Lens to start off with


Status
Not open for further replies.

ckiang

Senior Member
#4
Originally posted by currahee
me using Canon EOS 88
budget perhaps below $350
Use the bundled zoom, learn it well and take some good photos. Save the money until you are entirely familiar with the zoom and start to find it seriously lacking. The $350 is probably better spent on film and processing.

Regards
CK
 

currahee

New Member
Jun 6, 2002
307
0
0
Bishan
Visit site
#5
feel that i need the zoom....cos after taking so many photos, have the problem of not being able to get those zoom-up pics of faraway scenary/buildings etc
 

YSLee

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,326
1
38
Visit site
#8
Originally posted by currahee
feel that i need the zoom....cos after taking so many photos, have the problem of not being able to get those zoom-up pics of faraway scenary/buildings etc
Then don't shoot them. Think about the shot you want to shoot, get out of the mentality of needing more zoom.
 

#10
Originally posted by currahee
feel that i need the zoom....cos after taking so many photos, have the problem of not being able to get those zoom-up pics of faraway scenary/buildings etc
80 to 105 isn't going to give you a hell lot of improvement. Ask yourself how often are you going to shoot "zoom-up pics of faraway scenary/buildings etc" and what other ways you can shoot them without zooming in. Some people use only a 50mm!

And if you "upgrade" to a 3rd party 28-200 superzoom, the image quality aren't going to be any better. With only $350, I'd suggest you stick with what you have. Save the money. Buying more equipment is not the solution to all your problems.

Regards
CK
 

Adam Goi

ClubSNAP Idol
Staff member
#12
Originally posted by currahee
okie...think juz have to endure longer :confused:
will a teleconverter helps to a certain extent?
I'm justing thinking aloud...the TC will no doubt double your focal length but it'll also 'double', i.e. magnify whatever weakness(es) inherent in the lens, i.e. softness and such.
 

jasonpgc

New Member
Jan 20, 2002
453
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
#14
How about $150 on a 190 tripod & head so that you can always use your 28-80mm at f8 or f11 for better image quality.

Try to practice on your 28-80mm at only 50mm (least distortion). If you're comfortable with that, then can buy the 50mm f1.8 for $150. This lens will give you bitting sharpness even at f2.8, and of course, better colour.

BTW even the 28-105 suffers from distortion at 28mm and 105mm. If you are look for colour and quality, nothing is better than a cheap prime lens that is designed for a particular focal length.

2X TC for 28-80mm is fine as long as you stick to f8, this mean that the actual aperture you'll be using will be around f16. Which also means that you'll have to use a fast film or a tripod to steady your shot. But make sure you buy one that has 7 elements ($170). However, 160mm is not going to get you those huge egg yolk sunset, you'll need at least 200mm-300mm. So forget about the TC until you've a lens with a bigger aperture, eg, 100mm f2.

Like ck has mention, make sure you shot enough film to jusitify the need to purchase better equipment. It's passion, persistent and lots of patience that differentiate between a pro and a armatuer, not just the equipment.
 

#15
Originally posted by jasonpgc
How about $150 on a 190 tripod & head so that you can always use your 28-80mm at f8 or f11 for better image quality.

Try to practice on your 28-80mm at only 50mm (least distortion). If you're comfortable with that, then can buy the 50mm f1.8 for $150. This lens will give you bitting sharpness even at f2.8, and of course, better colour.

BTW even the 28-105 suffers from distortion at 28mm and 105mm. If you are look for colour and quality, nothing is better than a cheap prime lens that is designed for a particular focal length.

2X TC for 28-80mm is fine as long as you stick to f8, this mean that the actual aperture you'll be using will be around f16. Which also means that you'll have to use a fast film or a tripod to steady your shot. But make sure you buy one that has 7 elements ($170). However, 160mm is not going to get you those huge egg yolk sunset, you'll need at least 200mm-300mm. So forget about the TC until you've a lens with a bigger aperture, eg, 100mm f2.

Like ck has mention, make sure you shot enough film to jusitify the need to purchase better equipment. It's passion, persistent and lots of patience that differentiate between a pro and a armatuer, not just the equipment.
Hey, even the 200mm end of my 80-200 does not give me the egg yolk sunset. :( Probably need 400-600mm.

Regards
CK
 

currahee

New Member
Jun 6, 2002
307
0
0
Bishan
Visit site
#16
great advice....guess will try to use the 50mm focal length of my lens.
but find it a trouble to setup a tripod for a shot
do u all usu set up a tripod for most shots?
 

munfai

New Member
Apr 19, 2002
1,354
0
0
39
#17
it's one of the most important habits that you need to pick up, troublesome or not.
 

currahee

New Member
Jun 6, 2002
307
0
0
Bishan
Visit site
#18
the aperture settings are very impt in photo taking, thus that explains for the use of the tripod to steady the shot rite?
 

munfai

New Member
Apr 19, 2002
1,354
0
0
39
#19
Originally posted by currahee
the aperture settings are very impt in photo taking, thus that explains for the use of the tripod to steady the shot rite?
well... your aperture settings affect your shutter speed, and your film speed plays its part as well in determining the correct exposure. so you can't just isolate aperture as the only reason.

you use a tripod to reduce camera shake, for taking long exposures. and it can be handy when you're trying to take a shot at a different angle...
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom