily resolved, sounds like the BBB virus talking/ finding an excuse to make you upgrade.

actually 18-200 will be the best for you already...save a bit more...eat more grass...you will not regret it...

what limitations are you facing with your current lens?
what do you wish to have?

are you looking to replace your kit lens or compliment it?

alright my friend just told me its not my lens its my camera body that the mark is on. how do i get rid of it? so heart pain man :cry:

like it was previously mentioned, a tamron or sigma 18-200 will do a nice job if u dont need superb quality

if the price is still a little too much, there r plenty of such lenses in the WTS marketplace forums

could u maybe explain the mark in ur cam more

I hv D40 kits with 18-55 and 55-200VR.

Instead of carry two lens, will it wise for me to trade in both for a good quality nikon 18-70mm D80kit lens ? and pay for $250 ?

Help please

Another newbie

like it was previously mentioned, a tamron or sigma 18-200 will do a nice job if u dont need superb quality

if the price is still a little too much, there r plenty of such lenses in the WTS marketplace forums

could u maybe explain the mark in ur cam more

Hi, I agree, I recently just got a Sigma 18-200mm DC OS lens, the quality and performance is good, its a good and affordable upgrade to anyone who have a budget. :)

I hv D40 kits with 18-55 and 55-200VR.

Instead of carry two lens, will it wise for me to trade in both for a good quality nikon 18-70mm D80kit lens ? and pay for $250 ?

Help please

Another newbie

Hi, I think you should stick to your current two lens as they complement one another well
(wide and tele), the lens offered in the D40 bundle are rather good (not od poor quality) as compared to Canon (I trade in my kit len and bought a Sigma 18-200mm DC OS len), use them and practice well your skills 1st, upgrade will be of a later stage. :)

hmm not really small dot marks..it kind of clutter together eg. when u squeeze 1 line of liquid paper like that but yes it is at the view finder. oh yar how much does it cost for the sigma 18-200 lens?

hmm not really small dot marks..it kind of clutter together eg. when u squeeze 1 line of liquid paper like that but yes it is at the view finder. oh yar how much does it cost for the sigma 18-200 lens?
its dust... in the form of tiny "fur"

Hi, I agree, I recently just got a Sigma 18-200mm DC OS lens, the quality and performance is good, its a good and affordable upgrade to anyone who have a budget. :)

Hi interested to get this lens.. whats the demage n the most ideal place to buy.. ;)

Hi interested to get this lens.. whats the demage n the most ideal place to buy.. ;)

Hi, I got it at MS-Color (AMK) at $790 with a free Tokina UV filter throw in. I believe that other shops might be selling even lower, you might want to check further before buying. As for me, I "jump" too fast but no regrets. Happy using~! :)

i have the 18-55 nikkor and the 55-200. all i can say is that most of my pictures were taken with the 18-55. in fact, i hardly use the 55-200 and even if i did, it would probably only take up to 10% of my total shots ever. i guess it all depends on the types of photographs that you take and your interests.

the 18-200 range is a good all-rounder. it beats having to carry and additional lens but it is quite costly..about SGD1200 for the nikkor?

i would rather get a faster lens...now the 17-55 f/2.8 is a great lens...too bad about the price though..>$2k!

My advice to the both of you is to save up a little bit more and buy a nikon 18-200mm VR. It cost $1300. Buy that and you probably won't upgrade for a long time to come. I'm still using that lens till today. If you want to carry only one lens, it would be this lens. I shoot sunrise, sports, company event, even a wedding dinner with this one lens.

Yes, it can't shoot very wide angle, or shoot monkey in the zoo close up. When you have more money then you may want to get other lens such as a wide angle, 400mm, etc. But most of the time, the 18-200 will serve you well.

if u are willing to fork out ard 200++ more, i recomend u to get the nikkor 18-200mm VR, no regrets

Status
Not open for further replies.