Lens Upgrade / Replacement (comments & suggestions)

pessimizt

Aug 28, 2006
Hi hi, would like to seek your expertise / advise on whether is it feasible to upgrade / replace my existing equipment.

Camera: Nikon D5000
Lens: 18-55mm kit + 35mm 1.8g

I have been looking and shortlisted Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 (vc and non-vc) for a week due to its affordability and pretty good image review.
Sigma and Nikkor are way out of my budget.

My purpose is to hope that it can replace both my current lens and still give me good image quality.
Is this lens good for portraiture and group photos (for weddings and functions) ?

Is it a good idea to sell away my kit (18-55) and 35mm 1.8g to get the Tamron 17-50mm (used) ?

I am leaning more towards the non-vc version due to the size and weight (and cost too).

Please comment or provide other suggestions for a zoom lens that is similar to above and affordable (similarly priced) ?

I understand that this lens is pretty noisy during auto-focusing but i think i might be able to live with that (got to test to have a feel) first.

Cheers ! :)

Your 35mm may still be better for portraits. For group shots, you will normally shoot at f/5.6 or f/8 so not much benefit to the f/2.8

I recommend you rent it and try first.

Hi I'm having both lens and would say it is for different purposes. If want to go lower than 2.8 this 35mm is good. I'm having the non VC due to its light weight, IQ and of course the cost. Only dislike the hunting in very low light (seldom came across) and noisy motor. I can live with both. That's me. Thanks.

Tamron 17-50 non VC do not come with motor. So need to manual focus on D5000. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply Rashkae and gnesgnoy!

So will it be a good choice to replace the 18-55mm with the Tamron ?
Its because sometimes i am frustrated at taking food or portrait with the Nikon (most cafe / restaurant lightings are pretty low).

Hmm....i thought the VC is for vibration compensation or something ?
Didnt know it will not auto-focus on D5000.
Got to go and read up more.

Thank you for pointing out !

Cheers.

Sorry I think there are 2 models one is BIM (built in motor) and one without. You will need to ask the shops. Jung remember someone did port they bought the BIM. Definitely worth compare with the Kit lens. I only have the 18-105mm. Cheers.

Sorry I think there are 2 models one is BIM (built in motor) and one without. You will need to ask the shops. Jung remember someone did port they bought the BIM. Definitely worth compare with the Kit lens. I only have the 18-105mm. Cheers.

Ah yes, i need to get the one with BIM.
By the way, you mentioned earlier that you have the Tamron too right ?
Is it with BIM and how much you got it for ?
Any problem with landscape (especially night) ?

Thank you !

I'm having without the BIM since my D90 has in camera motor. Bought at John 2 years back at John at $630/- For landscapes I use my UWA more but your kit should be able to deliver. This lens is a 2.8 so good for low light and dof like food, restaurant settings etc.

I'm having without the BIM since my D90 has in camera motor. Bought at John 2 years back at John at $630/- For landscapes I use my UWA more but your kit should be able to deliver. This lens is a 2.8 so good for low light and dof like food, restaurant settings etc.

Oh, noted that !
My other reason to change to Tamron is also due to travelling purposes.
Slightly wider 17mm compare to 18mm.
Faster aperture (f2.8 when during low light).

And of course it doesnt burn a hole too. :)

Thanks for the reply Rashkae and gnesgnoy!

So will it be a good choice to replace the 18-55mm with the Tamron ?
Its because sometimes i am frustrated at taking food or portrait with the Nikon (most cafe / restaurant lightings are pretty low).

Hmm....i thought the VC is for vibration compensation or something ?
Didnt know it will not auto-focus on D5000.
Got to go and read up more.

Thank you for pointing out !

Cheers.

Then increase ISO or use the 35mm

Please don't be concerned with the auto focus capability of the lens because:

1. The VC version only comes with a built-in motor (BIM)
2. Tamron has only been selling the non-VC with BIM version since a long time ago (several years).

This means that if you are looking at buying new, there is almost no chance to get one without a BIM.

Next, yes, that lens is able to perform even for commercial event coverage purposes. I used this lens during my younger days to cover corporate events and clients were all pleased with my output. If I can do it with a D70 / D200 dSLR, your D5000 should be pretty good too.

Lol no difference between 17mm & 18mm. But you cn use your 35mm to test the effect on 2.8 DOF. For me I'm satisfied with the IQ and performance of this lens so far. This lens is my indoor lens while my kit for day use. Thanks.

If I were u, I would definitely change to the f/2.8 zoom and make it a one-lens walkabout setup. F2.8 is a good balance between shallow DOF n sharpness. If u liked the shallow DOF of ur 35mm, u can still (almost) reproduce it at 50/2.8. Just need to tweak ur framing and perspective. Non-vc would be good enuff for such focal lengths, as long as u try to shoot faster than 1/60 sec.

Thanks all again for the input !

I also read about some copy had issues with focusing or need to send for calibration ?

Any problem for you guys who had used the non-VC with BIM ?
Any other issues that i need to check if i were to get a 2nd hand copy ?

Cheers.

Thanks all again for the input !

I also read about some copy had issues with focusing or need to send for calibration ?

Any problem for you guys who had used the non-VC with BIM ?
Any other issues that i need to check if i were to get a 2nd hand copy ?

Cheers.

I had no problems with mine.

The one that I used to own was a Non-VC with BIM. Purchased in 2010, there wasn't any problems.

Have u considered the sigma 17-50 EX OS HSM?
Many reviews give it a thumb up over tomron 17-50vc.

Have u considered the sigma 17-50 EX OS HSM?
Many reviews give it a thumb up over tomron 17-50vc.

Cheapest grey set is already $800.