Lens used during event shoots

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkplayandlove

Jan 25, 2008
Hello, i'm a newbie here and wants to try shooting events on my own first. Just want to ask what kind of lens are often used? The focal length, cos sometimes i think i might stand far back (eg, during autograph sessions)

So to those who always shoot similar events, wad kind of lens do u use for canon? I don't own any zoom lens now but i tend to rent some to start (while saving to buy my own)

Thanks!

heya

it also depends on what body you're using, if you're new to this, I'm guessing you have a crop body? i.e. 30/40D or maybe a 400D? anyway, i started using a 28-135mm canon lens and for a crop body this is great. has a good range.

must warn you, make sure you have a flash. events arent always the brightest of places (depending on event of course) but regardless, group photos and if there's prize giving etc, you should always have a flash. always.

i guess if you have the money, a 24-105L would be better lens, and finally, if you can, get a good wide angle lens for a few of those wide angle shots that are good for events. So that'd be either the 10-22mm EFS lens for a crop body or maybe a 17-40L for a fullframe...

anyway im just throwing out the lenses ive experienced, but to start off with, yeah, i'd recommend the 28-135.

Good luck!

Lotsa choices 70-200 IS F2.8, 135L F2, 200mm, 85mm f1.8 even 50mm. Some even use 70-300mm but bad choice, handshake, smaller aperature, big heavy, etc.

i did one wif kit lens... nt that bad, but flash super important... really need that with small aperture lenses...

i have a 450d with kit lens.. i intend to rent lens to try out at events first, so wanna get suggestions.. but for kit lens, gotta stand very near right if i wanna get closer shots~

i use 70-200 most of the time for stage events, 24-105 for stage events where we can move around, 50mm for non stage events.

Well, knowing what your event is gonna be like is really important to using what lenses during a event. Let's say it's a stage event, then perhaps you will need a longer lens, but if its a casual event, then a normal zoom lens would do. It all depends on what you wanna capture. Wider shots? close up shots? macro shots? group shots? Flash is important but I wouldn't say it is a must because firstly, if you do not have one, make do with what you have, secondly, if you were to be shooting a recital/concert, flash should do a nono. Thirdly, flash can be distracting sometimes(most of the time), therefore, refrain from using it. Having good lenses for events are more crucial than a flash, because personally, I try not to use flash as much as possible.

At most events, here's my setup as a nikon user. I use a wide focal length range, from 12-200mm, I use 12-24mm f/4, 24-85 f/2.8-4, 70-200 f/2.8. Do check out my event shots, alot are without flash. Esp concerts. Hope this is something of use. =D A 24-70 f/2.8 would be a good lens for events for canon as well as 70-200 f/2.8

Hi...

Thanks for sharing....I agree with you that flash is almost indispensable most of the time.

The flash on the camera just cannot do the job when you come to wide angle and when you take at a distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.