lens to start for newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

htthach

Feb 26, 2006
dover
Which is a good lens to start for newbie with tight budget and not sure what gonna shoot?
(coz ppl always ask what i shoot, and i don know, so, let say all purpose ?)

for those lens that come with fix focal length, does it mean no zooming stuff? :embrass:

oh, canon mount btw

htthach said:
Which is a good lens to start for newbie with tight budget and not sure what gonna shoot?
(coz ppl always ask what i shoot, and i don know, so, let say all purpose ?)

for those lens that come with fix focal length, does it mean no zooming stuff? :embrass:

oh, canon mount btw

How much you want to spend for the lens.
Fix focal length that mean no zoom...:)

If fixed, get the canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II. For zooms, the tamron 28-200 or canon's EF 75-300.

i hav same thread in "canon" box.
intend for DSLR
budget around 200
starter only, don know much yet

don't u have a kit lens to start with?

I still like Canon's 28-105 f3.5-4.5 USM. Great focal range for general shooting plus quiet and fast focussing with the USM. Try to search for a second hand one, should be around $200-250. May be abit much for you right now, but quite worth it in my opinion coz of the USM (once you start using canon lenses without USM or other third party lens without the USM equivalent, you'll really feel the difference).

50/1.8 is kinda too tele for [general purpose] but for ur budget its the best bang for buck

roti_prata said:
50/1.8 is kinda too tele for [general purpose] but for ur budget its the best bang for buck
You have noooooooooooooo idea what you talking about.

roti_prata said:

The 50mm is a normal lens close to the FOV of human eyes, so how can u say it's tele?

Your kit-lens should be enough to satisfy most of your day to day shoot.
If you need a further reach, get the Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro.
This will give you a further reach, and also allow you to shoot macro.
Once you can afford and get to know which focal length you shoot most, then you can invest in better quality lens. :bsmilie:

50mm prime. The best beginner lens :thumbsup:

kit lens 18-55 and the 50mm prime, which one better?
with a zoom lens can practice zoom skill?

obewan said:
Your kit-lens should be enough to satisfy most of your day to day shoot.
If you need a further reach, get the Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro.
This will give you a further reach, and also allow you to shoot macro.
Once you can afford and get to know which focal length you shoot most, then you can invest in better quality lens. :bsmilie:

heeh what does DG Marco stands for?? for a 70-300mm is the zoom part right? with DG Macro does it mean it has digital marco? sorry just trying to understand it better sorry if its a stupid Q. heheeh

I saw another lens with DC behind it.. the Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC what is DC in this case? D for digital? c??

what does it mean?

htthach said:
kit lens 18-55 and the 50mm prime, which one better?
with a zoom lens can practice zoom skill?

The kit lens can let you find out what zoom range you like, and offers you more flexibility. The 50mm prime makes you work on your composition and leg zooming skills, and will offer you much better picture quality and low light photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.