Lens to use with Canon 60D (need advice)

Ricardo Ong

Jan 31, 2011
Hi guys,

Newbie here, currently using Canon G11 pretty awesome Point n Shoot compact...but i wana upgrade to a proper DSLR and i have decided on the Canon 60D.

I would need some advice on the type of lens that i am thinking of getting...so please drop any comments.

I am just a causal shooter, use camera for parties, events, social gatherings and also travel ard places just to take random pics...and the occassional overseas trip (no afrcia / wild life travel as yet...)

Below are the lens that i am considering...

In terms of importance...

1) Standard Kit lens S18-135mm f 3.5-5.6 (day to day lens, simple zoom)

2) Standard & Medium Telephoto
EF 50mm f1.4 USD RRP $699 ( i love to take portraits with "blur blur" backgroud behind)

3) Wide Angle Lens
need serious help here....(just need 1 for causal pics / travel)

1) EF 28mm f2.8 RRP $389
2) EF 28mm f2.8 RRP $679
3) EF 28mm f1.8 RRP $899

which one will you suggest / why ?

4) Speedlite 430 Ex II RRP $579 (for night pics)

so guys, what do u think of my "kit" anything else I am missing?

Cheers!

Hi guys,

Newbie here, currently using Canon G11 pretty awesome Point n Shoot compact...but i wana upgrade to a proper DSLR and i have decided on the Canon 60D.

What kind of Photography do u want to take?
(landscape, portrait, macro, indoor, sport?)

The wide angle lenses you listed will not be wide on your crop body. For your case, the kit lens with the flash should be fine if you're on a tight budget, and if you have more just get a Tamron 17-50 f2.8. Even more budget, Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS. If you still have more money there are many other things you can buy, like a decent tripod (the free ones that come with the cameras are usualy quite crappy), ND/GND/polarising filters for landscapes (not a neccessity but nice to have)

For portraits you could also consider the 50/1.8 or the 85/1.8, but take note that when you use very large apertures to achieve blur backgrounds, huge parts of your photo will be out of focus, so you want to be careful when focusing.

Hi guys,

I would need some advice on the type of lens that i am thinking of getting...so please drop any comments.

I am just a causal shooter, use camera for parties, events, social gatherings and also travel ard places just to take random pics...and the occassional overseas trip (no afrcia / wild life travel as yet...)

Below are the lens that i am considering...

In terms of importance...

1) Standard Kit lens S18-135mm f 3.5-5.6 (day to day lens, simple zoom)

2) Standard & Medium Telephoto
EF 50mm f1.4 USD RRP $699 ( i love to take portraits with "blur blur" backgroud behind)

3) Wide Angle Lens
need serious help here....(just need 1 for causal pics / travel)

1) EF 28mm f2.8 RRP $389
2) EF 28mm f2.8 RRP $679
3) EF 28mm f1.8 RRP $899

which one will you suggest / why ?

4) Speedlite 430 Ex II RRP $579 (for night pics)

so guys, what do u think of my "kit" anything else I am missing?

Cheers!

Just stick to your kit lens for now. For your landscapes you won't be shooting at f/2.8 anyway, so no point. Get a tripod instead.

For portraiture, get the 50mm f/1.8 instead. Much easier on the wallet.

What kind of Photography do u want to take?
(landscape, portrait, macro, indoor, sport?)

i will say mostly indoor, (ie parties, events, - esp under yellow light) then maybe some BBQ parties, birthday, n some portraits....landscape - maybe when i travel oversaes...but i dun see myself using it very often....( not much sports)

hi guys, what is your take on "macro lens" ...ie it is pretty expensive...unless u really hardcore photography fan / , professional photography for work....

will u recommend a "newbie" to get one?

Last edited:
The wide angle lenses you listed will not be wide on your crop body. For your case, the kit lens with the flash should be fine if you're on a tight budget, and if you have more just get a Tamron 17-50 f2.8. Even more budget, Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS. If you still have more money there are many other things you can buy, like a decent tripod (the free ones that come with the cameras are usualy quite crappy), ND/GND/polarising filters for landscapes (not a neccessity but nice to have)

For portraits you could also consider the 50/1.8 or the 85/1.8, but take note that when you use very large apertures to achieve blur backgrounds, huge parts of your photo will be out of focus, so you want to be careful when focusing.

hi bro, thanks for your input...but i dun understand...what u mean by " the wide angle lenses you listed will not be wide on your crop body",,,,

for the portraits part - i thought the camera will have those '9 focus point" ie, u can aim and shoot ( target the focus area) ???

In terms of focal length...

The G11 ranges from 28-140mm (@35mm equivalent). The 60D 18-135mm kit lens (29-224mm @35mm equivalent) will give you slightly more reach. I'm not sure why you need a 28mm f/2.8 for your "wide" end needs. I would suggest the 10-22mm (16-35mm @35mm equivalent) to compliment the 18-135mm instead.

Alternatively, another option would be to forgo the kit lens and choose the highly regarded 15-85mm (24-136 @35mm equivalent), gives you the the same reach while even wider than what the G11 can provide. To be sure, you bring your G11 and can go Canon showroom at Vivo to test out the feel of various lens combination with the 60D.
:)

Just stick to your kit lens for now. For your landscapes you won't be shooting at f/2.8 anyway, so no point. Get a tripod instead.

For portraiture, get the 50mm f/1.8 instead. Much easier on the wallet.

hi bro, can you please explain your earlier point? ie wont be shooint landscape on a f2.8?
ie will u recommend that i get a higher f4 / f5 lens instead? any lens u will suggest?
that would cost quite a bit liao...above 1.2K??

yeah, i got a "decent tripod"....

About choice 1: If you want a all-in-one lens then I would recommend either Canon's 18-200 or Tamron's 18-270 (wait for the new version to be out). I think these two lenses will handle better than 18-135.

Also get a 2nd hand 50 f1.8 II to see if you like to work with primes instead of plunging straight into 50 f1.4. Otherwise just use whatever lens you have and fix the focal length at 50mm and try out.

No need to be in a hurry to buy everything...get the body and a lens first and shoot... if you decide you need an accessory then get it. Of course a good tripod is recommended but again one may not like to carry a tripod when going out.

I think the 2 most important accessories would be 1) cleaning kit, 2) Spare batt.

In terms of focal length...

The G11 ranges from 28-140mm (@35mm equivalent). The 60D 18-135mm kit lens (29-224mm @35mm equivalent) will give you slightly more reach. I'm not sure why you need a 28mm f/2.8 for your "wide" end needs. I would suggest the 10-22mm (16-35mm @35mm equivalent) to compliment the 18-135mm instead.

Alternatively, another option would be to forgo the kit lens and choose the highly regarded 15-85mm (24-136 @35mm equivalent), gives you the the same reach while even wider than what the G11 can provide. To be sure, you bring your G11 and can go Canon showroom at Vivo to test out the feel of various lens combination with the 60D.
:)

hi bro, the one that you suggest is this? EF S 15-85MM f3.5-6.5 RRP $1369 (from canon website)
any reasons why it is so "highly regarded"?

correct me if i am wrong...but this EF 15-85 mm will have shorter range than the original one that i want EFS 18-135mm??

wont it be better to have a slightly longer range zoom lens??/

thanks!

hi bro, can you please explain your earlier point? ie wont be shooint landscape on a f2.8?
ie will u recommend that i get a higher f4 / f5 lens instead? any lens u will suggest?
that would cost quite a bit liao...above 1.2K??

yeah, i got a "decent tripod"....

For landscapes, you want a deep depth of field, so you will normally set your aperture to f/8-f/16. In other words, you will get ZERO benefit from paying extra $$$ for an f/2.8 lens. So you can just use your kit lens.

f/4 f/5 is CHEAPER than f/2.8... Your kit lens is 3.5-5.6 I believe...

About choice 1: If you want a all-in-one lens then I would recommend either Canon's 18-200 or Tamron's 18-270 (wait for the new version to be out). I think these two lenses will handle better than 18-135.

just to confirm it is this lens? EFS 18-200 f3.5-5.6 IS RRP 1299...
in what ways handle better than the 18-135? cos can shoot further? longer zoom???

Also get a 2nd hand 50 f1.8 II to see if you like to work with primes instead of plunging straight into 50 f1.4. Otherwise just use whatever lens you have and fix the focal length at 50mm and try out.

hi bro, apparently there are others wont super recommend me getting the 50 F1.4...
why is that so? it is because it is more costly and not worth spending the extra $ or the effect wont be so great,...ie 1.8 compared to the 1.4 >?

No need to be in a hurry to buy everything...get the body and a lens first and shoot... if you decide you need an accessory then get it. Of course a good tripod is recommended but again one may not like to carry a tripod when going out.

I think the 2 most important accessories would be 1) cleaning kit, 2) Spare batt.

thanks bro...for bring that out...
what type of cleaning kit/?

any standard equipment ? how much??/

Cheers!@

Last edited:
hi bro, the one that you suggest is this? EF S 15-85MM f3.5-6.5 RRP $1369 (from canon website)

correct me if i am wrong...but this EF 15-85 mm will have shorter range than the original one that i want EFS 18-135mm??

thanks!

The 18-135 will give you longer range, but the 15-85 will give you a wider view (15mm vs. 18mm).

But realistically, DO NOT buy a lens unless you are sure you need it and feel limited by your kit. Stick to what you have now first, only buy a new lens if you have "outgrown" the kit.

thanks bro...for bring that out...
what type of cleaning kit/?

any standard equipment ? how much??/

Cheers!@

Blower and lens cloth.... costs about 10-15 SGD.

For landscapes, you want a deep depth of field, so you will normally set your aperture to f/8-f/16. In other words, you will get ZERO benefit from paying extra $$$ for an f/2.8 lens. So you can just use your kit lens.

f/4 f/5 is CHEAPER than f/2.8... Your kit lens is 3.5-5.6 I believe...

hi,
u will saying...i would need to set my aperture to f8-f16
so will a EFS 18-200 f3.5-5.6 RRP 1299 do the trick for me?

hi,

If you really need an answer to that question ... you should avoid all kind of buying. You know nuts about the basics. Hard truth. But of course, if you insist on spending just go ahead. It will rip a hole in your wallet .. and afterwards it will rip a hole into your illusion that a lens will take the pictures for you. If the person behind viewfinder doesn't know what to do no lens can help.
Stick to your kit lens, learn, period.

Ignoring the fact that we should learn with basic equipment, Tamron (3RD Party) 17-50 @$600 is a good upgrade from your kit lens or else the original one at $1500, both are great lens with f/2.8 assuming you know what is that and the advantage of a fast lens. I won't use prime ('fix') lens if I am still learning my way around. FLASH is also great for indoors shot.

If you really need an answer to that question ... you should avoid all kind of buying. You know nuts about the basics. Hard truth. But of course, if you insist on spending just go ahead. It will rip a hole in your wallet .. and afterwards it will rip a hole into your illusion that a lens will take the pictures for you. If the person behind viewfinder doesn't know what to do no lens can help.
Stick to your kit lens, learn, period.

That's the truth. :thumbsup:

hi,

Any lens will do the trick for you. But if you don't know what you're doing you will just throw $$$ out the window.

like I said, DO NOT BUY ANY NEW LENS. Use your kit lens, that's all you need for now. And if you want Portrait shots with a blurred background, get the 50mm f/1.8

thanks!

The 15-85 range is shorter. I suggested it since you mention landscapes and fact that it matches quite closely to the range that you would be used to on the G11. Besides, 15-85mm is noted for it's picture quality, probably second only to the 17-55mm for EF-S lens. You can read reviews for that. Well, if you get lousy pictures you can't blame your gear, right? ;)

You need to convert all to 35mm equivalent for a more meaningful comparison... so again:
G11: 28-140mm
18-135 kit: 29-224mm (greater reach or more "zoom" in layman terms)
15-85 lens: 24-136mm (do note that the 4mm diff at the wide end is more significant that the long end compared to the G11)

It's your call.