lens to bring for honeymoon

haikalguntor

Jun 11, 2012
marine parade
hello there people.

am going for my honeymoon in 6 months time. thinking of what lens to bring. will be heading to the south islands new zealand.

using a canon 550d.

torn among these lenses

tamron 17-50mm f2.8

tokina 12-24mm f4

canon efs 18-200mm

between these 3 which one should i bring along with my 50mm ?

why i say only one because i can only afford to buy one! lol

i will choose 17-50.

I am going for my first honeymoon too after having 3 kids to Hokkaido 2 weeks from now.

I'm taking a 24-105 and my 17-40. Uwa to shoot landscapes and kit lens to shoot my wife and myself (hhmm sounds horrible) Bringing my tripod too. And my filters as well. All this in my domke f6.

If you take 50mm then take uwa cause NZ has awesome landscapes so the 12 24 is great.

For 1750 and 18200, if you ask me, should be considered along with your 50mm. I.e. either the 50, 1750 or 18200.

I don't rate the 18200 highly though for its IQ. The 1750 non VC is sharper then the VC one. I use to own one so I really like that lens.

So if I'm you and I'm bringing the 50mm, I'd buy the tokina 11-16. Its more expensive than the 12 24 but the build is really awesome. And its a 2.8 so you get great dof of your wife. Popping her up so to speak.

though you're thinking of using the lens during the honeymoon, consider also the longer-term use.
18-200 is one-for-all kinda lens, but it may be heavy and whether you're ok with the f stop.
12-24 is wide lens, will you use it often after the honeymoon?
17-50 is standard zoom, and with the fix f2.8 usually is the lens people use most often --> my recommendation.

i would bring get the tokina 11 - 16 also.

landscape in NZ. :eek:

Yeah I would also actually go for the tokina 11-16 but its kind of out of my budget:( I only have a budget of $500

I'm actually looking into rental now. Since after my honeymoon I could always get the 17-50mm for Walkabout.thinking of renting the 11-16mm with something haha can't decide the other lens yet

Yah. Why not rent. Good idea. I ever ask rental of 11 16. Not expensive.

Yea..who knows you might not like it after all..so rent first will be good.

Enjoy your honey moon.. dont need too many lens..unless your wife love photography too.:bsmilie:

hey guys. thanks so much for the your great opinions.

as of now i kinda decided on renting a tokina 11-16mm for my trip. now deciding on buying either the tamron 17-50mm f2.8 or the canon 18-200mm or sigma 18-200mm. now this is a real headache. 17-50mm offers me much better picture quality and shoots great in low light but the 18-200mm offers me better reach and is more of a versatile lens,nothing special. hahaha.

can you guys help me out here? both is possible to get around the same price for 2nd hand.in my budget.

Since you want to rent the tokina 11-16, now between these 3 to buy,

tamron 17-50mm f2.8 / canon 18-200mm / sigma 18-200mm

I would go with the 17-50. Canon 18-200 is versatile (my gf use this) but the image quality is so-so and the small f stop doesn't help in low light (especially when you zoom to 200mm f/5.6).

I agree with silentseth.

Buy the Tammy 1750 non VC. Sharper. The reach is short enough so no need VC.

The IQ for the 18 200 is nothing to shout about. Next time then buy another longer reach. Don't buy the 55 250. Personally feel this lens is awful. But that's my take.

If you can afford, I'd buy the 24 105. On your 550d because the crop is 1.6, hence your reach is similar to 38.4 x 168. With your 11 16, its wide enough. With the 24 105, you get a better lens, a better IQ and if you ever change to full frame, you need not buy another lens.

Might be a better choice.

If budget is a concern then go for 1750 Tammy.

Good call for renting the uwa. Uwa practically useless in Singapore so renting is a better choice. Do share with me your rental price?

That said, which lens offers best IQ? Tokina, sigma, or canon 10-22?

Wall around lens u can consider tamron 28-75 f2.8. I love the bokeh for portrait. Then u able to have range from 10-75, only missing out about 18-28 in between.

Uwa practically useless in Singapore? Oh boy. Opening a can of worms here.

I agree with silentseth.

Buy the Tammy 1750 non VC. Sharper. The reach is short enough so no need VC.

The IQ for the 18 200 is nothing to shout about. Next time then buy another longer reach. Don't buy the 55 250. Personally feel this lens is awful. But that's my take.

If you can afford, I'd buy the 24 105. On your 550d because the crop is 1.6, hence your reach is similar to 38.4 x 168. With your 11 16, its wide enough. With the 24 105, you get a better lens, a better IQ and if you ever change to full frame, you need not buy another lens.

Might be a better choice.

If budget is a concern then go for 1750 Tammy.

personally i would also purchase the 1750 tamron. my number one choice. but the only appealing thing to me with the 18-200 is the convenience.haha. meaning i dont need to change my lens too often unless i go out with a specific idea in mind on what to shoot.

Good call for renting the uwa. Uwa practically useless in Singapore so renting is a better choice. Do share with me your rental price?

That said, which lens offers best IQ? Tokina, sigma, or canon 10-22?

Wall around lens u can consider tamron 28-75 f2.8. I love the bokeh for portrait. Then u able to have range from 10-75, only missing out about 18-28 in between.

sgcamerarental offering me a deal for 12 days for the canon 18-200 and 11-16 tokina for a total of $252! it sounds like a good deal to me.more than 50% off the nett price.

my only concern is with the 18-200. cant decide between that and the 1750 tamron. after discussing with my fiance i cant afford to buy a lens now:((

so bopian have to rent both lens for my honeymoon. better than nothing right? i would love to rent the 1750 (due to its way sharper IQ and good in low light) with the 11-16 for my trip but am afraid i would miss out on the longer reach. if someone can give me advice based on their personal experience on travelling, it would be great! ive been spending weeks on deciding which lens to bring! but at least now i know the 11-16 is a confirmed choice! hahaha. got progress

once come back from singapore i would buy the 1750 tamron as my walkaround lens:)

Last edited:
but now since im renting what is everyone's opinion on UWA lens? which would you bring with you? canon tokina or sigma?

i feel its the tokina but maybe because ive done extensive research on it but not the others.

Really depends on what you wish to shoot. If you want to shoot you wife, since you are always by herside then you don't really need the long reach. At 50mm it actually forces you to walk around for that shot. Ain't a bad thing.

I recall you will be bringing a 50mm ? Why not just the 50mm and the uwa.

For uwa the canon 10 22 is awesome. But so is the tokina 11 16. Not sure the price difference in rental. If not much then get the canon. At 22mm which is similar to a 35mm, its a lens allowing you to take street shots as at 35mm, its similar to how the eye sees it.

So my take, 10 22 if not much difference in price . And the 50mm if you already have one. Else rent the Tammy 1750.

Really depends on what you wish to shoot. If you want to shoot you wife, since you are always by herside then you don't really need the long reach. At 50mm it actually forces you to walk around for that shot. Ain't a bad thing.

I recall you will be bringing a 50mm ? Why not just the 50mm and the uwa.

For uwa the canon 10 22 is awesome. But so is the tokina 11 16. Not sure the price difference in rental. If not much then get the canon. At 22mm which is similar to a 35mm, its a lens allowing you to take street shots as at 35mm, its similar to how the eye sees it.

So my take, 10 22 if not much difference in price . And the 50mm if you already have one. Else rent the Tammy 1750.

great! i'll sure bear that in mind!