Lens to use for landscape

semino

Dec 10, 2007
Singapore
Hi Bros & Pros,

can anybody tell me which type of lens, is the best to capture landscapes. I am using Canon 7D with Kit lens(15-85mm). I am not satisfied with my kit Lens. :(

Your kit lens is good enough, but you might want to get a decent tripod if you don't have one.

If you have a budget then get yourself a wide angle lens!

Your kit lens is not good enough.

Buy a Canon 10-22 or Tokina 11-16

Then Buy a Gitzo 1541 with Markins Q3T with RRS Plate for 7D

Then Buy B+W ND110 Filter

Then Buy Cokin & Tianya Filters

Then Start Organising outings and poison other people.

That's it !

Erm. Why is the kit lens not good enough? There are people who still use kit lens for landscapes. If you mean tt it's not wide enough, then I understand.

can anybody tell me which type of lens, is the best to capture landscapes. I am using Canon 7D with Kit lens(15-85mm). I am not satisfied with my kit Lens.
From the question I'd guess the problem is behind the viewfinder. No point changing lenses. Please describe your dissatisfaction further, maybe combined with some sample picture showing the described problem.

oh please....... 15-85mm not good enough??

i think its the person using the cam who is not good enough...... u got to read up more and learn the techniques.......

Why don't you show us a few of your landscape pictures.

A 7D. I can understand why he is "not satisfied" with his kit lens.

Me thinks, the topic starter was poisoned by someone or some reason to buy. hehehe.:)

Its not that isnt wide enough, I am not satisfied with the image quality, especially when I crop the pics of landscapes. I do take in the maximum quality output. Then, close up portraits are acceptable quality - not too bokeh though... like you would get in prime lenses.

Ok.. I will post some images.. then you guys can understand better...

Its not that isnt wide enough, I am not satisfied with the image quality, especially when I crop the pics of landscapes. I do take in the maximum quality output. Then, close up portraits are acceptable quality - not too bokeh though... like you would get in prime lenses.

Actually, I was replying to you, as well as to Odessey Boy. Cause he also said kit lens not good enough for landscapes. :)

Last edited:
Hi, Normally, the wider the angle, the better for landscape. 12-24mm on FF takes you to 122 degree wide. 10-22mm is light but good for walkabout on 7D. It is a better range than 11-16mm for outdoor, though both give good IQ and good reviews.

not too bokeh though... like you would get in prime lenses.

Better learn what bokeh actually means before you try to use it in a sentence... Bokeh is not blur.

From the question I'd guess the problem is behind the viewfinder. No point changing lenses. Please describe your dissatisfaction further, maybe combined with some sample picture showing the described problem.
I second this. I have seen pro landscape shooter using telephoto. So it is not necessary going wide.

How are the thing(s) that make you dissatisfy with your image quality? It will be easier if you can show us your photo.